iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best outdoor wood furnace for the money????

Started by sparky1, April 07, 2011, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userdk

We really like our Heatmaster MF 10,000. It's been heating our drafty old house, our Milkhouse, all the hot water for dairy farm, and showers for 10 people now for 9 years. No problems whatsoever. Now we're hoping to upgrade to the new Heatmaster G400.
[imgright]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/f6ae07_bae60bf21189463e9dd1c6b6a1ac325a.jpg/v1/fill/w_330,h_416,al_c,q_80,usm_0.33_1.00_0.00/f6ae07_bae60bf21189463e9dd1c6b6a1ac325a.jpg[/imgright]

glassman_48

sparky1,
I am a dealer for brute force firewood processors and outdoor wood boilers. (I just recently became a sponsor in here)  I have an interesting story, I went to the great lakes logging show last year in Escanaba Michigan. I had a couple dozen people ask me if I was going to carry brute force outdoor wood boilers along with their processors.  Those people talked so highly of the owb's I decided to carry that line also.  I hadn't even considered it until I heard from those people.  They are located in Wisconsin too, you can go to my website and get more info.  Clayton (the owner) will give you all the info you need, he is located in Dorchester Wisconsin.  It would be worth a phone call.  good luck

Kbauer63

I purchased a portage and main EGR 250 and have been running it for 2 seasons now and could not be happier. the attention to detail in the workmanship and materials far exceeds all of the other units that we looked at prior to making our decision. I have every confidence in recommending their products to anyone seriously looking at out door wood furnaces

rjwoelk

I have been looking at the chip burners. Now that means more work but i have a firewood business  and lots of small scrap. The think i like about them is a big hopper load it up and good for a week or longer deprnding on size of hopper. The other advantage is it uses natural gas or propane or heating fuel to start the burn. So if you dont need it burning and wasting wood it just shuts down. Needs heat the preburner cuts in and the chips augar to the head and away you go.Down side bit more money.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

J 5

I have had 2 Empyre 450 furnaces in 19 years , the first all steel /no draft and the second stainless /with draft. Both have had minor leaks  around the door on my first one and around the bottom tubes on the 2nd one. They do the job,I like the bottom ash pan for cleanout. I have always used dry wood in their operation and would never go back to wood in the house- garage. Would I buy another one, probably, haven't looked at the new ones lately, hope I don't have to. Furnaces are like cars , everybody makes the best one , in my opinion.
                     J 5

TKehl

We've had really good luck with Bryan (not Bryant) furnaces.  They are an outdoor forced air unit.  (I think everyone else mentions boilers.)  It will burn hedge and doesn't fuss much about moist wood, though we try to keep it dry.

My parents bought the first one in 94 and got 15 years out of it before needing to rebuild the firebrick.  8 years into that now.  The only other repairs have been a blower motor, a solenoid, and redoing the door seal.

We got ours WELL used 2 years ago and have only needed door seals.  Have a third now for the workshop.

It is the primary heater for both our houses and the electric furnace is really only used in the shoulder seasons to take the chill off in the morning.

I really only have two complaints.
1.  The forced air means you can only stuff the box so full.  We fill it as many as 6 times a day if real cold but at least three times a day.
2.  The cast iron grates tend to crack and warp and they ask a ridiculous amount for replacements.  (The rep apologized before giving me a quote.   :D)  A fireplace grate from any big box store makes a decent replacement as does the section of truck frame with extra holes that we use.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

armechanic

I have a Hardy, All stainless installed in 98,replaced the draft motor once. still going strong.  I didn't see this brand mentioned so must be a semi local unit, but see several around, very rural setting.  I live in the middle of 400 acres so no close neighbors.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

E Yoder

I have worked with Heatmaster for quite a few years, am very pleased with what they've done with their new GS model line. A simple no frills efficient downdraft unit.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

rjwoelk

Quote from: woodmills1 on April 08, 2011, 10:24:52 PM
my company    Free Heat Machine   went out of business

apparently  opened up down the street with a new name

that said  I love it   stainless   7 years now flawless..... throw the wood in it burns

old style outside booster fan

burns almost any wood though does not do well with dead green pine only

paid 8400 for whole system

7 winters at 4000+ bucks in its cold here new hampshire = 28K

so somewhere around 20k saved        and where would all that 30 cord a year pine gone anyway

What all you heating to burn 30 cords a year. :o
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!