iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western style shop front

Started by redbeard, April 03, 2011, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

I'am building a front entry for a customer friend of mine, He aquired a quanset type metal building from a demo his company did its 28' x 60' with 13' ceiling in the center.He used cement ecology blocks and steel channel as the footings. He will be using it as shop and storage. He likes the vintage and antique things so he wanted to get the old western kind of building look. I always wanted to build something like this, so me and the sawmill are taking it on. I will add pics of progress as i go flashing the back side is taking some time. I built the rough framing at my shop in 3 sections and was able to figure out the radius for all the blocking to tie into the metal arch so it went up fast. The

boom truck is so handy for building projects.We used white fir for the structual wood 1 5/8" x 4" studs and 1x4 for the siding nailers, siding is 1x10  douglas fir . There will be a cantliever 4' roof a few inches above the door header and should be about a 1' of parapit wall showing on the lower ends. Its 30' wide and 22' high.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

From nothing to look at,to something to look at.I would of never guessed what was behind the front.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ljmathias

Nice job, although why he'd want to cover up his perfectly useful culvert I don't know...  :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

That is a very nice and professionally done job.  The customer should be very happy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

redbeard

That is awesome. I love the look of it. Almost reminds me of an old time saloon
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

redbeard

We put the shed trusses on today, customer is trying to decide on using some reclaimed old rusty barn metal or store bought. I,am hoping to use the old stuff.

Looking through the building the customer has been building a block wall with some glass blocks, his project is coming along real nice.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

The old will look nice. especially after the siding weathers.  I guess that the glass blocks are for letting additional light in?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

The old stuff will make that building look like it was there when Jesse James was drinking whiskey.  ;D Post some pictures no matter what he puts on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

Where do you see glass blocks, I'm not seeing it.  That would not look correct.  You need the multi-light wood windows like barns have etc.  That would look more period.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Burlkraft

That is coming along nicely  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Brad, the blocks are for letting light in with out being able to see trough them , has nothing to do with period , if it did , why would he be using a culvert  ???
  At least that is what I am thinking  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redbeard

Some more progress on the western style shop front with the 60s retro glass block entry on the back side. Each panel of this building weighed in at 700 lbs, the bolts are 1" and you can see the channel iron on top of the ecology blocks that holds the footings. Its solid I don't see any problems with movement. Customer has a nice Hitachi 160 exscavator that he used to erect his building.

D Hagens

Nice looking work :) It's a really good idea and sure hides the ugly looking face of a  quonset  :)
Hey out here we have to ready-rod the top blocks above the glass block even if there's no real load on it. Do you have to do the same ???

Brad_bb

Oh now I see, the blocks are in the rear, not the front facade. I'm saying that in the front facade should  be wood framed paneled light windows.

I know that the Preservation Trades Network has workshops for making those type of traditional windows as well as stone work, and other preservation trades. Here's there website.
http://www.iptw.org/

Magicman

What kind of ventilation will he use?

redbeard

Yes the ready rod is a must on each coarse, he even drilled 1/4" holes in block on ends and slipped them in.  Its a bit challenging curveing the block to fit the arch of the dome, He will have to find some good elastic  caulking cause iam sure cracks will show up after mortar cures. The ventalation will be most necessary to elimenate condensation, wet and cold climate here in fall n winter. He mentioned spraying a foam insulation  some day if condensation is a big problem, he wants to put a old T-bird and other items in there. There are a couple of 8" cieling exhaust fans with the finned spiral ball that will be on ends, might be enough to keep the air moving. Probably won't get back on this project for a couple weeks have some hardwood orders to cut and a bunch of alder and maple to cut and get it drying. Getting busy again that's a good thing!

Magicman

That sprayed foam insulation may very well be the answer.   smiley_thumbsup

Brad_bb

Will he pour a concrete floor(with vapor barrier under)?

isawlogs

Quote from: redbeard on April 19, 2011, 12:28:27 AM
Yes the ready rod is a must on each coarse, he even drilled 1/4" holes in block on ends and slipped them in. 

What is " ready rod "  ???   :P   I can't translate it !  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redbeard

Ready rod is the reinforcement wire that strengthens the blocks. Its basicly two 1/4 inch galv wires or rods with spacers of wire welded every so many inches to keep the width consistant. Basically it keeps the blocks from being pushed in or out after the morter cures.another example is cattle wire panels if you cut some 4" strips from it. Best I can describe. Customer is doing all the cement work. Brad yes vapor barrier and curtian drains and even foam insulation are must do in this area lots of ground water. If you don't you will be fighting efloresents (chalk) coming through the concrete slab.

Brad_bb

"Ready Rod" I've always thought of as the threaded lengths of rod that you'd find in the big box store, 3 feet, 4 feet, 6 feet and 8 feet long. 

Some have also used the name for the reinforcing rod used in concrete. Not the wire mesh, but the steel rods.  It is formed from the producer with regular nodular bumps on it so that the concrete can grip it.  I wouldn't call it wire as it's usually 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and up etc. in diameter.

redbeard

Yes brad your correct on the bonding and what your describing is called k web.  Threaded rod in box store is called all thread.  The customer has finished the block work and I will post some pics looks really good the glass let's alot of light in and at night it really has a nice accent standing out side looking in when the lights are on.

timerover51

I have looked at building a house out of that foam insulation, and your client might want to consider putting in a layer or two of chicken wire fencing to help hold the insulation in place and keep it tight to the corrugated metal.

redbeard

Retro block wall has been completed and painted, he also installed some solar lighting and is filling up the space not sure the year of truck. He even picked out some slabs off the pile and hung them on the wall. He went with the old galv. rusty roofing he buffed them up a little and used automotive clear coat on them. Now i have to finish up constructing the windows and doors and it will be done.

Magicman

I'm glad that he went with that roofing.  It gave the building a nice look.

Thank You Sponsors!