iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for portable firewood processor plans

Started by mecosta, April 03, 2011, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mecosta

I have seen many places online that talk about purchasing plans to build a processor, but can't seem to find anyplace that actually has any plans to sell.  I am looking for something that I can pull behind a truck.  The only plans that I seem to be able to find are for a unit that says it can only process one cord every three hours.  That seems very slow to me.  Anyone have any idea where to get a good set of plans?  Anyone built one and have any suggestions? 
I am trying to help my 11 yr old learn how to work hard.  I figure it would be a good thing for us to do together to teach him a little bit of hard work as well as get him some experience with money/business.  I have burned wood for years but just cutt and split with a portable splitter.  I need something else, but cannot afford to buy a processor.
thanks

jdtuttle

Welcome to the forum. Dis you do a search here? there is allready alot of discussion on the topic & details on a couple builds.
jim
Have a great day

Buck

I admire your idea sir. I think you might be ahead of the game with just a good splitter with a multi wedge. I have a processor and find that I have to be very selective (in my region) in selecting wood to process. Knots and crotches are a challenge to a processor and not so bad to a regular beam style splitter. I guess it boils down to what kind of wood supply you have. I am impressed with Blockbuster and Timberwolf lines of processors and splitters. Both have websites and you can get information on their product lines. Lots of ideas too.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

mecosta

I did do a search and the only one that I found was the one build that is just getting finished right now.  That one is wayyyyy too nice for what I am looking for.  I am looking more for a small portable unit to pull behind a truck.  I did find a few posts referring to making a processor, but not anywhere to actually buy the plans.  Even when I do a search on the internet, I have only found one set of plans to buy and it did one cord every three hours.  We can do that much right now.

jdtuttle

Have a great day

sjfarkas

That one looks awfully slow.  A chain saw and splitter would be faster.  How do you find the parts to build a processor?  The chainsawmechanism is my curiosity.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

ihuntbear

I'm building one like the DYNA processer.I bought the saw motor from surplus center,sprocket from DANZCO and harvester bar from a local dealer.The only problem I'm having is how  i'm going to hook up the bar to lower and raise the saw.I could  i use a  hyd cyl but  I need more info but I could go manually with a bracket welded to the saw like the Farmi processer uses.Any info would be great

FFLM

ihuntbear
What motor did you end up purchasing from surplus?  I am in the planning process of building a processor.

Thanks
FFLM
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

ihuntbear

I bought a cross 1.5 cu.in part number 40MH15DACSC.  3000 rpm and a 15 tooth sprocket ,404 bar and chain.It Needs a 19 gpm pump to turn 3000.All the steel work is done and painted .just waiting for my valve bank to arrive.My hydraulic guy says I'll need a pressure reg and flow reg to make the bar come done after motor is up to speed.This will be teed off the back flow of the motor to the tank .Check valve before the tee.I hope he knows what he's talking about because motors hate back flow pressure

FFLM

Sounds good, what about a bar mount somthing that you made or something off the shelf?  Also wondering what you are doing for bar/chain lubing?

208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

ihuntbear

bar mount is something i made...Copied from utube.Lube is off the motor return line 

Thank You Sponsors!