iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arthur IL woodworking show, enjoyable day

Started by low_48, April 08, 2011, 11:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

I spent the afternoon at a small woodworking expo in Arthur, IL. This little town, south of Champaign, is touted as being the center of the IL Amish community. I really enjoyed the trip to the show, and took a side trip into the countryside on the way home. The farmsteads are plentiful and so well kept. I grew up on a small farm in Central IL, in a time when some of the old farmers still lived on 80 acres. The Amish seem to live and work that size of farm still. It was a real reminder of my youth. I saw a farmer resting a 6 horse hitch on the end of the field, while a huge 4 wheel drive Case-International motored by on the other side of the fence. I also saw horse and buggies tied up outside the Dollar General, and a couple of hitches outside the woodworking show. That was my first visit to that area, it won't be my last. There must be a cabinet shop sign outside every third farm. You could see small factories in some areas, and on a couple, you could see a CAT sign next to their Gen set. Lots of clothes on the line drying, and if you didn't see a buggy, you saw them on bicycles. A most enjoyable day. Can't remember ever seeing that many road apples! Made me think that this should be the place I retire. Misses didn't seem to be so impressed when I relived the events of the day to her. Darned city girls!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!