iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone know what ITHAGA might be?

Started by Jeff, April 03, 2011, 12:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Shortly after my dad died in 1994 I came upon this ribbon that was in his office filing cabinet. I know that it belonged to his grand father, my great grandfather, Abram Brokaw. I put it away and just came upon it again this morning.  This is all I know about it.  Does anyone have any ideas that might help me learn more about what this might be?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flibob

Jeff,

Saw a ref of Ithaga being a spelling of Ithaca.  Maybe the reunion was Ithica NY.  Let us know what you find out.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

sawguy21

That is really interesting, 111 years old. I wonder where they served together.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Maybe something to honor the ones protected our country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I would say Ithaca, NY. Cornell University class reunion or possibly something like  the 76th New York State Volunteer Regiment reunion where ribbons were/are routinely given out. May not have been this particular regiment, but here is a site with ribbon photos.

http://www.bpmlegal.com/76NY/reunion-rb.html

Know anything about his schooling or service records?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

May 29, 1845 – Feb. 18, 1909  was when he lived. So the civil war would make sense.

Ron Wenrich

But its the 7th annual reunion.  It leads me to believe it was something that happened in 1892-3.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Not necessarily. There are lots of reunions that start years later than the event. There are "anniversary" reunions and numbered reunions since they began having them.

About the only battle of mention in the 1890's was that of Wounded Knee, I don't think was in NY. and then the Spanish-American War 1898.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

But they may not have started reunions until several years after what ever event.  You don't typically start having high school reunions until 10 years after.

Texas Ranger

In my grandads stuff was a cigar box full of Knights of Pythias ribbons, similar to yours, of various reunions.  They were a group, I think, formed after the end of the War of Northern Aggression to unite the US and Reb vets. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DouginUtah

If that is, in fact, a 'G' and not a 'C' then it may have something to do with the Ithaga Gun Company--a reunion of Ithaga gun owners.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Shotgun

Is there an Ithaga Gun Co. in addition to the Ithaca Gun Co. in Upper Sandusky, OH?

Just wondering...

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

[lmgtfy]soldiers and sailers ithaga[/lmgtfy]

Check out the first return when the above is searched on google.

http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/

SPIKER

I came up with a few possibilities but hard to say for sure without more info.

mechanical engineers back then.
a flood in Australia Queensland that year
also a ship of that name but was not until later when it sank, 1961.  
most popular are guns coming up and NY town by the name, which may be a spelling error as both Ithaca and Ithaga come up regularly.  it maybe that the name changed sometime?

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

I'm almost certain that my uncle Ron, my Dad's brother, told me that my great grandfather Abram fought in the civil war.  I just searched that database I found in google in the post above, and actually found 5 Abram Brokaws listed as soldiers.

Texas Ranger

Jeff, those 5 could be the same man, as he moved from unit to unit.  My great great granddad enlisted in the 1st Vermont for 6 months, then at the end of that, into the 2nd Vermont, ended up in a New York unit towards the end of the war.  Fought at Gettysburd as a reserve behind little round top.  Helped clean up the battle field after the shooting was over.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

We have a great guy here with the AMVETS that is right into making sure as many man as here can find has a flag for Veterans Day.He has done a great job in finding many of the forgottens ones. He really knows where to look and find them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

My grandfather had several guns made by the Ithaca gun company in Dunnville, Ontario Canada.

Ron Wenrich

Then there is Ithaca, MI.  Its a county seat, and had rail service 100 years ago. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I think the soldiers and sailors is probably more significant than the word ithaga.  Ithaca Michigan is not far from here, but Abram Brokaw came to Michigan from New York, so Ithaca New York actually makes more sense.

DanG

Jeff, I'm not so sure that the G in Ithaga isn't really a C.  Of course you can see it better than I, but I notice there is an extra bit of "curl" to most of those letters anyway.  I'm betting it was for a Veteran's reunion in Ithaca, NY.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I think you are right, and I think its probably a civil war reunion.

northwoods1

Quote from: Jeff on April 04, 2011, 08:51:04 AM
I think you are right, and I think its probably a civil war reunion.

I think so too, around that time the civil war vets were disappearing fast. Lots of memorials were being erected and reunions being held.

york

Jeff,may take me some time,but have friend,Jerry S. who is into this sort of thing,he from Newfield,ny

I was born east state st. Ithaca,ny-Ithaca gun is no more...later Bert
Albert

jdtuttle

Here's a database for Soldiers & Sailors. They have a Private Abram Brokaw listed
Jim
http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!