iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bought me a new to me front end loader today

Started by semologger, April 06, 2011, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

Its a alis chalmers 940. It needs a little work done to it but i bought it for 4,000. So a little room to work on it wont be to bad. It has the 2900 series motor in it. The guy wasnt able to get it to run, It was loading up on fuel and would just die out or he couldnt get it started at all. He changed the injector pump twice. One with a rebuilt and the other new he said. I did some checking and went down there to check it out. I asked him if he changed the fitting on top of the injector pump witch was a check valve. For a return he said no. I pulled it off and after a bit she started up. And was running fine. We i say fine but i have to have a guy do some tinkering in the injector pump. All i have to do is put in a u joint and fix a water leak and she will be running at the mill tomarow. The guysaid he was just tired of messing with it and ready to get rid of it. I probly made him mad for fixing his problem With out spending any money.

Anyone ever run any of these machines or know anything about them? I think its a 17,000 pound lift cap. Wich makes it a little bigger than a case W14. And of course no brakes.

shinnlinger

good purchase... now post pics and really rub it in.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DanG

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, Semo. 8) 8)  I think that no brakes is standard equipment on $4000 loaders. ;) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

What do ya need brakes for? They just slow you down. ;D
Bill

thecfarm

Not a AC man. About what year,how many hp? That will give me a clue on what you bought.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I once heard a man say that brakes were more important than a starter.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

semologger

Well i might of spoken to soon. I pulled the tube on the side of the motor of thats by the oil cooler this morning. Oil in the water apperently he didnt get all the water out of it this winter. going to have to get another motor for it. I think i can get a used on for around 2 grand. But even doing this i am still getting a good bye on it. I have been doing alot of looking and the condition every thing else on it is good. We can pull the motor and put in the other and be running in a day easy. not much to these motors.

Quote from: thecfarm on April 07, 2011, 08:21:11 AM
Not a AC man. About what year,how many hp? That will give me a clue on what you bought.
Machiery trader has some for sale. I think its around a 100 horse power lift and lifting cappacity is 17 thousand pounds. Its a late 70s model i believe.
Quote from: Magicman on April 07, 2011, 08:27:13 AM
I once heard a man say that brakes were more important than a starter.   :o
Brakes arent that big of deal fixing. i will put a disc brake on the drive shaft. its already got most of what i need to do it.

snowstorm

how much water??? antifreeze?????? did it turn a bearing already? it will with antifreeze in it. if its water how did it get there ? thru the stack? if it antifreeze the first place to look is the oil cooler after that liner seals

semologger

Ya before i take the motor out i am going to check the oil cooler. I am going to plug one of the lines and sink it in a bucket of water and put air  to it and see if she bubbles. I was trying to flush out the radiator with the water hose and it water never filled up the radiator. It just filled  up the motor and started leaking oil and water out of the blow by tube. But the whole time it was still running. When i tryed to get it back to the mill no power, So now its sitting in my front yard 75  feet in from front door. I am going to get the other lift and pull it  up the mill tomarrow

J_T

Yep that old Trojan just keeps on going  8) Just bought a like new Champ forklift man said you would deliver it  ;D ;D ;D
Jim Holloway

semologger

from were did the lift you bought come from? J-T

J_T

Jim Holloway

semologger

Was you up this way? If so you was only around 20 miles from my house you should of swang by. :( When you come back over let me know.

J_T

Yep went up on Friday told him i'd take it charged it to you then picked it up Sunday  8) 8) Many thanks  smiley_thumbsup When wife get to feeling better we will make a run to visit .
Jim Holloway

semologger

J_T

Since i charged the forklift to you,you can add in all you can stand  :D ;D
Jim Holloway

semologger

I found an twin to that trojan today :o. It was at a junkyard someone took for scrap. I am going to get the whole rear end out of it and what parts i can befor its gone for good. I was about 10 miles from the house.

J_T

Wow that was a good find . Are yuall extra hard on that thing  ??? Are just running in lots of deep mud  ??? Dog gone glad i just gave my standard tail light warranty 8)
Jim Holloway

ScottAR

very similar symptoms to bad liner O-rings in my 580.  New rings and a whole lot of wrenching and it's watertight again...
Even at $8 apiece, Cheaper than a overhaul. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

semologger

just going to buy another motor on it and put it to work. We pulled the old motor tody in about an hour. It has to be the easyiest motor ive ever pulled from a machine. I just got done rebuilding my dads 648E john deere skidder motor. It was a 6068T. I ended up putting around 4500 in it without labor. I could have bought a rebuilt for 4000 and when to work the next day. And had warrenty. instead it took awhile longer.  I amjust going to take the lazy way out of this one and buy it and save alot of worries on my part. 

isawlogs

Semo, that aint the lazy way out , it's da wise way to go .  ;) :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!