iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converted Case 475 Crawler

Started by g_man, April 15, 2011, 05:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I am still looking for a crawler. This time I found this Case 475 Cable Dozer. A blade from a 450B has been put on in place of the reel stuff. 4Way, up/down and Tilt. No angle. Runs good. Started a little hard - used ether. Dark smoke at first then white. Ran smooth and quiet. From the little I know U/C looks good and pins/bushings are 25% worn from charts. The blade lift cylinders looks small to me. Pads are 18".
Does anyone have any thoughts on these. One thing I wonder about is the lack of blade angle where I plan on using it to clear snow on skid roads for my tractor. Owner says no problem. Asking price is 11K

mad murdock

What year is it? I ran a 1972 case 350 (little brother), but it was a dozer w/6way blade.  We used it for skidding, it was equipped with a gafner loader on the back end, and we pulled a wheeled dray behind it.  The only thing about it that I did not like as a skidding machine, was its steering.  The Case steering is by bands that slow the track on the side you pull the lever, which is great if you are pushing, as you never have a track totally disengage, but when pulling something, the tendency was to pull too hard on the lever, since the turn action was not that quick with a load behind.  After a short time of this, you would either stretch the steering band, or break it outright, then you had to pull the back trannsmision case off, to access the band.  Easy to do if you don't have anything mounted on the back of the machine, but a PITB, if you did, (which was our situation).  Overall a decent machine.  Sounds like the engine on your machine may be close to a sleeve job, if it is addicted to ether, and you are puffing white smoke, sounds like your compression may be low.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

chevytaHOE5674

The lack of an angling blade won't be good for clearing roads of snow. I clear a couple miles of bush and pasture roads in the winter and push one patch up the middle with the blade straight, and then one down each side with the blade angled. Makes a perfect road width with the banks far enough back to push future snow.

g_man

I was wondering about the steering being slow the way it works.  But it also has left and right track breaks. I was thinking that would make it turn better. More like a JD. Is that true?

mad murdock

I can't remember if the brake disengages the drive on the track, or locks it up :-\  Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject.  Wish I could remember, been too long since I drove that machine ::)(30 years) yikes!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

s grinder

Gman,The steering system probably works like the big machines of yesteryear,when you pull the lever it disconnects power going to that side,just like putting a clutch in on a vehicle,thats why they call it a steering clutch,when you apply the brake peddle it applies a brake band around the steering clutch drum and locks the track,thus turning the machine.A good operator when making a slow gradual turn will just pull the lever back,killing power to that side and the machine will start walking that way without tearing up the ground or the under carraige.

g_man

This one works a little different. First one i've seen like this. Each track has a hi/lo transmission lever. You go both hi or both lo for straight ahead. To turn you put one hi and the other lo. So they are both driven but at different speeds. Then there is a brake pedal for each track but I don't know if it can lock the track or not.

snowstorm

case had 2 speed steering on everything above a 350. a 450 case is a lot lighter than a 450 jd and less power to the ground. have you looked on uncle henrys? been a few on there

captain_crunch

If you want it for logging lack of winch would be biggest factor Next check avaliblty of parts. UC looks to be sound
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

snowstorm

Quote from: g_man on April 15, 2011, 08:46:44 PM
This one works a little different. First one i've seen like this. Each track has a hi/lo transmission lever. You go both hi or both lo for straight ahead. To turn you put one hi and the other lo. So they are both driven but at different speeds. Then there is a brake pedal for each track but I don't know if it can lock the track or not.
think of it as a 2 speed powershift trans for each track. it worked pretty well. put one side in netrual step on the brake on that side for a pivot turn. 1 hi 1 lo power turn. try an find one with a 6 way blade you will be glad you did

arojay

I started with a JD 350 with 6 way and a winch that I found an arch for.  Without the angle ability it would have been useless to me for roadbuilding and plowing. Without the winch/arch it would have been useless for skidding. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

g_man

Thanks again for all your help and advise. I think I will pass on this one. There is a 450C I found in Feb. that is set up the way I want, but it is 200 miles away. Now that I have seen some locally and learned a few things I can make the trip and hopefully have a better idea what I am looking at.

JDeere

Gman,  The comments from other members are very good. However, the price seems high to me for an older small dozer. Price is always relative to the market and in this economy you are in the drivers seat. In addition to logging, we do a lot of earthwork and I can tell you that in the NE Kingdom, Northern NH and Western Maine sitework is DEAD. I know a number of site contractors that are hanging on by a thread and it's getting worse, not better. There will be some auctions coming and the deals will be very good if not great. They have a few auctions over your way, Fairley, VT comes to mind and I have never been there but I have heard of some great deals people have gotten. Good luck in your search. Patience will pay off.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

northwoods1

No angle on the blade would make me not want that machine even for a lot less money. A winch and an arch is a big plus if you can find it. I like the looks of that rake though that could be handy for a lot of things.

chevytaHOE5674

Remember that if you find a machine with a winch and an arch that has been used heavily in the woods that the final drives take a beating with all that extra weight being leveraged on them.

When I was looking for my dozer all the guys I talked to that own/operate dozers said don't buy one used with an arch and a winch, add them later if you want them...

g_man

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 17, 2011, 09:56:18 AM
Remember that if you find a machine with a winch and an arch that has been used heavily in the woods that the final drives take a beating with all that extra weight being leveraged on them.

When I was looking for my dozer all the guys I talked to that own/operate dozers said don't buy one used with an arch and a winch, add them later if you want them...

That sounds smart. Your saying the bearings in the final drives take a beating ?
What should I expect to pay for an add on arch and winch ?? - Probably need to find a machine being  parted out.

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah the final drive bearings take a beating because of the extra weight. The drives were ment for the weight of the machine really, when you add the arch and winch you add a bit of weight and then when you get some logs up tight to the arch there is a lot of weight on those bearings.

Ed_K

And on an old td6 their $107 a piece.
Ed K

snowstorm

Quote from: g_man on April 17, 2011, 07:59:56 AM
Thanks again for all your help and advise. I think I will pass on this one. There is a 450C I found in Feb. that is set up the way I want, but it is 200 miles away. Now that I have seen some locally and learned a few things I can make the trip and hopefully have a better idea what I am looking at.
200 miles west or east? if its east your almost here

g_man

south.  Thanks.
I called Tuesday - I was to slow it is gone.

snowstorm

there are sevral in uncle henrys this week. 350....450  jd......450 case....d3 cat

Thank You Sponsors!