iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information on buying a small truck

Started by wesdor, April 06, 2011, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

No intention of starting a war here.  I'm just looking for some input on a purchase that is being planned for July or August.

We traded in a 1993 Dodge Dakota on my wife's VW Jetta Diesel and I am really missing having a truck.  Right now I'm doing a lot of "internet shopping" and want to gather as much information as is helpful.

Internet research leads me consider the following:

Toyota Tundra - $34,545
Ford F-150 - $31,655
Dodge Ram 1500 ST - $21,730

All of them are outfitted with about the same equipment.  Until now I have been under the impression that all three were the same size, but am now beginning to think the RAM 1500 is smaller - otherwise there couldn't be that big of a difference in price.

Objectives for use of the truck.  Haul firewood, haul lumber from the sawmill, tow a possible portable mill.  In other words, not a lot of heavy duty use.

Can any of you help me sort out the options or add more that I should put on my list?

Thanks for sharing your experience

paul case

i cant imagine  buying a new pickup to haul firewood, lumber or tow a sawmill. do that stuff with it very long it wont look like a new pickup for long no matter what the hood ornament is. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tyb525

You could get a great used truck that could do all that and then get you to town and back every day for under $5k, I got a 2001 Chevy 1500HD V8 with a service body and ladder rack for $2500. I can fill it heaping full with firewood and it doesn't sag. It has 180k on it but still runs great.

If it was me, I'd buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ljmathias

No question buying used and paying cash is the best way to go- we don't do loans of any kind anymore.  Only thing to watch out for are the worn out trucks.  I've got one that looked like a great deal at first- $1,000 for a 91 F250... except a new engine, new tires, new shocks, new brakes and a wheel axle seal bring the total up to almost $6,000 now.  Son was right: cut your losses but should have done it before the engine...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

sprucebunny

Another vote for used. Even if you have to put an engine in it.

I have a '98 Dakota for sale cheap  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Only thing I would suggest if it's going to be a work truck is a stake body truck,with boards for the sides. I had one on one of my trucks and really liked it.No fenders to bang up,no tail gait to bend. Just get it long enough to stick out past the bumper.The one I had when I hauled chips,sawdust,gravel,it all would hit the bumper. I made the body about a foot longer and cured that problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I also vote for used, but I wouldn't be looking at a 150 or 1500.  It would be a 250 or 2500.

I drive a Tundra and have added overload airbags for hauling heavy loads, but that does not increase the safe load carrying capacity of the truck.  It simply allows you to overload it.  Not good and I don't recommend it.

I realize that your thread said "small truck" but get a ¾ ton truck and your future will be happier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

roger 4400

Hi. For many years I own a F150 and 6 years ago I bought a used 2000 F250......a world of difference, you feel the power, I mean the stability of the truck when you haul . The truck is stable, the rear and front end is not **swinging** . Axel is 4.10 and made to pull. And believe it or not it is more economic than my previous f150.....so if it is to work, tow etc....buy a working tool the brand YOU want but do consider a 3/4 ton...good luck.Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

tyb525

I also agree on the 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DanG

I'm in camp with these other guys, but that's just us.  If you have definitely decided on one of the three you listed, buy the Dodge.  It isn't that it is necessarily the better truck, but the Ford is simply NOT $10,000 better.  I personally wouldn't even look at the Tundra for more than half of that asking price. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

wesdor

Thanks for all the input.

I don't have anything against used - just don't want to buy someone else's problem.

I did get a PM from another FF member that has a truck for sale, but we are nearly 1500 miles apart which poses a big problem.

After reading all this input, I think I will double my efforts to find a used truck.  In my opinion it doesn't have to look pretty, just be in good working condition.

scsmith42

Wes, I'm in the same camp as the others; get a used 3/4 ton (preferably a 4WD). 

