iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good 325 chain

Started by quietrangr, April 10, 2011, 10:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quietrangr

Am looking into a smaller saw such as 346 or other 50cc model, but haven't had good luck with the 325 pitch chains holding an edge like the 3/8. What have you guys found for the best brand? Ooops, did I just start a war?

Cut4fun

JMO I like Stihl RS in 325 best. I also have Oregon LG because the price is so much cheaper.

quietrangr

Thanks, cut4fun. I know you always have good, first-hand info. Anybody else? What no one wants to say which chain is best? What? How about the low profile 3/8s chains? As I understand it, the smaller saws run smaller chains to cut narrower kerfs and lessen resistance. How about those other chains?

beenthere

No one can say which one is best. IMO   ;D

That is likely different from the OP question

QuoteWhat have you guys found for the best brand?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I run .325 carlton chain and to me it seems to stay sharp as long as 3/8 so long as I keep it in clean wood. I also run 91 picco low pro 3/8 semi chiesel nk which I think cuts way faster and stays sharp longer than either .325 or .3/8.    . I have a 40 cc saw running the 3/8 nk 6 tooth  that cuts as fast as a 56cc saw running .325 7 tooth, either that 40 cc saw has power or the nk chain really helps.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

simplicityguy92

i run 50gauge .325 stihl chain dont no the exactmodel number but it holds an edge way longer then anything else i have tried.

quietrangr

Thanks, everybody. Do I understand correctly that picco is a Stihl brand low profile 3/8? It looks like 91vxl is the Oregon low-pro 3/8. Do these run on standard 3/8 50 bars?

sawguy21

No, they need to be matched to the proper bar which has a shallow groove.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

I have two 034's here and one is run with 3/8's the other with .325 chain. I really can't see any difference in the two while cutting fire wood other then the 3/8's lasting longer between sharpening. Both have 18" bars with Stihl chisel chains.
So what I am getting at, is, is it an option for you to run that saw with 3/8's chain  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

I have a husky 346 that runs .325, the oregon 95vp chain and narrow kerf bar make a good cutting system, although I think the bars are junk. The sprocket tips (non replaceable) seem to last about two chains before they let go. I also tried an oregon regular kerf chisel chain that cut very nice, I can't remember the model number. I just put a carlton 20" bar and chisel skip chain on my 346, the carlton seems softer to me. Otherwise, I've never noticed my .325 saws dulling faster than 3/8 equipped ones.
Too many irons in the fire

simplicityguy92

i use stihl 23rc and it lasts long time cutting softwoods even in dirty woods

SawTroll

I have found Oregon LP to be slightly faster than Stihl RSC in .325, and hope the new LPX is as good as the LP..... :)

The comparison was done on my 346xp.
Information collector.

quietrangr

Thanks for your comments everybody. Sorry to tell you I haven't made up my mind yet. On another forum, windthrown said there was little difference in kerf between regular 3/8 and 325, and the way to get the narrower kerf was 3/8 low profile. Yet, I haven't seen any good quality bars for that 3/8 low pro, so I will have to think everything over.

barbender

There is quite a difference between 3/8 and .325 narrow kerf.
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Quote from: quietrangr on April 12, 2011, 08:34:41 PM
On another forum, windthrown said there was little difference in kerf between regular 3/8 and 325, and the way to get the narrower kerf was 3/8 low profile. Yet, I haven't seen any good quality bars for that 3/8 low pro, so I will have to think everything over.

If you re-read that forum you will see old Windy said he "saw no difference between regular 3/8 and .325 kerf width."

Try the Oregon .325 narrow kerf 95VP , this little chain is really aggressive and cuts really well. With its semi-chisel it holds a good edge.

Forget about the 3/8 lo pro chain, you get into a larger log and they plug up , not alot of filing life either, [consumer chain].

Oregon 20 LPX chisel .325 is a good fast cutting chain with a little more beef then the 95VP narrow kerf.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Warbird

I only use Stihl chain and it has always performed well. 

quietrangr

All things considered, I'm going to try a 95 vp narrow kerf Oregon chain on my 325 Stihl 025 carry on the skidder saw. If somebody knows the name and number for a Stihl narrow kerf 325, I'll check into that, too. Thanks for your responses, everybody.

Thank You Sponsors!