iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade bandsaw question

Started by Tyrin2saw, April 12, 2011, 01:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrin2saw

Hi all how goes it.  I have been wanting to build my own saw for about a year now n have finally started. one of a bunch of questions i probly have is about the vertical guidance of the saw head. do people run bearings or just slip fitting peices of round or square tubing. will the slight jiggle between the 2 effect the cut.

thanks for any help JD

paul case

my ez boardwalk has square slip fit tubing with adjustable plastic rub blocks .

they have a metal strap on each side with a bolt and are on the inside of the head. you can see them in each picture. it only has one for each side. the plastic rub bars are probably 3/4''x 3/4'' and 2'' long.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

JD,when I built my bandmill I used two legnths of 1" shaft one on each side with bushings in each end of a 12" piece of shelby tube attached to the saw head.Give serious thought to hydraulics to ease the strain of handling logs.Theirs alot of information in past posts may of us have built our own. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

The plastic rub blocks that pc described above are probably Teflon.  They should be available as replacements from most sawmill manufacturers.  WM also uses them. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

On my LT10, it has the semi-cantilever design. The "main" post is round, and there is a sleeve around it that acts as a clamp. On the other side of the mill is just a bracket with two plastic "bumpers".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

fishpharmer

Hi JD,
Here is a link to a "simple sawmill"  website showing some details
http://kruppt.tripod.com/mill_2/img010.jpeg.html

My bandmill build began with the Bill Rake "simple sawmill" plans.  In the plans he suggests using a brass shim.  In my infinite wisdom (or lack of), I did not follow the plans very closely.  Some might say I didn't follow the plan at all. 

Here is a pic of my bandmill showing the cutterhead uprights.

I simply used two different sizes of tubing, male and female (I think its the best way) with no shims or plastic.  I had intended to somehow shim the tubes to prevent any jiggle.  As it turns out, the sheer mass of the cutterhead prevents any play except when actually moving the head up or down.  When moving the head up, it wants to shift slightly to one side.  When lowering the head it shifts back and stays in that position.  I decided to adjust everything so that it cuts parallel to the log bunks when it is in the "shift down" mode since I intended to cut all my logs from the top down ;).

On the mill in that pic is a 36 inch diameter Southern Yellow Pine log.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tyrin2saw

Thanks evry one for the replies and examples. Ive gone through tons of build posts old and new and 4 post seems 2 be more common. I  started buildin the main beam for the band wheels and due to lack of material i was headed toward 2 post. Im workin on gettin some pics up.

JD

Tyrin2saw

I cant seem to get pics in a post  I got em into my gallery but thats as far as i can get.

JD

beenthere

You have the hardest part done. Once your gallery is open, and your posting window here is open, just click on your gallery pic and scroll down below it where there are two sets of instructions. Follow one or the other.

Let us know where you get hung up, as sometimes with computers one doesn't realize just how close to being successful we are. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tyrin2saw

Thanks beenthere was missin that part think i got it now.  1st pic is the driven wheel side

This is the adjustable side, blade tension, toe and camber 

It is sitting upside down right now 
   JD                                                                                                         

Magicman

You have some major mechanics going on there.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rbarshaw

It looks like you're usind tires for bandwheels, that's what I used on my first mill, works good. I'm not sure from your pics, but do you have enough clearance for your tires once they are mounted, looks like they might rub the cross member?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tyrin2saw

Quote from: rbarshaw on April 13, 2011, 06:16:28 PM
It looks like you're usind tires for bandwheels, that's what I used on my first mill, works good. I'm not sure from your pics, but do you have enough clearance for your tires once they are mounted, looks like they might rub the cross member?
Yea im goin with tires on this one. i got a pair of shallow offset rims i run inside out with about 3/4'' - 1'' clearance to the beam.
I was wondering what width tires people r usin , i was thinkin maybe skinny donuts but dont no wats best. once i get right tires i'll measure for a band.

JD

paul case

nice fab work there. looks like you are on the right track.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

JD,your no pilgrim when it comes to welding and fabrication,I see you have your pussy in the shop for company. I would think those donut spare tires would be good.You may need a double "B" series pulley to drive the wheels.What are you planning to use for power.?? Frank C.

rbarshaw

Quote from: Tyrin2saw on April 13, 2011, 07:09:34 PM
I was wondering what width tires people r usin , i was thinkin maybe skinny donuts but dont no wats best. once i get right tires i'll measure for a band.

JD

I used mobilehome tires, i've seen probably every type of tire used, on this forum.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tyrin2saw

thanks evryone for the replies.
Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 13, 2011, 08:25:39 PM
JD,your no pilgrim when it comes to welding and fabrication,I see you have your pussy in the shop for company. I would think those donut spare tires would be good.You may need a double "B" series pulley to drive the wheels.What are you planning to use for power.?? Frank C.
I only have a 5hp briggs sittin around now, but or big regional swap meet is this fri-sun. Theres got to be sumthin bigger that will work. maybe some 24'' donuts that would give me 32'' between wheels and 18'' depth from beam. allways good stuff to be had at the swap meet.

