iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chris and Al's Two Blokes & A Lucas Mill Tour U.S.A.

Started by Meadows Miller, April 12, 2011, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday Everyone

Some of you already knew this was coming and has been in the pipeline for a while  ;) ;D After talking to Warren Lucas the other year up at the factory about things in general and doing some demos for them in the states while I was on a holiday to which he said that he would be more than happy to loan Me His and Baileys pickup and a Lucas Mill 10-30 to tour around in when ever I wanted to go over for a trip :o :)  ;D  8)  8) 8) Lucas and Baileys are also putting in more than enough money to cover the fuel for the trip which is more than Allan and  I could want  :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D

It has come about this year and I will be traveling the States for about three months starting in CA about the 20th of July to the middle of October and after talking with Allan one night a few months back I said you might as well come too Mate, he will be meting up with me at the end of August and we will be traveling together till the end of the trip  which will be just after The Great Sawmill Shootout ;D ;D 8) 8)

We will be covering a fair amount of ground on this trip and will be going through a lot of states CA Baileys Woodlands Demo day the 23rd of July  ;)  then up to WA across to Mi (Pig Roast ;D ;D 8)) across to Rock Springs PA for the Ag Progress Days ten on the 17-19th of August . then down south to GA and FLA to catch up with a few forum members and across to Mississippi for a few weeks to visit with Banjo Fispharmer & Magic then heading up to Ohio for Sawlex Shootout and Paul Bunyan show on the 7-9 of October  ;)

I am keeping things pretty open as far as a planning goes at the moment apart from the 3 main events Lucas & Baileys have asked us to do, so if you have wanted to see  a Lucas mill running here is a good chance for you to do so, or if you are a Lucas mill owner that loves to talk Sawmilling and Lucas mills like Al and I we would love to see you there or do a demo day/ forum get together  at your place  ;)

And we are also open to offers of accommodation along the way ;) like i said there is no real plan Just get there and have fun while doing it plus Al and I will have our Swags  ;) :D ;D 8)

Also if You have some logs that you want sawn or slabbed for a project just send me a pm I should be able to mill them up for you  ;)

I am really looking forward to this trip only 3 months to go  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Chris, are you going to make the big northeast loggers show in Bangor Maine.You know with all the members here you have pit stops all across the country mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

whiskers

Bring it on Chris. When will you have more info on the Ga./ Fla. leg of the trip and will you be sawing thereabouts? I'd like to see you fellows and that Lucas put through it's paces.
many irons in the fire.........

fishpharmer

Sounds like the experience of a lifetime.   8)   Way to go Chris and Allan.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WH_Conley

Seein as how you will be coming from Mississippi to Ohio, you have to be passing between the Kentucky contingent of the Forestry Forum. We got to make arrangements for a stop over. Might be able to find a place to sleep and a bite to eat. Oh, by the way, what is a swag anyhow?
Bill

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

Best of luck to you guys, sounds like its shaping up to a trip you won't forget in a hurry.... Don't forget the vegemite. ;)

Jeff those swags are really good quality I am hopeing to have my 25yr old swag replaced with one this comeing birthday.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

taylorsmissbeehaven

If you guys make it through North Carolina I would love a chance to check out your mill! Might even have a place to throw your swag and a little hot water. Good luck and keep us posted. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

terrifictimbersllc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagman
Swag is a waterproof bed roll.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzing_Matilda
Somehow I learned these words on a farm in Indiana, don't know how that happened. 

From the Swagman page above:

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

york

Hey,good luck and i will see you guys at Rock Springs,pa

Bert
Albert

laffs

sounds like an adventure to me. a chance to mill some logs and meet a lot of different people along the way. youl have fun for the 3 months and memorys for a life time
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Nomad

You'll be covering a whole lot of ground!  Hope I'm in the area when you make the Fla/Ga portion of your trip.  I'd enjoy meeting you.  And it looks like I'll soon be the owner of a Lucas 10-30, so no doubt I'd have a large number of questions for you!

Bill
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sgschwend

Chris, I have a spot you could kip at. 

Let me know where you are going in WA, I may be able to drop in there.

Steve

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Woodbuzzer

I see that you guys are going to be in Rock Springs on Aug 17th-19th.I checked out there web site and it says that the Ag Days are the 16th-18th.Well anyway tht NYS Woodsman Field Days are Aug 19th-21st. in Boonville NY,which I would guess is about a 5 hour drive from Rock Springs.You could get a spot there and demonstrate your mill.I know that Hudson and wood miser will be there along with a whole bunch of other venders.Check out there website at NYS Woodsman Fieldays and go to the events and the Lumberjack Contest-you guys can even enter some  8)  8).You are more than welcome to stay at my camp on Kayuta Lake,which is about 10 miles from there.Think it over and let me know-Mark,alias buzzzzzz :) :)
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

ljmathias

Oh, to be young and foolish again... well, maybe not.  I guess I like sleeping at home and having my grandkids around and my own tools to work with.  Anyway, you guys have fun and keep us posted- would like to get together with you all when you make it to the Deep South.  Just be aware, when someone down here says "You ain't from around here, are you?" he might not cotton to you, as we say, especially if he's a deputy sheriff looking to make his speeding ticket quota.  :)  On the other hand, Southern hospitality is like no other- friendly folk who will treat you like royalty (unless you drink a little too much and start saying or doing stupid stuff...). 

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sigidi

Hey Chris 8) ;D Yay, ya dropped the bomb on our little trip huh? SWEET!!

Well I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Slingshot

'watch out USA  :D'

Is what I was thinking. We'd all better be on the lookout this summer for Two Blokes in a pick-up
pulling a saw-mill driving across the country on the 'wrong side of the road'   ::) ::) :) :D  sling_shot

customsawyer

We get folks that drive on the wrong side of the road from time to time but they are usually looking at there cell phone or something like that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slingshot

Yeah, but it is a little hard to spend your lifetime driving on the left side of the road like
in Aus and England and then have to transition overnight to driving on the right side. >:(

--------------------
sling_shot

ljmathias

Naw, it's real easy, you just drive backwards...   ;D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

sandhills

Quote from: ljmathias on April 17, 2011, 08:52:23 PM
Naw, it's real easy, you just drive backwards...   ;D

Lj
Enough people around here already do, so you guys would fit right in  :).  If you're anywhere near Nebraska stop in, have a bite, and get a good nights sleep.

metljakt

Aussies running Lucas mills always win US Shootouts.  No worries mate.

Banjo picker

Chris are you  still shooting for the end of Aug or the first of Sept. to arrive here in Iuka..?  You will be about 70 miles from Jackson Tn....If things change let me know...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!