iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caterpillar 225 and 528

Started by ephnyb, April 02, 2011, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ephnyb

Can anyone tell me about Caterpillars 225 (log loader) and 528 (skidder)? A friend is scraping out a yard that has them and hates to see anything that still runs good to go to China (scrap). So if I want them I can get them for scrap price. I am not scared of the skidder being a little old but what about the 225?? Is it to old and slow? What are its week points? How much does it weight? Anything about these two machines would be great to know. I haven't seen them but for him to not want to scrap them they must be in great shape. Thanks..  P.S. I have another vid on my Deere 440 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiYMweWo2CI
There are Old Loggers and there are Bold Loggers, But No Old Bold Loggers

ephnyb

Sorry about the music. I can't change it......

snowstorm

a 528 is a bigggg skidder only ever saw one much more 518's around. never ran a 225 but did spend a lot of time in a 215 excavator. fairly fast in its day dug pretty well

Bobus2003

Glad too see theirs others out there that push the limits of their skidder.. My 440 loves 2-3 wheels on steep ground

ephnyb

snowstorm How does a 528 compare to a Timberjack 560(Deere 748)? That's what I'm running now.

tyb525

Wow! That's some rough ground there.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

lumberjack48

If you load the back tires, that little 440 would go up and down hill like a mountain goat.

My C-5, 3-53 stick shift with 18.4 x 34 tires with no fluid was a scary machine on steep ground, you better have clean underwear with you.

My S8 International 3-53 power-shift with 18.4 x 26 tires with fluid front and back, was like a Big Horn Sheep on steep ground, with double disk brake, a fun machine to run.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!