JD

bandmiller2

JD,don't be afrade of power thats something everyone here agrees on,the bigest engine you can handle on your bandhead. Electric is best if you have three phase.You don't know now how long your band will be,when you get the wheels you can run a tape around.You will have a range of adjustment ask the band supplier if theirs a standard legnth that will fit makes it much easier for everyone.They sell "V" castor wheels that run on inverted angle iron^     ^ with roller bearings that work well for carriage wheels.If your mill will be stationary and you have 110-220 v you can use that to run hydraulic pumps blowers est. to save engine power. Frank C.

Tyrin2saw

Went to the swap meet and scooped a tecumseh hh120 12hp for $50 w/ gas tank.  I think its late 60's early 70 w/ original mouse nests. It has electric start that i need ignition switch for but the internals are in great shape cylinder is perfect n it had compresion. Also got 2x 3/4''x36'' acme rods n nuts + 3/4'' bore sprockets for the lifting part. The head is getting pretty heavy wonderin if 3/4 rods will be enough.

bandmiller2

JD,12 hp will do it but you still won't be awash with power.Are you planning to use screw thread and nuts to raise and lower the head?On my bandmill I used a hydraulic cylinder and wire cable to raise and lower the head controlled easily with a spool valve.If you have hydraulics its a simple matter to put a drum on a hyd. motor for cable feed.Frank C.

dovetails

Quote from: Tyrin2saw on April 17, 2011, 11:29:47 AM
Went to the swap meet and scooped a tecumseh hh120 12hp for $50 w/ gas tank.  I think its late 60's early 70 w/ original mouse nests. It has electric start that i need ignition switch for but the internals are in great shape cylinder is perfect n it had compresion.

Good deal! I have one looks just like it, took off an old rideing mower about 15 years ago,but mine is a 15hp,but the tank was bad. It has set on shelf in shop for 5-6 years,but hook gas to it, crank it over,and it fires right up.I used it on a big air compresor for a couple years,plenty of power on that. btw,I wouldn't let mine go for any less than about $200 if I was to sell it!  Easy to find bigger vertical shaft motors,side shaft not to common.  Love swap meets,go to a local one here every thursday and sat mornings.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

buildthisfixthat

any progress on the saw build ?bearings appear a bit close together also do you have enough adjustment for  the wheels ?
shop built bandsaw mill

millwright

Great looking work. What are you planning to use for a clutch to engage the wheels?

shelbycharger400

3/4 acme is plenty for what your doing.   if you want you can look at my chain bar mill im building, i have done a lot cince last picture, mainly this last week i have made huge progress, but i cant find the camera :( , anyway on mine  between the 12.5 hp motor, the 15" x 24" x 1/2" plate, the clutch...its over 150 lbs.  and im just using standard 3/4 rod. 11 turns/inch.

I can tell you, for dollar amount spent,.. $20 to $50 on a used horizontal Kohler 4 in lawn mower electric clutch are nice.  they are around 150 to 300 new. .  i adapted one from a 12hp kohler, and its on a 12.5 briggs vert..  i bolted it to a 1/2 in thick plate.  mine isnt done. but its nice to know a flip of a switch, or im going to use a thumb push switch to activate the clutch.
tubing im using is 2inch, and 1.5,  all is 1/8th in wall.  their is about a 1/4 total slop,  but with 4 corners sliding, the weight between being lifted on 2,  3/4 rods.. its very little rock, if problems arise, im going to grind a hole on one of the angles and weld in a weld nut, and put a bolt in, and slight tension. but the support tubes are 12in long.  when i build a new one.. im goin all aluminum... industrial erector set... also known as 80/20  No welding required.. drill a few holes, buy the corner brackets, bolt together.

One rule of thumb, over do it,  plan on everything you can thats in your control, then it will be the best you can do.  i planed probably 6 months.. with looking at several, many many pictures of slabbers online, and mine has taken over 2 years to construct, and i already have a list of things to upgrade, and im still workin on it.   also note.. the feet is stabilized over 3 ft, all 4 corner wheels are adjustable ( for welding warpage issues) trailer is 14 ft long. toung to tail.  with capable of cutting just a 9 ft log,  but i have crossmembers 12in on center,  2 are solid,  6 are removable.   the 6 contain the dogs,  that the dogs are all adjustable for 4in up ,,,then down. as well as in and out. in short..  the carrage was capable of 29 in wide, 34 in high, 11.5 single pass.  now with wheels on, ect,  main rails of saw deck (trailer) are 3 in sq tubing,  my crossmembers are 28 1/4,   dog pockets are 2in sq tubing with a set screw,  the max dia i can clamp at 4 in up or down is about 24in wide.   this is why i went with removable crossmembers. so when i come across  some smaller stock (12 pcs at 4 in, in 3/4 stock, with something to pocket them in, then weld that to 2 in tube for sliding on 1 5/8 round )   

Thank You Sponsors!