If'n it were me, I'd look for a late model Ford F250 with a 7.3 diesel. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

RPF2509

I'd vote for the 3/4 ton as well if you plan on hauling lumber and firewood.  The 3/4 ton will get the job done in one trip where the 1/2 ton will take 2.  I've had both and blew shocks regularly on the 1/2 ton hauling firewood.  The trade off is worse gas mileage w/ the 3/4 but not always.  Brakes, tranny, and suspension are all heavier duty and if you use it enough you're money ahead.  Look for used - the good deals are out there esp if you can pay cash- the new ones are priced outta sight

Busy Beaver Lumber

Wes

I could not agree more with the others that say to buy a used truck rather than a new one for hauling logs and firewood. Even better, buy a used truck and a nice dump trailer and you really have it made.

This is my used truck that I have about $6000 into. I traded another truck worth $4000 for this one and then put another $1000 into it to fix a rear main seal leak and some other minor issues, plus added an electronic brake for towing. It is a 1988 Chevy 3500 one ton with 454 motor and 84,400 original miles. It is built like a tank and I have pulled over 15,000 pound with it and hardly knew it was behind me. It even came with the cap, new tires, new rims, new exhaust, bed liner, and was completly redone inside and out.

Just keep looking and you will find a good deal if you are patient.

I use this truck to pull this dump trailer. This is really the cats meow for hauling wood and I highly recommend it. I have since added 12 inch high board to the sides to make them 28 inches tall. It will take a full cord at a time and is rated for 9990 lbs gvw. I like the idea of a dump trailer better than a dump truck because you can lend it to friends without giving up your vehicle for the day and unlike a dump truck, if the engine or tranny dies and is beyond economic repair, you do not loose you dump truck capabilities, you simply find another cheap tow vehicle and you are back in business.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Peter Drouin

Im with the rest 3/4 ton new or use , will do a lot of work, please buy american :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WildDog

Boy things are different over this side of the world, our Aussie dollar is on par with you guys but a  Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie landed here is $155,000 and a late model used Toyota Tundra dual cab sells for $120,000. We mainly use Toyota Landcruiser traybacks for heavy loads/towing, but they come at a price and have only had an 8 cylinder Turbo Diesel in the last 3yrs.

Busy Beaver that trailers the "Ducks Guts" :) I need something like that for around the farm and firewood carting.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 07, 2011, 09:37:11 PM
please buy american

Ironically, the Toyota Tundra is only 100% American made truck with 100% American made components.  I own one, but if I were buying another truck, it would not be 100% American made.  Probably would be a Ford F250.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wesdor

You guys have me pretty well convinced to buy used.  I'm starting to keep my eyes open as I drive around and also am "cruising craigslist". 

Buy American is at the top of my list as well, but as Magicman says, the Toyota is the only vehicle 100% American made. 

As a friend says, that may be true, but the profits go back to Japan.

BBL - I think you may have the key here - patience until I find what I'm looking for.  That is a nice looking truck and the dump trailer is something that would be a nice addition.  I currently have a farm barge wagon that I pull around the timber and fill with wood, but it isn't highway transportable.

I do have a great mechanic that we have used for more than 30 years, so that is also a plus in buying used.

Thanks for all the ideas. 

Peter Drouin

I buy American when I can. Chevy, Ford, Dodge are American trucks. If the companies use non- American parts, then it is their lie and not mine. I tried. I feel I did my part. I picked Wood-Mizer, an Amerian sawmill.  I buy all my blades, parts, belts from them.  Not because it is cheaper, but because I want them to stay in business.  Other sawyers have picked other American made sawmills and I urge you all to buy parts from your sawmills manufacturer. Buying belts and parts at an auto store does not help the manufacturer who made your mill. Because there are a lot of good American made sawmills out there, support them. Happy sawing to all and God bless. Pete  8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Piston

Quote from: wesdor on April 06, 2011, 10:26:35 PM
Objectives for use of the truck.  Haul firewood, haul lumber from the sawmill, tow a possible portable mill.  In other words, not a lot of heavy duty use.

