iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer blade tensioner

Started by Buck, April 15, 2011, 07:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

A small problem always pops up when i hit the road sawing. The blade tensioner on my lt40 gave out during a blade change yesterday. I have the parts located and will be picking them up this morning. Is there any difficulty in this rebuild?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ellmoe

We just rebuilt ours yesterday. The only problem was those "too small" allen head screws. We could only get one out. I took the unit to a machinist to have the others removed. If you run into the same problem you may be able to loosen them by tapping with a small chisel. It was quicker for me to drop it off and have it done. I'll replace the screws with cap heads later. As for now,I coated the screws with "anti-seize".
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

That was a very simple rebuild.  I didn't have anyone there to take any pictures, and my hands were too oily to fool with the camera.  Refilling the reservoir with ATF took the most time.

I only rebuilt half of mine, the tightening side.  The entire unit would have to be removed to replace the bandwheel side and mine wasn't leaking, so I let it be.  The kit has the seals for both sides.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

Here are the rebuild instructions and the refill instructions. Hope this helps.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Magicman

Here is a picture of a failed rubber seal.  It had actually extruded between the piston and the cylinder wall.

Failed blade tensioner rubber seal.

This is my refill bottle with a tube spout.

I don't actually remove the threaded tensioner, just screw it all of the way out.

Refilling the reservoir. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Buck on April 15, 2011, 07:31:32 AM
A small problem always pops up when i hit the road sawing.

My blade tensioner failure actually prompted my Comfort Zone thread.  It happen the week before I was scheduled to travel that 160 miles one way.  If it had waited a week later, that $15 break down would have cost me big time.

Buck

Awe, I'm actually ashamed that I questioned this task. I think the phrase "So easy a caveman can do it" applies here. ::)

And.... Thanks guys!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

But, your experience may help someone else to not fear jumping into an unknown maintenance item.  We all learn from sharing our experience with each other.   ;)

Norm

Mine needs to have this done, where are you guys finding the bottle with the long flexible tube at?

customsawyer

When I had a LT40 I would just use the spray bottle that I used to lube the rail and chain. You will miss the small hole a bit but not enough to worry about.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: Norm on April 17, 2011, 08:51:45 AM
Mine needs to have this done, where are you guys finding the bottle with the long flexible tube at?

Many parts stores have a display of the oilers at the checkout.  I'll look and see if I may happen to have an (almost) empty one.

Norm

Thanks for the offer MM but I don't want to impose on you. I'll have Patty look when she's there on Monday getting a battery for the 4 wheeler.

Chuck White

Quote from: Norm on April 17, 2011, 08:51:45 AM

Norm;
I just use a common plastic pepsi bottle.

I located some clear plastic tubing similar in size (1/8 inch or so) to the tubing on a bike or 4-wheeler battery vent!

I drilled a hole, slightly smaller than the tubing in the middle of the pepsi bottle cap and squeezed the end of the tubing and pushed it through the hole in the cap.

Once inside about ΒΌ inch I just flexed it a little and it expanded outward against the drilled hole.

Works great!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

Thanks Chuck appreciate the help.  :)

wwsjr

I use a large plastic syringe without the needle and a small piece of tubing on the end. Had some on hand that I use on the llamas and horses. Worked great for me.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Slingshot

Norm, check Patty's sewing room (if she has one). Sewing machine oil also comes in those
little bottles with the pull out flex spout.

Magicman

Yup, We have a Kenmore bottle that is well over 40 years old that came with Pat's first sewing machine.

That little spout telescopes out of the bottle 8" and all of the way back in for storage.

Norm

Hmmm Patty does quite a bit of sewing but I'm not allowed to play with her toys. Something about go break your own stuff.  :D

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Norm on April 18, 2011, 07:19:26 AM
I'm not allowed to play with her toys. Something about go break your own stuff.

Now, let me think....where have I heard that before.  Ok, yea....from the wife. :D ;D :D ;D

Bruce

Norm

Quote from: sparks on April 15, 2011, 09:44:27 AM
Here are the rebuild instructions and the refill instructions. Hope this helps.

I tried to download this pdf but it does not show up. Anyone have a clue why?

AvT

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Norm

Magicman

Norm, Both loaded for me also with Firefox/Adobe.   Did you find a bottle?

Norm

Yep sure did Lynn, and thanks to LeeB for sending me the PDF's.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!