iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off my rocker

Started by Dodgy Loner, April 14, 2011, 03:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my latest project. It's a rocking chair for my dad. Not for him to sit on, mind you, but for his grandkids which seem to be multiplying lately. He's already got two (my sister's kids) with one on the way in May (my brother's). The chair is an almost-exact copy of a chair that belonged to my grandfather when he was a kid. The only detail I changed was the shape of the arm, just to give it a personal touch. For once, my Father's Day project is completed early! 8)

A closeup of the arm detail

The pegged slats

Seat weaving

Side-by-side to a normal chair for size comparison
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Nice work Dodgy  8)  8)

How was the seat to do?

I have a friend in Tenn. that made me a couple of chairs and the backs are hickory bark.

They are very comfortable and get more comfortable every time we use them.

I'd like to try it sometime.

I know nothing about it.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Wow, that wood has an awful lot of character!   The little ones will love it.  Tackling a chair has always been intimidating to me.  You did a fine job with that one  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That's a nice chair Dodgey, every kid and their dad needs a rocking chair. I intend to try my hand at chairs one day, would sure like a nice rocking chair. Mom said when I was little <2 I would rock in a little chair much like that one. I had TB around age 2 and went to the Sanitarium for a while to be treated, when I came home I never rocked. Mom said she wondered what they did to make me not rock any more.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

SD,

I always thought that you rocked  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Well.........I rocked up at the UP and lugged some of them home. ;D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 14, 2011, 05:01:41 PM
How was the seat to do?

I have a friend in Tenn. that made me a couple of chairs and the backs are hickory bark.

They are very comfortable and get more comfortable every time we use them.

I'd like to try it sometime.

I know nothing about it.

Burlkraft, the seat was actually not hard at all. Probably the easiest part of the whole build. It's just a bit tedious as it took me about 5 hours to do. It was pleasant work - I sat on my front porch and enjoyed the weather for a couple of evenings while I was doing it. I am not sure what the material I used is. It is stuff that was left over from when my grandma recaned my granddad's chair in the 1960's. Last year I used it to recane my granddad's chair again, and I had just enough left to finish my dad's chair as well.

I am building another rocker in cherry right now, and that one, I believe I will weave with elm bark. I made some elm bark splits last night and found it easier to work with than hickory bark. Maybe I will find the time for a tutorial of making the splits and then weaving them :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Magicman

DL, It sounds like you have settled into your new environment very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

What about basswood bark Dodgey? I think it is very pliable and I know you don't have black ash, but green black ash pounded and knifed off the log is weavable, used for baskets up this way. You pound it to separate the earlywood from the dense wood of the latewood.

Dodgy Loner

Magicman, yes, I really like it here. My wife and I bought a beautiful old home in downtown McComb. I moved in last week, and it has a big shop in the backyard that's perfect for me. My wife won't be here until June (she's a schoolteacher and is finishing out the year), so I spend all of my free time in the shop to keep me occupied. I may have a sawing job for you if I can rustle up a trailer from one of my coworkers. Don't worry, the logs don't look like the ones in your post up in the sawmilling section :D :D :D

SD, I have a 10' length of green ash in my shop for just that purpose. I've been experimenting with all sorts of weaving materials this week, trying to decide what to weave my cherry rocker with. I made about 100' of white oak splits last night, too. They are not as consistent as my elm bark splits, but it might just be because the log quality was not ideal. I will have to process the ash log before I decide on my favorite. :) No basswood in this area, but I would like to try that as well some day.

WDH

A tutorial would be nice.

Magicman

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 15, 2011, 10:52:37 AM
I may have a sawing job for you if I can rustle up a trailer from one of my coworkers. 

I'll come to you.  I should also be able to find you some Basswood.  Just tell me how much you need.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Cardius

Banjo picker

Very nice chair there DL...My father in law has made a few nice ones....and welcome to Miss....I guess I haven't been keeping up with things...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

I just noticed the new location to. :D

thecfarm

Better get busy making another one. They'll be fighting over it.  ;D Very nice looking chair. That will bring back some memories for your father.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

Dodgy, you had better make some chairs for your future children. When they come along you won't have time to make chairs.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Magicman on April 15, 2011, 10:25:15 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 15, 2011, 10:52:37 AM
I may have a sawing job for you if I can rustle up a trailer from one of my coworkers. 

I'll come to you.  I should also be able to find you some Basswood.  Just tell me how much you need.

That would be great, but the landowner won't let me mill the log on his property. He was kind enough to give it to me, so I can't complain :). No worries, though. One of my co-workers is lending me a trailer on Monday. I'll give you a call later this week.

Banjo: Thanks for the welcome. I like it here!

Pigman: The next iteration will be in cherry, with elm bark seat. Pictures to come later this week, I hope! That one will be for my in-laws, though. I guess my future children will just have to sit on my future floor ;)

Magicman

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 17, 2011, 04:21:02 PM
I'll give you a call later this week.

I'm set up at Union Church, which is about 20 miles West of Brookhaven.  The customer didn't have enough logs for his project so I'll just wait for him to fell, buck, and skid more.  We can saw there, no problem.  Just call.   smiley_thumbsup

metalspinner

That little chair looks great, Dodgy.

Did you bend the rockers?  They look flat enough that maybe they were sawn out?  That would be a good use for those quartersawn boards that get a severe crook in them.  Or boards sawn from a very curved trunk.

My first chair was a rocker and it will be my last chair. :D  I went with Shaker tape for the seat, but the natural materials have so much more character and dimension to them.

Nice job. :)  What about some pics of the new shop?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

I should have bent the rockers, but the original had rockers that were simply shaped from a board and so that's what I chose to do. I suppose it has lasted 70 years, so hopefully mine will too :). I did steam-bend (or boil-bend, rather) the back splats.

No more chairs for you, huh? I have caught the chair bug. I should be finishing up my second rocker tomorrow, and it has turned out so well that I may have to build a full-sized one for myself ;D

I keep meaning to get pictures of the shop, the house, the garden, etc. but I just get home and start working and before I know it, it's dark :-\

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 20, 2011, 09:10:05 AM

I have caught the chair bug. I should be finishing up my second rocker tomorrow, and it has turned out so well that I may have to build a full-sized one for myself ;D

Yes, you do need one.  :)

My great grandfather built one from naturally bend wood and I think elm bark for the back and seat. It was here at the house for years and my brother put it outside in the yard at his place. Well, it's not built to last in the elements. It used to be at grandfather's camps for years and my uncle's camp on the hill behind gramp's house. Some people don't take care of stuff. ::)

WDH

Dodgy,

You don't need a chair if all you do is come home and work till dark :D.  Now me, on the other hand..... ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!