iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to use to replace skirting of Mobile home

Started by Freedom6178, April 06, 2011, 04:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom6178

This mobile home came with the property (its in poor shape but it's a roof over our heads for now), plan on building some day but we need to replace the skirting that is falling apart and don't want to spend a lot of money. We were thinking of using plywood but not sure what type size etc.. to use cause what ever is on there now cant be the right stuff? or does anyone have any other suggestions for materials? help_me

Once this project is done the GF wants some kind of deck/patio  ::)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Chuck White

I would use 3/8 or 1/2 inch treated plywood!

Get it down into the dirt so that it is sealed against drafts and critters!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

If the framing is still good try calling a few siding contractors for used vinyl siding. They usually throw it away. Make sure you put a couple vents in to let moisture out too.
jim
Have a great day

ely

i used metal signs to underpin my trailer. then after the fire i got to sell all of it for scrap.

pineywoods

Vinyl soffit material run vertical. The U channel that is used to install it on houses works well. Fasten a run to the ground with metal spikes, another run to the bottom of the trailer with roofing nails. Cut pieces to length and just snap into place.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

red oaks lumber

pole barn steel, cut and installed vertical comes in any color.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

shinnlinger

I'm thinking along the lines of red oaks.  You might find HD sells vinyl roof panels even less than steel in a few colors.  install it vertically and I don't even think it will look that bad.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SPIKER

Not sure if you have any in your area but around here we have 3 different places making garage doors, insulated steel panels that work great.   lightweight yet air tight & insulated cut them with jig saw to side and click them together vertically is what is pretty common around here.   We also use them as barn siding or partition walls in side of barns.   costs are cheap to near free at times if ya have some connections.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Freedom6178

Thank you all for your suggestions.. Not exactly sure which way we are going to go until we tear off the old stuff.  Headed up there this weekend for the first time in 4 months. Gotta make sure the place is still standing first :D ... Will let you all know what we chose..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Troublermaker

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get skirting for house Trailers. It come 8 feet long and 16 inches wide. You cut it to the length that you need.You need a U channel that you lay on the ground heal in place with long nails. Then cut the skirting to length and screw to trailer with small screws. Or you can go to a trailer place and get a kit to fit your trailer. When I was doing that kind of work I would get the supplies from Lowes or Home Depot. That way if I ran short I could all way get what I needed.

RPF2509

Try corrugated fiberglass or metal roofing - comes in 2' x8' lengths.  Usually its pretty cheap and easy to cut.  Try the galvanized metal if you want a longer lasting skirt though rust will start where a cut edge contacts the ground

Busy Beaver Lumber

How about surrounding the trailer with 300 to 400 copies of Obama's economic recovery plan. Might as well see those printed documents go to some good use and the smell of manure they emit should help keep unwanted solicitors away :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

beenthere

Busy B
That aughta get this thread inta the restricted board.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Naw, busy beve  was stating facts  nothing political there. :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Freedom6178

I actually kinda like Busy Beaver Lumber's idea... smiley_clapping
------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

Bibbyman

I've had a number of trailer owners on a tight budget come look through our slab pile for under pinning.   Said they wanted the "rustic look". 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

A friend of mine went the corrugated fiberglass.I think he used green. He said it let some light in and grass grew under the trailer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

Get ahold of the railroad. If they've torn out or repaired any of its line they prolly have lots of used railroad ties and most of the time they give them away.. It what my dad used on his double wide.. Made it surprisingly warmer under the house afterwards.. and now it build hella heavy duty  :D or they can be had at Lowes or Menards for about $5-6 a tie

Freedom6178

UPDATE: Removed all of the old skirting this weekend and found that the framing wood was rotten too, that will have to be replaced as well  :-\ ... Heading back up there next weekend. Gonna make a trip to Menards in Escanaba to price some of the ideas posted.
------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

RPF2509

I personally would not go the railroad ties route.  In warm weather the creosote begins to stink to high heaven and can make you sick.  A coat of paint will solve the light seepage issue with the corrugated fiberglass

gunman63

Sounds like  your in MI, so if your using this year round, dont forget  about  frozen pipes in the  belly, Im in MN, so we know about the  cold, I would use 1" or 2" pink or yellow styerform(sp) under  what ever u use for skirting, its well worth the cost, keeps the floor warmer,. just compare the costs of steel siding and the regular skirting  in  your area, the  steel u  can use length wise and use longer sheets, looks like u can use one sheet for  height, about 36", and  can always use it after u build for someting else, a wood shed or the like, the trailer skirting is pretty much a throw away after u use it, but u wll need to  vent it on each end, and cover the vents in the  winter.

ksu_chainsaw

I have used metal siding run longwise down the trailer- less seams, and there are not the small holes to fill in where the steel meets the trailer.  I dug a trench into the ground so the wind would not blow up under the siding.  To re-inforce the skirting, I used some commercial metal studs that were in the same scrap pile as the siding- recycling at its best ;D

Benefits that I saw:

1. Cheap
2. Easy to replace if it rusts out
3. No rotting of the framing.
4. Limited air movement with less seams in the siding.

Charles

inspectorwoody

We have the vinyl skirting on ours.

It wouldn't be so bad if they installed it different.

Our vinyl track the skirting sits in, is just held to the ground with some ground spikes.

If it isn't kept tight and snapped together well, the wind will tear it apart.

My neighbors either have the metal or the fiberglass and it has held up well.

If we stay here long enough where I have to redo the skirting, I may look at using metal or fiberglass. Vinyl is nice for some things but IMO, it has no place as skirting.

Get your self some heat tape for those pipes. You'll be glad you did.  :)

Freedom6178

Finally making slow progress on this project  ;). Seems every time we were up there it was really cold or raining. took some much needed Vacation time had 5 days up there this last weekend it was awsome. We relaxed but also worked on this a few hours each day except Tuesday where it was on/off rain most of the day and the day we had to head home  :'( . We went with all treated lumber 1/2" ply, 4x4 runners spiked into the ground, 2x4 (turned flat) vertical at the seams. only got 4 sheets up. We are burying the boards as deep as the ground will let us by hand ALOT of big rocks and stones really hard to dig :( also hit some hard clay about 4" to 6" down. Hope to do another section this weekend. we arn't to sure how to work around the stairs but I'll do everything else till i figure a way :-\ thinking pulling it away with the truck tho not sure how to put them back. Or maybe pull em away and build that small deck she wants  ::)

Here is how it looks before back-filling.

Will supply pic's as we slowly progress
Mike
------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

jim king

As said above be sure there are no holes in the belly board and the heat tape is good on the water pipes and leave a good size access door.

What brand is it  ?  When I was young I sold hundreds  of mobile homes.

Larry

Vinyl breaks/cracks the first time it gets hit with a weed eater.  I would use barn tin but that would be a hard installation.  Aluminium soffit would work well, but might be a bit pricey.  The aluminum is easy to cut with circle saw or snips and snaps together.

In any case go to a wholesaler and forget about Menards.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ron Scott

Yes, don't forget the heat tape and a good access door for pipe maintenance even though you are located in the U.P.'s banana belt at Escanaba. ;)
~Ron

Freedom6178

Just a note, we don't have a well yet and I don't plan on hooking up a water supply to it ::)
Jim
its a 1971 HOMETTE that's pretty much all the info we have. ;)
------Freedom6178------

George S. Patton

Thank You Sponsors!