iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50 horsepower tractors

Started by Larry, April 10, 2011, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've been considering a newer tractor for awhile.  Something with less than 1,000 hours.

I looked at a Kubota M5040 the other day that looked pretty nifty.  It got my interest up a bit more and did a little research.  It appears the Case IH JX55 is in the same class but out weighs the rest by a 1,000 or two.  It also an impressive lift capacity on the 3 point.

The tractor would be used for a little skiding.  Most important and frequent use would be lifting logs/lumber with a FEL.  Just a little brush hogging.

Any recommendations for a tractor?  I'm not a bit brand loyal as I've have just about all colors in the past.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Left Coast Chris

Ive been researching also and am down to Kabota, JD and Branson in that order.   Some of the JDs are made in India and elsewhere so they need model specific research.  The Bransons are made in Korea with copies of Cummins diesels.  It is a real mine field regarding newer tractors these days. 

I also tend to go back and forth on rebuilding my Massey 135 which I really love and is bomb proof.   Spent $1400 on a rebuild of the power steering unit last year and $3k on a clutch, brakes and hydraulic rebuild a number of years ago.  Next will be the engine.   It has the 3 cyl perkins that sips fuel.  She is a real winner.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

Deere 4700, or 4720 would be a good size. 66 hp  Made in Augusta, GA
Deere engine (made in IA I'm pretty sure)

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=4720%20LV&displayModelName=4720%20Compact%20Tractor%20(66%20hp)&tM=GC&pNbr=686DLV

I just flagged one that was obvious scam on CL, that was listed as Deere 4720, with backhoe at $7300. :o  Tractorhouse shows the 4720 with 1000 hours at $20,000.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Deere 4700, or 4720 would be a good size. 66 hp  Made in Augusta, GA
Deere engine (made in IA I'm pretty sure)

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=4720%20LV&displayModelName=4720%20Compact%20Tractor%20(66%20hp)&tM=GC&pNbr=686DLV
Beenthere  I like the way you think go green, And Larry whatever you buy get a cab on it. mine keeps the cold wind off me and when it,s hot out, it will keep me  cool  :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tyb525

I've seen quite a few of those scams of craigslist.

They look really legitimate, with good pictures of the same equipment in the same place, they usually list all the stats and info including hourmeter, even show a pic of the hourmeter sometimes, and they just plain look completely real. Until you realize the price is in the $3-7k range, which is always at least $10k or more less that what it is worth.

I almost fell into one of those last year, with a fairly new kubota tractor/backhoe. I emailed and a real person responded, we exchanged a few emails, the reason for selling at such a cheap price made sense (they urgently had to move to a military base in another country), until it came time to arrange shipping or pickup. Then I had to go to a website that asked me for the usual info (name, address, etc) but it also asked me for credit card number, and other strange things like mothers maiden name. I knew it was a scam when the person tried to set up a really strange sounding shipping arrangement. Luckily I had not given any info. :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I had a Kubota,glad to see it gone. Every time I needed parts for it,I would have to wait a week.Once I was down for 2 weeks. We did use it ALOT. Put 2500 hours on it in 9 years. I buy something,I use it.I don't have to sit inside the house and wonder what I will do with the tractor today. Wife used it most of the time to mow with.I went to 2 differant dealers and still would have to wait a week for parts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

What do you have for local dealer support? Case makes a good tractor. I'm kind of partial to the color blue.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

paul case

i only have older junkier tractors. i have used some other folks tractors to unload hay and such and i am quite impressed by mahindra. i believe they are a little cheaper too.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Woodchuck53

Morning all. The Mahindra salesman said that they are a copy of the 70's series IH tractors. Made in India and have a good dealer representation here in these parts. If I had not found the CNH (Ford 4000) copy I would have bought the 62 HP Mahindra. With a loader and 6' finishing mower it had all the others beat on price. Two wheel drive though. I like Blue also. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Norm

I hate to have colors that don't match so it would have to be a John Deere for me.  :D

JD 5000 series

Hans1

I would stay with John Deere in our area the dealer support is outstanding. I have had 4 tractors in that general size a 5300,6300 and now own 6405 and a 5120 or some # close to that on the first 2 I put over 1500 hours on each and sold for more than i paid for them. this is in iowa i would buy from whatever dealer you like best regardless of the color.