Wesdor,
If your mostly going to be using the truck for the above reasons then a great fit would be a 3/4 or 1 diesel pickup.  I have a '99 F-350 with th 7.3 diesel and it is a heck of a work truck.  I have the heavy duty springs in the rear with air bags as well, I've had my truck since '04 and have had no major issues with it.  For doing some serious firewood hauling and putting logs in the back of the truck, as well as towing, this is a great truck for the job.  HOWEVER, If you do this stuff on the side and it is not a regular occurance (I don't know if milling/firewood is your primary job or not?) then I would still look at the smaller size trucks your considering. 

My truck is way too much work truck for what I do with it.  I miss being able to drink a cup of coffee out of an open mug (for instance my new FF mug ;D) while driving down the road without 1,000lbs in the back to settle the ride. 

If your looking for the truck as your daily driver and doing some firewood for your own personal use then you really don't need the heavy duty trucks and you might really welcome a newer, nicer ride.  I am imagining that hauling wood isn't your primary job or you do it very often because you mentioned that you don't have a lot of heavy duty work to do. 

Keep in mind though, I sure do like the heavy duty truck when plowing a foot of snow with a 9' blade and never spinning a tire, or towing a heavy tractor with a load of wood in the back. 

I am in a very similar vehicle situation as you are.  My wife drives a diesel jetta (best purchase we've ever made ;))and I have my f-350.  If it weren't for towing my tractor to NH and back I would be buying a smaller truck, only because my back prefers the ride and I enjoy drinking my coffee while driving  :D

A friend of mine went from an '02 F250 to a brand new f150 and the only regret is that he didn't do it sooner.  He doesn't use it for heavy duty work though as that isn't the purpose of it. 

Obviously the brand new HD trucks ride a whole lot better than my '99 so it's not a fair comparison, but those aren't in the price range you mentioned.  I agree with used over new. 

I'm all about 'bigger is better' in almost every aspect, mills, tractors, trucks, ATV's, boats, bank accounts etc.  But every once in a while it's not always the case, only you can really know what and how much you'll use the truck for. 

The "american" debate is, unfortunately, difficult to justify in today's world. 

Keep us posted, we love spending other peoples money  :D
Regardless, it's always fun to buy something new (even if it's old) so enjoy the hunt  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bobus2003

Quote from: Piston on April 09, 2011, 04:46:43 AM
Quote from: wesdor on April 06, 2011, 10:26:35 PM

A friend of mine went from an '02 F250 to a brand new f150 and the only regret is that he didn't do it sooner.  He doesn't use it for heavy duty work though as that isn't the purpose of it. 

Obviously the brand new HD trucks ride a whole lot better than my '99 so it's not a fair comparison, but those aren't in the price range you mentioned.  I agree with used over new. 

I traded off my '03 F250 a Year ago on a 2010 F150.. I like the F150 for a DD, it hauls my tools and a 105 gal. fuel tank without a hitch, Awesomely smooth ride, and pulls great (4.6l V8) and i get about 21mpg.. I have my F350 for my heavy hauling but as a DD its slightly overkill, especially with fuel prices

Don_Papenburg

$7000.00 for a 3/4 ton PU is not bad . Plus you got a rebuilt engine , good to go 100000 more miles without a hitch.  Not bad one seventh the cost of a new 3/4T.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

wesdor

I do things rather slowly - think most purchases through every different way.  The time to "pull the trigger" will probably be sometime late summer.

Piston - you bring up a good point.  While I do list the uses, they would be more of a side job situation.  A big part of my concern is that we are headed for massive inflation like we had in the 70's and getting something now is probably a good idea.

Although I can build a case for a 3/4 ton, it is probably more reasonable to look at the 1/2 ton.  This will not be a daily driver - I have a 2000 Grand Am with 103,000 miles for that.

I'll keep everyone posted as I "crawl" toward a decision in July or August.

Magicman

The best decision is always a "slept on" decision.  Good luck with yours.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!