iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had a close call today.

Started by rbarshaw, April 11, 2011, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

I was cutting some metal for my movable guides this afternoon and the 12" cutting wheel exploded in my face. I'm glad I was wearing safety glasses, it hit the glasses. I have two long scratches and two dime size scrapes on the right side of my face and a 2" long shallow cut on my forehead. I think I'll get a full face shield and stick to smaller cutting wheels in the future.
One piece of the wheel is stuck 2" into the rafter 8' straight up.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tom

Yep, you are lucky.  I had a friend, since deceased, who lost his thumb like that.  At least, with the smaller 4"-4 1/2" to 6" grinders, you can wield a safety shield on the machine easier.   Glad you didn't get the piece in the rafter imbedded in your head.  :)

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!

fishpharmer

That was close Robert, good you are ok.  I always wondered what would happen if one of those wheels came apart, now I know. :o.

The other good news is you were working on the mill 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

rbarshaw

I think that I slipped and twisted the metal about 1" into the cut, and that caused the wheel to shatter. It scared me, it felt like the side of my head had been ripped off, and looking in a mirror all I saw was blood, till I cleaned it up.

Banjo picker

Glad to hear you were not hurt any worse than you were...I have never had one blow up on me  as of yet, but I always check the rating of the wheel and the speed of the machine...I take it you were using a chop saw of some sort....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

rbarshaw

Quote from: Banjo picker on April 11, 2011, 09:21:49 PM
Glad to hear you were not hurt any worse than you were...I have never had one blow up on me  as of yet, but I always check the rating of the wheel and the speed of the machine...I take it you were using a chop saw of some sort....Tim

I was using a Shopsmith, more like a tablesaw with a gard in place to keep fingers out, doesn't keep blade in tho'. I had the speed 600RPM below rated.

Buck

Not sure if you  have ever had any moisture get to your wheels or not. But if you have dont use em. I've seen them come to pieces after being wet and then dried thinking they were ok.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

whiskers

Robert,  a few dings for a good lesson. Glad you weren't injured any worse.  Is it possible that your wheel had been wet and froze setting up the fracture lines? Once had an 8x1" bench grinder wheel blow up throwing pie shaped pieces and I suspect that to have been my problem. Taught me to always  stand clear of the wheels edge.
many irons in the fire.........

rbarshaw

I have used this same wheel over the last three days cutting similar size metal with no ill effects!

Meadows Miller

Gday

that was a bloody close call good to hear your OK Rob  ;) ;D ;D  I have only had one explode on me over the years and that was because i twisted a thin 9" in a cut a little then Bang  :o :o :o :o :) ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

barbender

I have a small Jet metal cutting bandsaw I bought years back, it cost about $400 if I remember right. That's some of the best money I ever spent, it makes metal fabrication much easier, and safer too. Sorry about your accident Robert, glad you are ok.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I'm glad that you are OK Robert.  Surely you are not trying to pass me in the headache department.   whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Glad you survived as well as you did.

A chop saw with a secured clamped piece may have limited that side stress on the cutting blade. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

Robert,

Glad to hear it was not any more serious. I too have a table saw setup to cut metal. I use it to cut sheet steel or plate and only use the rip fence, never the crosscut. Also, I make very shallow cuts; sometimes taking 3 or four passes depending the thickness.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Coon

Even the 4 1/2" zipcut cutting discs are dangerous.  A couple of years ago I was cutting a piece I had clamped in the vice which was mounted in the back end of the shop.  The disc just all of a sudden exploded. One piece flew through the air and stuck into the metal shop door which was about 60 feet away.   :o  Nobody was hurt but I sure as heck had to rush to the restroom to check my drawers.  :D  It turned out that we had gotten a bad box of cutting discs and about 60 % of them either exploded or cracked very easily.  We got our money back for the whole box and have only recently just tried the same brand again..... so far so good.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

Glad you are OK.Thanks for the warning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ole CB

Glad your ok. Thanks for the reminder. I've had a couple toss pieces at me..  Been lucky. I always wear safety glasses at least. I've had metal ground out of my eyes twice..  Not fun, ya gotta lay there and 'Watch' em do it!'

rph816

Glad you're OK.  Ditto on the metal cutting bandsaw, those big abrasive wheels always scared me.  It's good to have a reminder that these tools we use are dangerous, too bad it takes something like this though.

Ryan

r.man

The little ones can be dangerous too. I am used to getting the occasional shock and you start to judge them, mostly little tingles but sometimes a bit more. I thought my small grinder had shocked me worse than I had ever been hit before. My hand took the main jolt and it wasn't responding, except to register deadness. After the initial ouch I wondered how this had happened since I was plugged into a gfic circuit. That's when I realized I had registered a massive hit as a shock. My whole hand was partially numb but luckily had not received any serious injury from the zip cut shattering. I now wear gloves whenever using one and never pick one up without the safety glasses on. 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!