iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

M-14 dog board size

Started by Birk-man, April 13, 2011, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birk-man

Hi All,

I'm getting into the nitty-gritty of the final setup of the mill.

I picture that I want the last board left clamped to the carriage by the dogs (the dog board?) after I make the last cut from a cant to be a useful thickness.  What do other M-14 users find to be the minimum dimension of their dog boards?

The blade guide in a 'neutral' adjustment would suggest that the blade ends up about 1 1/2" away from the outside of the track support.  When I place the mandrel shaft in the bearings and leave about a 1/8" clearance between the inner collar and the bearing, the blade is closer to 2" away from the track support.

Is there something I am overlooking that is the determining factor in the thickness of the dog board?

Peter

bandmiller2

Peter,do you have a copy of the Belsaw instructions?With most mills your dog board can be 1" but your always nervous cutting that last board things look awfully close.Some sawyers don't try for one inch but make the dog board 2" alot depends on your confidence in your mill and if was set up to cut to 1".Wile your building move things around before you fasten them down,pull your setworks over twords the saw side you should have about 1/2" of ledge for the dog board to sit on with the dogs clearing the saw by 1/2" or so.I'am sure the Belsaw guys will chime in,I have always set up my circular and bandmill to cut to 1".Peter as to having everything figure out so when you cut your cant your dogboard ends up exactly 1" good luck,all you can really do is make yourself a chart figuring board thickness plus kerf  so lets say it figures out to 12 1/2" for X no. of boards you slab to that dimention and cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

captain_crunch

Mine will end up with a 2" dog board and that allows dogs to clear saw about 1/4" Just make sure dogs are ALL the way in or BooBoo
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Cappy Crunch,what actually limits the dog board thickness on a Belsaw,the bearing or the carriage and headblocks?? thanks Frank C.

Dave_

On mine, I can just get 2 inch and that is in slow motion with my head on a swivel.   The dogs limit getting any closer.  If you could cut without dogging you could get closer, but that extra little bit isn't worth the drama of a live board.

captain_crunch

What stops head block travel on a Belsaw is the slots the ratchet gears run in

This is my parts carrage with shake jig on it
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

KyTreeFarmer

Birk-man
I am thinking that when I set up my Belsaw(also on wood frame)that I had to hang the saw on the mandrel, move the carriage so that one of the headblocks was next to the saw, advance the headblocks all the way, then measure from the saw to the headblock and set the mandrel according to how thick I wanted the dogboard to be. Not really sure if you can get much closer than 2" Don't forget to allow clearance for the dog!!! Mine is set for a 2" dogboard. Looks like you are getting really close to makin some sawdust. Good luck!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

captain_crunch

Look at my pic above note width of dog holder 2" is scarrie close to saw without altering headblocks 2" is as close as you can get without sparks :o :o

bandmiller2

Theirs no harm in 2" dogboards its like automatic framing lumber with each cant. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!