iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-stain my log house

Started by sparky1, April 02, 2011, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Jeff, any reason why the Sikkens SRD wouldn't work on my log cabin (its just a cabin, spruce logs).

SRD a gallon is around 35$
Sikkens Cetol Log siding is around $65 a gallon

from what i've seen online.

Sbishop

Jeff

Its all we have used on our house. So far we have never retained anything.  I'll go out side and snap a few photos so you can see how it has weathered over time.  I honestly can't see what the benefit is of paying for the $65 a gallon stuff.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

The House was stained in 2004
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7218.0.html

The fence was stained in 2005
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12636.0.html

and the cabin was also stained in 2005 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14094.0.html

My plan was to restain this year as you can see from some of the photos that there is getting to be some weathering, but that depends on how quick I heal from this shoulder surgery. We are talking 7 years now on the house and it still looks pretty good.

sbishop

So Jeff, you are saying (and i'm thinking) that SRD will work just fine!!!!!!

Jeff

I'm saying it works fine for me and I don't regret using it.  :)

sbishop

I also see you only need to put one coat on...... 8)

Jeff

That's all we did on everything you see there. One coat.  We tried spraying to begin with, but you had to brush it in anyhow, so we just brush it on.

I just recalled that we did re-stain one thing so far. The flag pole this past year got another coat.

jander3

There is some very good info on log home prep and stain at www.loghelp.com which is Schroeder Log Home Supply.  And, if you have questions, you call them up and they are glad to help.  Use them for many supplies.

sparky1

This is all great info. thanks to everyone who commented.
Shaun J

woodnie

Check out a product called  Penofin. Did my home sawed pine cabin in ne. Iowa  with it  5 years ago. This product will protect wood from uv rays. Kind of spendy but well worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck.
"Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant"

sparky1

Ok, so i think tommorow im gonna give the bleech thing a whirl.. so what im gathering is just mix bleech and water in a sprayer. spray on and then before it dries spray off.. Do i have that correct?  so when i do this, all i have to do is let the house and deck dry and im all ready for stain?

it just seems to easy!! :) am i missing something here? What im gathering is that the bleech will take the logs basically back to there original color, even if i have a darker stain on them now?
Shaun J

Jeff

The bleach is not going to remove discoloration from under previous coats of stain, and its not likely to lighten the color of previous coats of stain. If the stain is weathered off, and the wood is discolored from mildew, mold or oxidation, it should help with those things.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sparky1

ok, that makes a little more sense to me. So for my best results i should probably do the pressure wash thing and maybe even mix in a little bleech with the washer and then re-stain the whole house. im guessing i will have to apply at least 2 coats because of the darker color.
Shaun J

Jeff

You definitely need to wash before you stain to remove all the flora and fauna.

sparky1

Ok, I think im starting to undertand this ;D I could possibly get by washing the house with the bleech solution and then re-stain over the existing stain to "darken" it up to what it was originally was. This would eliminate the pressure washing.
Shaun J

sparky1

ok.. I'm ready to order some stain now, I was chatting with a sales man yesterday. He told me to use the Sikkens system. First use the cytol 1 (one coat) and then use cytol 23 (two coats).  So i seen a house he said was done, and it looked great. But I then seen the price of the stain and it's 60 plus bucks a gallon. Is this necessary, I don't want to short change it. I also don't want to pay more for something thats not needed..
Shaun J

frwinks

judging by the pics posted by Jeff, the one coat SRD does a pretty good job.  The house stained in '04 still on it's first coat and looking fine 8)

Jeff

The only thing I can say is that I'd not do anything different if I had to do it again. The other stuff worked fine for me. One thing though is my wood is all Northern white cedar. If I never stained the siding, it would still last my lifetime.

oklalogdog

sbishop

I used CWF on a rustic house I built in 1980.  The gables were rough sawn board and batten cedar with exposed rough sawn 6" X 12" cedar beams.  It was over ten years before I had to treat again.  The south gable at that time was the only one that really needed it.  The two east gables and north gable still looked pretty good.  I'm no preservative expert but CWF worked pretty good for me.

I am now in the first stages of building a log house and am also trying to figure out which would be the best to use.  There is another one used a lot down here TWP.

P.S. I'm in Oklahoma - I think the area makes a lot of difference too.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

MReinemann

Looking back through this post even though it started in April.  Sparky if you still got the bats I believe wasp and hornet killer will kill them I remember my dad using that in our attic back when I was a kid.

Jennsmith15

Hi! I have a question. For the bleach/water mixture, can I just use regular clorox bleach?
We have white pine logs and woodguard stain was used the first time to stain them. The house and deck was stained in 2008 and they need stained again.  Do you all suggest going with sikkins? We have considered hiring someone to restain the house, but after reading these posts I think we can do it ourselves.  If I am correct, spray the bleach/water mix on with a power washer, rinse it off, let the logs dry, then apply the stain with a brush - 1 coat if we are using the sikkins correct?

logsmith

Re cleaning and staining, my experiences are
1. I avoid power washing for reasons stated on this forum
2. I use a stain product called TWP, not usually available at big box stores though
3. Someone asked about black logs near the top.  I found this on my house also, professional painters said it could not be removed.  I found it was simply ...dirt... that collected on the logs more protected from the rain.
4. To wash I just use a general house cleaner, like you can get at big box and attach to end of garden hose, and a brush on a pole and then good rinsing and drying.  But be careful, there are also products that will take off most of your existing stain, unless that is what you want.
5. I only use bleach or similar product to remove mold, which is usually just in areas that may collect water and are also more shaded from the sun.  Mold removal also takes some brushing
6. Re staining, after a couple of times having it sprayed, I have found that brushing is truely the best method and will last a lot longer.  But, there are some logs that I cannot reach easily with a brush, if any one has a suggestion for a tool for application in these cases would like to know (considered a roller tool with stain in the pole handle, but think that would be really messy and hard to get over a rounded log anyway)

sparky1

HOUSE DONE!!! WHAT A GOOD FEELING!!!!!! 8)  I ended up pressure washing it. that took three weekends. I used a bleach and water mixture.. it worked well!! I then used Sikkens cetol log and siding stain. It was about 70 dollars a gallon, but i love the look!!! we went through around 11 gallons! A case of Korbel to my boss for letting me use the boom truck, and a couple hundred dollars for gas. It took two weekends to stain the house too! Now i get to go through and caulk all the joints, the builders didn't think it was necessary to do that...uggh.  all in all i have 1300 dollars stuck in this so far!!
Shaun J

Magicman

Congratulations on getting that chore behind you.  Now you can concentrate on fun stuff.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!