iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed for LT40

Started by postville, April 13, 2011, 08:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

I'm thinking of making a shed for an LT40 to keep it out of the weather. Anyone have some ideas of a simple plan? Just for storage, not to saw in. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Chuck White

If I were going to build a shed to store (not saw) my LT40 in, it would being 20' x 40' !

The mill would fit in a shed 10 x 30, but you wouldn't have much room there once the mill got in!

The 20 x 40 would give you room to work on the mill and do your preventive maintenance and alignment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I agree with Chuck that you need to build only once and not have to add on.  I would want a designated space to store boxes of blades, my storage boxes with my spare parts, chainsaws, etc.  It may not be 20', but it would be a minimum of 12'. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

why not go alittle bigger and saw in it ?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ljmathias

Well, I love being under roof.  Here's a picture of the shed I built a while back and have my LT40 hydraulic in ever since- got a whack or two of logs under there...

Ooops! Forgot to put a roof on at the time.  Actually got so excited about the shed that as soon as I had the slab poured, I drilled holes for the stationary leg brackets and set her up.... then I built the sawmill around her.  Weird way to go, and certainly not recommended- I could have dropped one of the 30' beams on and wrecked all kinds of stuff... but I finally did get her covered up:

and truth be told, I have no real desire to ever go mobile again, although I kept all the wheels and stuff just in case (when) another hurricane strikes and need to go help mill somewhere else.

Good luck, and remember two important pieces of advice found throughout the forum topics related to this(and I'm paraphrasing others on this): you can build it too big, and we like pictures... as someone on the forum (who shall remain nameless) once said: If you don't show us pictures, it didn't happen...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Sawmill_Nick

20' x 40' would be a perfect size for storing the mill and doing a little sawing.  When I first got the mill I built this barn 20' x 45' and we used it to saw indoors.

After about 4 years I have outgrown this barn and wanted more room to move around and to store lumber also.  So recently I have built a 42' x 104' barn.

It always seems easier to saw under a roof as you never have to move the mill and set up every time you need to saw a log.  Like everyone always says, you can never build it big enough.

Nick

slickhowze

if you are looking for something quick and small take a look at timberkings website their is a guy that has just a shed for the head of his mill http://www.timberking.com/customer_photos_videos_and_testimonials

beenthere

slick
I believe I recall of a similar shed in a thread on this forum.
Parked the mill head in the shed at the end of the track.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Bob...Saw under cover and out of the wind in December or January just once and you'll want a shed you can saw in.
Sawing under cover in single digits is actually pretty nice. You can work with out sweating.

I'm planning on having a slab poured and then saw out the building right there.
I want to do a 20 x 40     3 1/2 walls with a 22' opening for loading the mill.
Then a garage door in the opposite end to send the lumber out.

Yup...One of these days.......... ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

That is indeed the one, thanks Jeff.
Sure wouldn't have guessed it was that long ago tho.   Whew!! time sure flies by.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

A mill worth owning is a mill worth protecting.Nothing worse than laying in bed at night listening to a heavy rain and knowing baby is out in it.Before I put my bandmill indoors I had a roof attached to one end that would protect the bandhead and sawyer. I have noticed midwest farmers are real good about keeping their machinery under cover outher parts of the country not so.Years of usefull service is added to equipment if its protected from the weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on April 14, 2011, 02:17:11 PM
Whew!! time sure flies by. 

At least your "rememberer" still works.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPM in King

Bob, I went with something like this:

http://www.cover-tech.com/portablegarages.htm

While it's not wood, it does the job of keeping the rain and snow off my rig.  I do plan on building a roof that I can cut under.  But, for the money, this works well.

Steve.

Thank You Sponsors!