Burlkraft

I am a Kubota guy myself.
I have a M7040 that is my dream tractor. Small enough to get around in the woods, yet big enough to handle logs with ease.
I have never put many parts in any of the Kubota's I have had.
I had my first one for 20 years and beside regular services the only parts I had to but was 2 injectors.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

Larry, these people have given you good suggestions. Now go buy one of each brand and in a few years you can tell us which tractor you like best. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

paul case

Quote from: pigman on April 11, 2011, 08:44:40 AM
Larry, these people have given you good suggestions. Now go buy one of each brand and in a few years you can tell us which tractor you like best. ;D

that will keep you from being predjudice like norm is i guess! ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I would tend to think that all of us are a bit prejudice about what we own/have that has given us good and reliable service.  Be it trucks, cars, tractors, sawmills, or.....Heck even some foreign made women make good American wives.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

I've got equipment by New Holland, Kioti, Ford, John Deere, Caterpillar, International and Hinomoto, and it has all been good.  My favorite "Ag" tractor is probably my New Holland 3010, my favorite all-around tractor is my Kioti DK65 (which is the only one that I bought new).

Kioti has a strong US presence, is similar to the Kubota in terms of quality but less expensive.

The JD stuff is construction - not ag equipment, but still good equipment.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WildDog

My dads happy with the Kubota he bought new 2 yrs ago, its about 50hp, 4WD and he's on it most days, he's understocked and does a lot of slashing with it.

I'm with Norm on the JD 55 series, can't fault my cabless 5510, 4WD FEL, its built in the States, bought second hand, but came at a price, $55,000 :(.

We bought a cabbed Case JX 86 at work, it was $20,000 cheaper than the same size MF, nice and comfortable, no mechanical issues, it does get knocked about in the bush, the thin plastic mudguds tore off, sticks through the low mounted fuel tank etc.

There is a growing number of New Holland around in my area.   
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

rick f

I've got a Kubota 5040 with the cab here. It's a very good machine, I've had no problems with it so far. I've also got a John Deere 1250( 40 HP). My JD is the one in the woods because it doesn't have a cab.
The only question I have on the newer(Read tractors with alot of electronics) is will the parts be around forever like most of the old tractors? I've been thinking if I could find an older tractor without all the electric parts I'd sell the 5040. That way I could work on it alot easyer.

I use my 5040 with the forks and a 55 gallon cement counterweight to load pallets of Blueberries at harvest time. They weight close to 2000#.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

WDH

I have a JD 2155 which is about 45 HP, but it does not have the hydraulic package and no FEL.  So, I finally decided that I had to have the FEL to move logs and sawdust, so last month I bought a 2010 Kubota M5640 SU with 400 hours on it.  I looked at the Deeres, but the size tractor I needed was made in India and some of the reviews pointed out an issue with hydraulic leaks.  Plus, it cost about 10% more.  So, now I have the good old green tractor and a new orange one that matches my little woodmizer  :D.

So far, I really like the M5640.  At 56 HP it can do all that I need to do (so far!)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Just Me

I have a 45 hp New holland 2332, which is the smallest of that series, goes to 55 hp. I checked out tractors for about a year and was pretty much settled on Case/New Holland when I found this tractor new on Tractor House for $20,600 with a TL250 loader, quick change, forks and wintergarded tires. It was a no brainer. I am happy with it. Best price I could find in case for the identical tractor was $7,000 higher.

I am happy with it. It will lift my planer, the heaviest piece of equipment I have at 1940 pounds with ease, is small enough to get around job sites well[contractor], and seems to do well with snow removal, but we did not get much this winter. Its a gear drive, but I like the simplicity of gear drive. Only bad thing with it is that a mid  mount PTO is not an option, but I really do not need one for any reason I can think of.

And.... I like blue as well! ;)

WDH

A great place to look for used tractors is fastline.com.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Whitman

In 1987 I went to the International dealer. Four week later they gave me a price on a small tractor .Ford said it was to small to mess with. JD shook my hand and went to eastern Kentuck to get the tractor  NO money down.  Last year I thought I need a new tractor. Ford had that I wanted but not in 4X4,They said that they didnot want to order any more that year.International closed in our area. Jd was more than happy to demo and 2% credit plan  .Kiota dealer was honest in that he did not have one that would fill my needs!  I now have 2 JD (25 hp-50 hp 4X40.Whitman

woodmills1

If there is a dealer near you take the time to look at Kioti

I ran my LK3054 for 8 years  and traded it to payeur  (les distrubutions payeur  payeur.com) when I tore the hub out of the clutch disk from too many 3k rpm starts

I now have a DK40se with 100 hrs and no issues 
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!