iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should i purchase a used Central Bolier model# CL 40

Started by sparky1, April 02, 2011, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

this is my first post on this site, so see how it goes..

well heres my question. I have the opportuninty to buy a Central Boiler, Model 40 from a buddy. Its manufactured in 1997. he wants somewhere around 1500 dollars. He doesnt know much about it as it came with his house. 1500 is what he paid for it. I guess i would like to know if this would be a good deal, do they have alot of issues after 13 years of use? I called a dealer and of course he want me to buy a new one from him, which might be the way to go if im fixing this one all the time. I did notice the outer tin is discolered, which tells me it has gotten very hot. Maybe this is normal, i dont konw? thanks in advance for any advice given..

shaun
Shaun J

doctorb

sparky1-

Welcome to the FF.  Hard to answer your question.  There are many of the traditional style OWB's from CB still out there.  I would not purchase it until I saw it working and inspected the welds for leaks.  If the previous owner had to add water to the system periodically, then that might be a red flag for me.  I would also check the water quality in the system.  If it's got a lot of rust, and may never have had the water changed, then I might assume that this unit has not been getting adequate annual maintenance and I might shy away from it.

You can get a new non-gasifying OWB for around 5k.  I don't know anything about the used OWB market so I can not comment on price.  I would not hesitate to discuss this with CB corporate.  They may offer to sell you a refurbished unit with which they might provide some guarantee.  Call the company.  Your dealer will be out of this loop unless you strike a deal with CB.  Then he will be the deliverer and installer.   In general, 13 years is not forever with an OWB, but its certainly past middle age.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sparky1

Thanks for your response. The situation of the boiler is really unknown, my friend unhooked it. He unhooked it this last fall because we were working outa town and didnt want to freeze the lines. He just cut the pex lines and thats how it still is. The more i think about it though im steering away. ive read a few posts on here that ten years is kind of a mark that they start to deteriate, and i dont want to spend 1500 and im tearing it apart in a few years. Plus the tin is not the color i want to match my house...

With all that said, i just bought some timber ground and am very seriously thinking about purchasing a new unit.  Whats the best out there? Are they all the same, or am I only going to get totally bias results on here?? umm i guess the house im gonna heat is rought 2500 sq ft of finished room and a full basement underneat that im possibly going to finish off.
Shaun J

thecfarm

There's 11 pages of just about what you are asking here. I have a Heatmor because of it simple design.No solid state units,no computor,just a simple design.Most parts can be bought at any big box or plumbling store.I bought mine before all of the forced EPA stuff.Don't matter what kind you buy,the ones that don't know nothing about OWB will say they all smoke.I've seen people's inside stoves smoke more than my OWB. Just make sure whatever you do buy is allowed in your area.Don't want to get it in and than have a neighbor complain just beacuse they can and than have a person from your town,city telling you OWB are not allowed in your area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sparky1

thanks for the advice, i will do a little reasearch on the heatmor. and compare to the ones i see around here
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!