iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

english tying joint, straight post

Started by Alexis, April 12, 2011, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hello,

I haven't seen any discussion on the english tying joint with straight post that is pictured on page 42 of the white sobons book.

I haven't seen it used in any other frame and was wondering why. It seems nice, easy to cut, and way better than a lot of other joint we see. It's a lot easier to cut than the traditional english tying joint and doesn't require a joweled post.

any thought?

Alexis

Jim_Rogers

There are three locations of the tie beam to join the post.
One is below the plate, one is at the plate and the last is above the plate.

That example you site, is a good one for a frame that needs it above the plate. It is not a usual joint, so it could be why we don't see it very much.

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I think the use of SIPs has a lot to do with that, the Sobon house soffit details aren't exactly panel friendly.  But then again neither is Jack. ;)

There's an issue when used in a principle rafter and purlin structure like my office, I had to mill triangular fillers that sit on the plates so the panel screws had solid blocking to go though on their way to the beam.

OTOH: I really appreciate the extra headroom a tie over the plate allows and the fact that I could buy 8' post stock rather than 10'.  And I'll be using it whenever I want a fully ventilated roof.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!