iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you call a cabin NOT in South Dakota???

Started by Piston, April 08, 2011, 06:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I wiki'd "cabin" for the heck of it, this is the definition it gave me  :D

Cabin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
   Look up cabin in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Cabin may refer to:
Cabin. A small, roughly built house usually with a wood exterior, lacking proper utilities, and typically found in rural areas of South Dakota. AKA a "shack".
Log cabin, a small house built from logs with basic utilities found in North Georgia.
Cottage, a dwelling, typically in a rural, or semi-rural location
Beach cabin, a small wooden shelter on the beach
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WildDog

Thanks Piston, all this time I thought I was living in a house, but it looks like I've got the family living in a cabin ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

DanG

Here is one of the "cabins" at Augusta National Golf Club.  I hear they have 'lectricity AND an indoor outhouse. ;)

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

moosehunter

I have always wondered why if you built two identical buildings , one on the lake shore and one in the woods, the woods building is a cabin, the lake building is a cottage?? At least in my area that is how it is.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

Camp is the word that I hear,be it in the woods or by the water. This is the camp you go to on weekends.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I call a cabin not in South Dakota, my cabin.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dakota

That discription on Wikipedia hurt my feelings. :(  I didn't know I was building a "shack"

Dakota
Dave Rinker

sandhills

If it helps Dakota, you can build me a "shack" anytime, heck I'd probably call it "home"  :)

Piston

Dakota,
At least you know what your building!  I don't even know what to call my project anymore since they don't mention anything about NH.  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Texas Ranger

We had a shack at the deer lease, one room, propane stove, oven and lights, water from a barrel, facilities out back, but DanG big front porch.  Hurricane put a big oak through it, but we rebuilt, but it was much more of a shack.

I would not trade a million dollars for the days in that deer camp, in that shack.  Good friends, good food and drink, and peace with the world.  And we did kill a deer or two, when we were stirred up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don_Papenburg

You all have to recon that the folks who write wickapedia live in NewYork city or some other place where they buy a set of rooms in a building that does not belong to them and has a front yard made out of concrete that they can't skin the deer on .  their block of rooms cost more than a 1000 acres in SD and more than likely it is smaller than the cottage. but feel as cramped as the "shack" .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Rocky_Ranger

TR, you DanG poet, you nearly brought a tear to my eye with that description.  Same for me - and the memories of all those camp buddies (including a brother) that have left this world for better places.  Ya can't replace that sort of stuff.........
RETIRED!

Dodgy Loner

In South Georgia, if it's in the woods it's a cabin, if it's by the lake, it's a lakehouse, and if it's by the pond, it's a pondhouse.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

timerover51

There are a lot of what are called "cottages" in Lake Forest, Illinois but they are not even semi-rural by any definition.  They were where the servants lived around 1900 or so, on the land of the mansions of the wealthy.  Some of them now are worth quite a bit of money as they front on Lake Michigan.

There is a real nice log cabin house just down the street from me.  Sits on 5 acres of land, and the back yard is up against a golf course operated by the Lake County Forest Preserve District.  Based on what my lot is assessed at, that 5 acres is worth about $250,000.  And there are plenty of log cabins up in Alaska too, and I suspect after living up there that the Alaskans who live in them would be a bit testy about that definition.

Just Me

I built a lot of "Cabins" for people that were a heck of a lot bigger than my own home, and I had a pretty big house then.

Another interesting definition in Websters was "Hillbilly". It used to be a "Northern Michigan Farmer". I sold my farm, so I have no clue what I am anymore..... ;D

Thank You Sponsors!