iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mighty mite band blade sharpener

Started by slickhowze, April 13, 2011, 02:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slickhowze

I have recently came into the ownership of both a mighty mite band blade sharpener and setter.  My question is whether or not the blades off my timberking 1220 (currently timberking blades) can be sharpened on this machine and if anyone has one of these machines or knows anything about setup or if anyone has any literature on this particular sharpener. other questions I have regarding the mighty mite are:  Do you know if I can use any brand sharpening wheels on this machine or if I can only use mighty mite wheels.  This machine came to me at no cost but no grinding wheel and if I can get it up and running for minimal cost without having to switch blades it would be a great help.  Thanks for any help.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

You can Google Mighty Mite and get the info that will be required to get your sharpener up and running.

Each type of band will likely have it's own profile and you may need to get a different cam for your sharpener to match the blades you now have.

Each sharpener will require a specific diameter and thickness sharpening stone, with a specific diameter arbor and a specific grit within the stone.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slickhowze

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried google.  I have been on the Mighty Mite website and even talked to a mighty mite rep.  they don't have any info on their sharpeners on the website.  I did get the info to order a grinding stone.  The rep said they have information in their sawmill manuals about the sharpeners but he wasn't very informative and i didn't want to buy the sawmill manual if it wasn't going to help me.  I hoped to find someone who owns a mighty mite sharpener that might have a manual that knows if the information about the sharpeners is worth the purchase.  As far as cams the rep did tell me they offer three different cams but all set up for their blades.  The reason for my concern is that the guy that gave me the sharpener broke the stone when trying to set it for his blades and I have no experience with sharpeners.  I greatly appreciate the help and I enjoy all the information on the forum.

Chuck White

Maybe it would be a good move to edit your first post and change the subject to "Mighty Mite blade sharpener".

Just click on the eraser on the right hand side of your post!

You would probably get more attention!

There are some who own and operate Mighty Mite sawmills and most likely have a MM sharpener.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sgschwend

MM sells Timber Wolf saws.  So I would guess that at least two of the cams are that profile (7/8,  1" pitch).
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

Slick, with a company still in business their the ones to give you straight poop and wheels.When calling any business you have to break through the sales firewall and talk to engineering or the owner anyone outher than sales will usally give you knowledable ansers.For grinding wheels most all smaller co's just sell off the shelf products,you need to take measurements.Most sharpeners you need to shape the wheel  to the shape of the gullet just below the face of the tooth the cam then sweeps the stone/wheel up the back of the next tooth to clean the gullet. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Another note:

When you contact the company that has the grind stone you need, ask them if they would profile one of the new stones to match the blades you are using.

When I ordered my sharpener from Cook's, the "rock" was profiled and ready to go!

Hilltop366

slickhowze

thanks for all the info i'm getting closer.  I just need more time to work on it.

LOGDOG

Try Wright Machinery Corporation in Portland, Oregon I believe. They made the Mighty Mite sharpeners. I had one myself. You can get parts for them there.

slickhowze

Is that where you bought grinding wheels for your sharpener.  Fourty dollars for a grinding wheel through mighty mite seems a little high.  Am I wrong in thinking this.  It calls for a 6in x 3/8 x 5/8 inner bore grinding wheel

LOGDOG

I always forget it's Wright "Tools" ...not Wright "Machinery". Good call Scrout.

slickhowze

Thanks for the link.  I ordered the grinding wheel that I needed. $18 is a whole lot better than $40. The website had a link to a setup video that was helpful also.  The salesman that I talked to said they did not make the mighty mite sharpener.  If they didn't someone did a good job copying their design because my sharpener looks just like the one on their site just a different color.  again thanks for all the help.

slickhowze

I got the grinding wheel I ordered if fit perfectly.  I am having a little trouble with the cam not matching the pitch.  I am running a 7/8 pitch blade.  Is there any way to determine what pitch the cam is ground for other than trial and error and do you know if the Wright cams will also fit the mighty mite.  Since I don't have any money tied up in this sharpener other than the grinding wheels  I have decided to modifying the current cam myself as it is only the advance arm cam that is not correct.  does anyone forsee any problems in me grinding this cam so it will back up the arm far enough to drop in the next tooth. 

Tom

The outside perimeter of the cam is to fit the shape of the gullet and the tooth.  There are adjustments for the distance that the band is pushed that will allow for the tooth spacing.   If the problem is just tooth spacing, then don't go grinding on the cam until you are sure which of the many adjustments are at fault, put a longer or adjust longer, the shaft that pushes the band.

WILDSAWMILL

i have a wright sharpener i wood not recomend it
Kascosaw2B

LOGDOG

Why is that WILDSAWMILL? I had one briefly and found it did a nice job. Granted LogMaster had put it on a nice heavy stand and such to anchor it but the grind overall was nice and clean. Seamed to have good power. It went back with my LogMaster mill and adger when I returned them though. That's the only reason I don't still have it.

slickhowze

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2011, 04:16:31 PM
The outside perimeter of the cam is to fit the shape of the gullet and the tooth.  There are adjustments for the distance that the band is pushed that will allow for the tooth spacing.   If the problem is just tooth spacing, then don't go grinding on the cam until you are sure which of the many adjustments are at fault, put a longer or adjust longer, the shaft that pushes the band.
the mighty mite sharpener has two cams one is strickly for the advancement arm the other is for the profile.  I can adjust how far the arm pushes the blade but not the distance that the arm moves between the teeth this is determined by the cam. 

LOGDOG

I "might" have a cam for 7/8" spacing for the mighty might sharpener I had. I sent it out west to be evaluated and ended up telling them to scrap it. Prior to that I remember I ordered a cam. I can't recall if I replaced it or not. I also ordered some grinding wheels. I think that stuff is out in one of my storage trailers. I'll look. If I still have it, you're welcome to have it.

Tom

QuoteI can adjust how far the arm pushes the blade but not the distance that the arm moves between the teeth this is determined by the cam.

That's a really strange design.    ...never mind.  :)

LOGDOG

Like I said ...I scrapped mine. Read between the lines.  :-X

slickhowze

Quote from: LOGDOG on May 06, 2011, 07:37:19 PM
I "might" have a cam for 7/8" spacing for the mighty might sharpener I had. I sent it out west to be evaluated and ended up telling them to scrap it. Prior to that I remember I ordered a cam. I can't recall if I replaced it or not. I also ordered some grinding wheels. I think that stuff is out in one of my storage trailers. I'll look. If I still have it, you're welcome to have it.
that would be great let me know if you find it.  I would be more than happy to pay shipping on it.

WILDSAWMILL

the wright is a dry grind , it over heats to easyly
the stones that wright recomends wear off in one pass enough that the tooths are not all the same
theres no accurate way to set degrees . instructions suck
did i mention it overheats the tooth , espeasly if its 90 or hotter in shed
Kascosaw2B

slickhowze

which would be the sharpener of choice not that I am going to purchase one. At least not until I am completely disgusted with the freeby. Has there been a past thread that dealt with the sharpener topic.

Thank You Sponsors!