iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress

Started by Bill Gaiche, April 09, 2011, 07:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Need a little info. I was hired yesterday to take a cyprees tree down at a housing complex. I sawed 3 8.6' logs out of it and they gave it to me. Cypress is pretty rare here in this area. I sawed up the logs today into 1"+ x 4" to 18" wide boards. I dont know anything about cyress and  i need some help on what can I build out of it in the way of outdoor furniture. Dont know if it makes good stuff for indoor furniture. Does it need kiln dried for indoor and outdoor use? Also what do you fellas do with with your Cypress that you keep for your personal uses. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. bg

Tom

The heartwood is quite rot resistant and can be used out of doors for prolonged periods. (usually)

The sapwood is not rot resistant and would be comparable to pine.

The wood is very heavy when green, but dries to be light weight.  It machines easily and is quite stable.   Cypress works very well for inside finish work and cabinetry.  It works outside with varying measurements of success, depending on the type of cypress and the amount of heartwood. 

Cypress is slower to dry than pine.  Take note of the inside when you think it is dry.  It will refuse to give the water up.

Cypress is good for small projects too.  It even works for lathe work and the making of pens and ornamental bowls.   It was once the choice wood for small boats.

Bill Gaiche

Thanks Tom for the info. I dont know what kind of cypress it is. I did see some little spots of a redish tint a couple of times. The tree is just putting on new green leaves. Very small. It was planted about 1982. It was anywhere from 42 to 46"s at the butt and 25" at little end. Had to cut a bunch of flare down to about 31" to work on my saw. Boy that thing was heavyer that I thought it would be, all my little tractor could do was to pick it up about 16". Had to use my trailer ramps to drive the tractor up onto to get it on the mill. Boy those big suckers are work. It really sawed up nice and easy. Would you say that cypress has a longer life span outside versus ERC. Also do you put any kind of finish on it for outside use? bg

fishpharmer

Bill, very impressive growth from a 30 plus year old tree (assuming it was planted at 2-4 years old).  Any pictures?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bill Gaiche

fishpharmer, yes very fast growth I thought. But all I know is what the people that live and maintain there gated living area told me. It was next to a in the ground swimming pool. I dug up the roots which had come to the surface and been hit by lawn mowers. I dug up enough roots to provide at least 30 oak trees. I never knew that a cypress had so many roots.  I do have a photo of the log after I trimed it down so I could saw it up. I will post it later when I get it on the computer.

bill m

The paper mill my father worked at had beater tanks made from cypress. When they switched to stainless tanks he took some of the wood, planed it and made a picnic table from it. That was in 1965. We never put any type of preservative on it and I just got rid of it 3 years ago.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Bill Gaiche

fishpharmer , finally got some photos uploaded on the cypress.

thecfarm

Looks like the boards came out good. Is that a homemade mill?  Like that Blue,looks like a 1920?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Nice log Bill.  On those butt cuts, I like the butt looking at me so I can be sure that the mill will clear before starting a cut, but you had done a good job of Bibbying it down.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I turn the log around as well and don't be afraid to use the mill to do the trimming on the log it will cut faster than the chain saw.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Yup, I chewed on a 41" Cherrybark Oak yesterday.  Twice around, and I had it down to sawing size.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

thecfarm , The logs made some pretty decent lumber. The mill is homemade. The tractor is a 1520, but it thinks its a 1920. Been a real good little machine. Its kind of amazing what a little 4x4 will do.
MM and customsawyer  you are proably correct and I understand why you would do that but my mill will only straddle a 32" log so I had to do a little whittleing on it. I learned from you guys that its best to saw little end first. I have only one toe board and its at the back end. This has been the largest one that I have sawed.
MM, I guess Bibbyman has taught us some habits for sure.
MM, if I had a log 41" little end I would have to have you come and saw it for me. Or better yet I hope I never have one that big for I dont know what I would do with it. You all have a good day sawing tomorrow. bg

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on April 17, 2011, 10:49:18 PM
MM, if I had a log 41" little end I would have to have you come and saw it for me. 

Thankfully, that Oak was 41" big end.

Regarding setup, when dealing with oversize logs I want the big end toward me so that I know that the mill will clear.

On all others, I prefer the small end toward me.  That way, I know exactly what the log will yield before sawing.  It's also a bit easier for me to level the pith with the deck.

fishpharmer

Bill G., thanks for the fantastic photos.  You have a nice looking mill, what horsepower?  Good advice from the custom sawyers too, thanks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bill Gaiche

fishpharmer, thanks. Its just 14hp. Not big by no means but it does a good job for me. bg

5quarter

Nice lumber from those Logs...Looks like you got just enough to build yerseff a first class chicken coop! ;D ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Bill Gaiche

5quarter thanks, no chicken coop for me. Cant have them in our neighbor hood although one neighbor has a turkey, chickens and rabbits.
I think it might make someone some nice patio furniture. bg 

paul case

nice work bill, good to see your still at it.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bill Gaiche

PC, still cutting a little. Sawed some post oak today for some 3x6"x12' runners to go under my kiln. Hope all is well in your neighbor hood, bg

paul case

doing well here. trying to clean up the log yard some. i have about 1000 ft of erc and 1000 ft of walnut smalls and shorts to saw for the rest of the week. no cypress. but maybe i will uncover some neat table tops or bench seats. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!