iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good homeowner firewood saw?

Started by barbender, April 11, 2011, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

One of my buddies is looking for a new chainsaw for firewood, he wants something decent but not too much $. I've always ran Huskies and Jonsereds, in the past I would have pointed him at a Husky 350 or Jred 2150, but they have updated both of those models and I'm really not too impressed with the new ones. So that got us looking at Stihls, which I have virtually no experience with. We were looking at the MS250, how would that saw compare to a Husky 350? He's looking to spend around $300.
Too many irons in the fire

gearman

Are we talking a couple face cords or is he feeding an OWB?
NH 55da, 270FEL, Farmi 351P, Husky 51, 359, Jonsered 2065, 2171
Well done is better than well said

simplicityguy92

the ms 250 is a good saw. i like mine i had it close to a year now and havent had any problems. its a fast cutting , light weight saw.

clww

I'd get the Stihl MS 250 through MS 290 on the top.  The 290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar should be right at $400 max.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

I have a 250 and for what it's worth it's a good little saw that starts up nice and is light. I like to use it to limb but I have also done a lot of felling with it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

John Mc

Just curious what your complaints were with the Husky 450? My impression was that it was a decent saw for a 50cc homeowner saw (Actually, Husky calls it a "Landowner" saw, supposedly a step up from a homeowner saw.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

barbender

Quote from: John Mc on April 11, 2011, 10:23:48 PM
Just curious what your complaints were with the Husky 450? My impression was that it was a decent saw for a 50cc homeowner saw (Actually, Husky calls it a "Landowner" saw, supposedly a step up from a homeowner saw.)
Probably I was just used to the 350, one thing I didn't like was the single bar nut. It just makes me wonder how many other things they changed like that, things that are supposed to make it easier for the weekend warrior but compromise the saw, IMO. The all plastic handle looked cheap too, but the Stihl ms250 had the same set up. Maybe I should be asking if anyone is using a 450 Husky and how they are working out for them?
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

Firstly you get the question of weather to buy new or used .

Now laugh and giggle if you want to but for an inexpensive firwood saw that will cut with the best of them it's hard to beat a Mac PM 610 or 650 .

They are a little heavy for 60 cc's but these things will last forever,can be purchased for under 100 dollars and will cut circles around those little 3 cube home owner Stihls or Huskys .On the other hand ,if someone feels they must purchase new I'd stay away from them .---an opinion,nothing more . :)

weimedog

This thought process opens another door..........always the Homelite's XL-12 & S-XL. I happen to think my 455 is a wonderful firewood saw. AND it used less fuel than the old ones. Since the 460 is being offered, the 455 is selling for a lot less. Refurbs are available cheap as well. A modern reliable saw with more power than the older 1970's 1980's era 60 cc saws.

Having said all that...I think the 1980's era 60-68cc Husqvarna's are the ultimate firewood saws.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

Ahh - I'd forgotten about the switch to the single bar nut. I've seen it on the Jonsered similar sized saws (2250), but haven't looked on the Husqvarna. The other thing I'm not a fan of is the tool-free chain tensioners. Unfortunately, both of these "features" seem to be getting more and more common on the low-to-mid range saws.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Well you know it just depends on your thought pattern I suppose .They rave about the 029 Stihls but I have a box full of parts from ones the tree trimmers blew up .So is it the great little saw they rave about ? Depends on how you look at it .

That said though most modern 3 cubers if properly cared for will last the average casual user quite a long time before they experiance problems .Stihl ,Husky even Poulan/Craftsman if you choose that route .

You certainly do not need an 800 dollar Stihl MS 460 or something like that to cut a few cords of firewood per year,that's for sure .

HolmenTree

For cutting firewood you need a saw that has a wide flat bottom. Because we all know when cutting firewood we have to set the saw down on the ground idling to move or throw that block of wood. Nothing worse then having a saw fall over on its side and the chain has not stopped to idle yet and its dulling itself in the dirt.

The Stihl 038 is the perfect saw to sit upright on the ground, plenty of grunt and plenty reliable.
I had to laugh one time when someone complained to me about how his Husqvarna 346XP would always fall over on its side when he put it down. I said to him " the slim superior handling 346 XP was not designed to sit idling on the ground, it was designed to cut wood in your hands 8 hours a day."

