iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain sawing cants from a downed spruce following chalk line?

Started by SwampDonkey, April 02, 2011, 05:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, something for you chainsaw boys to ponder or throw fodder at. ;D

Do you suppose a fellow could chalk line a log for say 10-12 foot to mark your saw path along a log to square up a timber say 6x6" or 8x8"? I have this big old spruce that fell over when the butt blew out in a wind storm. The rest of the log is cream yellow, which is real amazing to me. I have a couple chainsaws, both 53 cc or so, a Husky and an Efco. I was wondering if anyone has done this or much of it. I know there are chainsaw mills, but if a man can whittle out a cant/timber with hand tools, why not a chainsaw. I really don't want to box the heartwood. I want to discard it actually, 4" around the pith, and use the outside wood. There isn't much difference in decay resistance in white spruce between heart and sap. You just never know when you might use a big old timber in a barn or old farm house. ;) I don't intent to run the saw hard, there will be some resting involved. I'm not interested in production. ;)

Here is a picture of the tree. If I remember correctly, the log is 22" on the but and 32 feet long to a 10" top.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like you did well there. :) I have awhile to go before I can even tackle it because of the snow.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I can't see why not. I would have a sharp chain on both. Could you saw with one for 10-15 minutes and than swap saws? This way you won't have to run those saws wide open for a straight ½ hour.I don't think it would do them much good. Make sure the fins are clean on the motor too.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I can. My runs with the saw(s) aren't going to be much more than 5 minutes and won't be full throttle even then.  :)

celliott

You definitely can.  Last winter I did the same thing, with a chunk of spruce, and cedar. My dad needed some long boards for kayak paddles. He was going to carve them anyways, so it didnt matter as much that they were rough.  Freehand with a chainsaw isn't perfect but it'll definitely work!
BTW I used a 357XP.  Keep your chain sharp and you should be fine, just take your time. Helps the saw, and its more accurate.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

weimedog

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2011, 07:42:23 AM
I can't see why not. I would have a sharp chain on both. Could you saw with one for 10-15 minutes and than swap saws? This way you won't have to run those saws wide open for a straight ½ hour.I don't think it would do them much good. Make sure the fins are clean on the motor too.Good luck.

Ripping like that is how I test my saw builds..they have to be able to handle  similar situation before they make it to "farm service". Typically a cut like that in pine with a full blade of wood is about a minute per 1.5 foot. ie 12 ft, 8 minutes. This with my 80 cc Jonsered 820 build. More power, less time! With motomedic's big machine he was taking maybe 6 minutes for a slab. When I was milling hard Maple and Ash, with my old McCulloch 797, 15 minutes for a 14 ft slab in 28in wood was typical. AND of course the chain played a major role in thise!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SwampDonkey

Left Coast Chris

I have had to rip a few larger logs to put on the band mill and I ran the chalk line longtudinally down the log then repeat straight down the cut ends to get the straight up and down of the saw bar set.   With a 40" diameter log its more difficult to maintain the saw bar straight up and down.   With a smaller log and in soft wood you should not have a problem if the timber does not have to be exactly square.   

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Al_Smith

I've got a Grandville mini mill which is similar to that thing Weime has .You just nail a 2 by 4 on the log and saw away .

Using either a Mac 125 or Homelite 2100 S I can make about a foot a minute on 18" oak . It's an option but a slow one .

SwampDonkey

Although, I'm sure those gadgets are great for their intended purposes, I'm not looking to buy anything. ;)  Just looking to get'r done with what I got. I think you (me) will be surprised at how good a job you can do if not in a hurry. ;)

Al_Smith

You can free hand a rip cut or just nail a striaght 2 by 4 on the log and slide the dog down it as a guide . I'd advise using the largest saw you can lay your hands on or you'll be at it a long while .

It's one thing to cut fire wood with  3 cuber and an entirely different thing to try and rip with one .

SwampDonkey

Apparently, you've never met a Maritimer with Scots blood before. ;)

Al_Smith

:D Well perhaps not . I have tried to rip with a little saw though( 4 cuber ) and it's an exercise in futility .

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

It sure can be done. When building a log house the first log down is split, here is how it gets sawed...

Tools used.  chalk line, level, saw. Any one of your saws can be used for this, that cut aint gonna hurt it none.

Mark the small end of the log with the level to a point wide enough to make either the 6x6 or the 8x8 , what ever you want or the log can produce for you .
  Using a nail to hold your chalk line to the small end level line, with level at large end, sight down your log to visualise the cut , once satisfied of the slab thickness, mark the level line and chalk both sides.
  Start saw and cut above your line, you should be able to use both lines to make a very straight and level cut.
   Once this cut is done , the three others are a repeat and much easier.
If this is clear as mud , pm me your phone number and I will be glad to explaine it all in French to ya.  eh eh   ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

Ya know I would of eventualy talked to ya in da Shakespear tongue ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

05_sprcrw

I have been considering doing this as well looks like I will have to give it a go here when I find a suitable log.

Kevin

Quote from: 05_sprcrw on April 04, 2011, 08:03:30 AM
I have been considering doing this as well looks like I will have to give it a go here when I find a suitable log.

There's one under the snow in Centreville, NB.

tyb525

Running a saw wide open will actually do it more good than running at partial throttle - they are designed to be used wide open.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mad murdock

Swamp, Jim King has written on other posts on the FF.  That is the way they do it in Peru all the time, they freehand the logs into cants and pack them by hand to a mill to saw into boards.  You will be amazed at what you will be able to do with minimal tools.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

05_sprcrw

Quote from: Kevin on April 04, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
Quote from: 05_sprcrw on April 04, 2011, 08:03:30 AM

There's one under the snow in Centreville, NB.

Might be a little far for me to travel  :D, but we have a few large oaks that were downed last fall in a wind storm we have been making a lot of fire wood out of it but now we are down to a very large trunk that I could possibly use for a few posts

Thank You Sponsors!