iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another logging season comes to an end

Started by Quebecnewf, April 03, 2011, 04:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well it is now April and we have had a good winter in the woods. Late getting started due to mild conditions and lack of snow but the month of march was great. Good weather and lots of good snow conditions. We cut 300 logs this winter and also moved the 200 logs from last year to the shore line ready to raft home to the mill.

We also went inland and got 9 nice juniper(larch) logs for the kiln along with a 10 nice birch.

We found out this morning that the ice was to thin for travel .

A person left the island early this morning to cross to the mainland by snowmobile . We had a snowstorm yesterday and conditions were thought to be doubtful. Halfway across he decided to stop and check ice conditions. As he slowed down the snowmobile sank beneath him and he had to jump for his life . The machine sank he made it back onto the ice and got ashore a lot wetter and a lot wiser but minus his snowmobile.

Here is a shot of the rack at the mill as you can see there are some nice larch and birch waiting for the saw

Quebecnewf

Onthesauk

I still think you have one of the most interesting logging operations I've ever seen.  Always fun to see your pictures!

Does this mean a lot more logs in total for this year compared to any other?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

Keep us posted next season.Not going to say I'm looking forward to your pictures.   ;D  We still have snow on the ground here and that will mean it's cold again. Good luck next year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I was sorry to hear about your friends bad luck, but congratulations to you for having a very successful logging season plus being able to recover last years logs.  I would love to see pictures of your rafting and then sawing some of those logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

I will be launching my boat in the coming weeks and as soon as the ice clears out I will be watching the tides and planning my rafting trip.

This could be delayed due to heavy drift ice coming up through the gulf. If the winds keep easterly we may get blocked in with drift ice.

Time will tell . I will post pics as it happens

Quebecnewf

LeeB

How do you keep your logs from disappearing while they wait to be brought to the mill?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodsy

I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures from this winter.  I have been up in the interior and along the north shore a few times but never to the Petit Mecetina. I've always wanted to go to that river.  Been up in the Labrador interior a few times too.

I hope you post some pics of those logs being milled.  I'd love to see what goes on in that building next to the log deck. Thanks again for sharing all the wonderful pictures.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Quebecnewf

In this region there is no worry of logs disappearing . No locks on any of my sawmill sheds.

I will post some pics when I start sawing the larch and birch in about a week or so. I know I have more than enough to fill my solar kiln

I am very pleased about the larch logs . I have been waiting for quite a few years for conditions to be right to make a trip in country for them.

Quebecnewf

isawlogs

Always nice to read about your logging ways. Waiting for those milling and rafting pics  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kevin

I hope you have better luck than I did with the larch.
Lots of splitting and shake in the trees I milled.

KBforester

I've been pretty happy with my larch.. most of it has been air drying for 3 months... I've even got a test batch of 12x1 inch boards doing well. Very little pitch too.
Trees are good.

Quebecnewf

I stickered my larch last sunday and i am hoping for good results . It looked real good from the saw. My plan is 6 to 8 weeks outdoors and then into the kiln on the bottom under a load of birch.

Time will tell I guess

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!