Get a good used Stihl 038.

Willard. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

beenthere

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 12, 2011, 11:19:43 AM
For cutting firewood you need a saw that has a wide flat bottom. Because we all know when cutting firewood we have to set the saw down on the ground idling to move or throw that block of wood. Nothing worse then having a saw fall over on its side and the chain has not stopped to idle yet and its dulling itself in the dirt.

Doesn't happen if the idle is set right and/or the brake is set :)

.....or if the saw isn't set down unless shut off. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

I had to laugh one time when someone complained to me about how his Husqvarna 346XP would always fall over on its side when he put it down. I said to him " the slim superior handling 346 XP was not designed to sit idling on the ground, it was designed to cut wood in your hands 8 hours a day."

Get a good used Stihl 038.

Willard. :D

And I thought you were going to make another run at the side ways balance concept...its so well side ways balanced..it wants to stay that way!  (For the true nerds out there....and you KNOW who u are! A derivative of the "critically unstable" concept in fighter jet design.:)....)

Having said that. My 268-272's stay up right...:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:) Oh leave it to Willard .Why of course an 038 would make a fine firewood saw,it's one of Stihls' finest . You certainly can't compair an 038 to an 029,they aren't even on the same page .

As I've said before I have 3 ,two mags and an Av .One of the mags has spent over 20 hard years in service for a tree company and as beat up as it is the thing still does a days work .As a matter of fact that thing is about due a little tweek so it will wear the firebird logo as a "Smitherized " saw . :D

Cut4fun

I'm with Al and others that mentioned buy a used saw. Man you know how much saw you can get for $300.  8)

Al_Smith

--not to mention how many --- 8)

HolmenTree

Quote from: beenthere on April 12, 2011, 12:17:31 PM

Doesn't happen if the idle is set right and/or the brake is set :)

.....or if the saw isn't set down unless shut off. ;)
All in fun , I don't bother setting my chain brake every time I put my saw down and yes my idle speed is always set where my chain doesn't turn. But when cutting firewood I like to put the saw down quickly and not worry about the chain WHICK TAKES A FEW SECONDS TO STOP TURNING not to cut into the dirt if it should immediately fall over.
I use my wide bottomed Stihls to cut firewood . :D

Willard.

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on April 12, 2011, 12:44:05 PM
 (For the true nerds out there....and you KNOW who u are! A derivative of the "critically unstable" concept in fighter jet design.:)....)

Walter maybe we should keep SawTroll out of this air_plane

Willard. :D :)

roostersgt

Go with a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Get a new saw with plenty of power etc.. for your needs, plus a 2 year warranty. All for less than $400. You won't be disappointed.

Steve
Stihl MS 170 14"
Stihl MS 260 Pro 16"
Stihl 028 Super 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 029 18"
Stihl MS 290 20"
Stihl 036 Pro 25"
Homelite Super 2 (mint)
Remmington 10" Tele Pole Saw
Troybuilt / Honda 27ton Logsplitter

Stihl Team Six - Sacramento Unit

isawlogs

If 300$ is the budget as you put it , get the ms 250 . Its about the best you can get for that kind of money.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

roostersgt

Sorry, didn't see the budget limit. Good choice. Go with the 250 if only have $300 or so to spend.
Stihl MS 170 14"
Stihl MS 260 Pro 16"
Stihl 028 Super 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 029 18"
Stihl MS 290 20"
Stihl 036 Pro 25"
Homelite Super 2 (mint)
Remmington 10" Tele Pole Saw
Troybuilt / Honda 27ton Logsplitter

Stihl Team Six - Sacramento Unit

Cut4fun

Stihl 028 Super with oem piston seals and carb kit.  New bar 18" 3/8 050  and used chain for less then that and a whole lot more saw.  ;)  I could keep listing used saws forever in that $200-$300 price range.

Al_Smith

:D I sit here enjoying the afternoon sunlight,sipping a Bud and being amused at two different trains of thought here .Some advocate a new high end homeowners saw and some suggest a pro grade with a little age on it .Differences of opinion are what makes the world an interesting place to live,it's all good . ;)

Cut4fun

Yep  ;) got a bunch of ole Bud here too.     8) 

Thank You Sponsors!