iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flooring trailer

Started by Paper Maker, March 31, 2011, 10:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Maker

I have 2 Questions for you-al .  I sawed about 450 bf of white oak yesterday. And just so has it the town came by  today and wanting to buy the lumber to floor the trailer they haul there backhoe on. How long should I let the lumber dry before it can be used on the trailer. I'll also be the one to floor it. Being new to sawing lumber I don't want my name associated with a shabby job. For my next question. About a week ago while sawing some pine I hit 2 nails in a row. But about 8 inches before I hit the nails the band run up about 1 inch. Am I seeing things or did the nails do something to the wood that caused this. My dad said the saw was smarter than I was. It was trying to miss the nails.         I'm not sure what happend. I just thought it was strange. Thanks for any input.                               

beenthere

Quote from: Paper Maker on March 31, 2011, 10:40:25 PM
  I have 2 Questions for you-al .  I sawed about 450 bf of white oak yesterday. And just so has it the town came by  today and wanting to buy the lumber to floor the trailer they haul there backhoe on. How long should I let the lumber dry before it can be used on the trailer. I'll also be the one to floor it. Being new to sawing lumber I don't want my name associated with a shabby job. ........

Is the white oak in 2" planking? What widths?
The wood will shrink over time, but that shouldn't amount to a shabby job for the backhoe trailer. It will leave room for the dirt to fall through.  Should be able to lay it down right away, and the sooner the better if crook in the planks might show up. Bolt such that the planks can shrink with minimal splitting. IMO
Sort out boards with bad grain and large knots or splits. If it looks good when you put it down, it should stay that way over time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

Right ,off the mill on the trailer. Put the best boards where the wheels will be.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

PM,the usual is for a band to hit a nail that upsets the set and small curls of the nail steel stick to the tooth cutting edge.I've never seen or heard of a nail affecting the wood fibers in pine ,oak you would get discoloration but no real change in the wood.Many times if you hit a nail perpendicular it does little damage just take your pocket knife from gullet to tip and flip the little curls of nail steel off the tooth also look at the set in the band section hit,many times I've corrected a bent tooth with a pair of pliers and continued with the same band.You want some clearance between oak floor boards bolt them up green and when they dry its just right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

I have 2 Questions for you-al .  I sawed about 450 bf of white oak yesterday. And just so has it the town came by  today and wanting to buy the lumber to floor the trailer they haul there backhoe on. How long should I let the lumber dry before it can be used on the trailer. I'll also be the one to floor it. Being new to sawing lumber I don't want my name associated with a shabby job. For my next question. About a week ago while sawing some pine I hit 2 nails in a row. But about 8 inches before I hit the nails the band run up about 1 inch. Am I seeing things or did the nails do something to the wood that caused this. My dad said the saw was smarter than I was. It was trying to miss the nails.         I'm not sure what happend. I just thought it was strange. Thanks for any input.                               
Never put blades that hit metal back back together with your other blades.  Fear will sweep through the whole box and none of them will ever be any good again.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Warren

The wood will never look better than right off the saw.  Bolt it down before it gets a chance to bow/warp/twist.   As stated above, widest, clearest boards under the wheel tracks.  Piece and fit down the middle.  Blow it down with an air hose when you are done to clear all of the chips and dust.

The best part is smiling and saying "Thank you" when you hand them the bill to recover some of YOUR tax dollars !   8)

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Wintergreen Mountain

Wise sugestion!!    terrifictimbersllc .   :D :D :) :)

And   Paper Maker.  Install the planks green and clamp them well.   
   Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

customsawyer

The reason you blow the trailer off is that the metal from drilling and bolting down will stain the wood. Make sure you charge a fair price as putting that wood on a trailer always seems to have hidden little extras that need done to do the job right.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

With Oak, you can put it on fairly tight.  After shrinkage, it should be OK.  When installing Black Locust or Cherry, leave a crack.  It doesn't shrink.  Yes, I have floored trailers with Cherry.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

northwoods1

I am curious how much do some of you others charge for trailer decking lumber per board foot and what species?

Chuck White

About a week ago while sawing some pine I hit 2 nails in a row. But about 8 inches before I hit the nails the band run up about 1 inch. Am I seeing things or did the nails do something to the wood that caused this.  I'm not sure what happend. I just thought it was strange. Thanks for any input. 

I would almost bet that another, possibly smaller nail was hit 8 inches before the two that you did see!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Paper Maker

I wondered how much to charge for white oak lumber myself. I checked Craigslist out for some pricing and it looks like it's going for $1.00 a board foot.  To be honest though, I thought it should have been a little more. I'll work off midnights in the morning and swing by and check the trailer out. I had cut the lumber originally to floor my trailer with. But my wife is ready to see a little money coming from the saw. I appreciate you all for taking the time to help someone you don't even know. The people here seem to take pride in what they do. I tell my son often, if you take pride in what you do everything else is taken care of.  :)

Jeff

We sold W.O. trailer decking at .50 a foot when I was sawing but that was 2006
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

It's .70 to .85 here in MN, logs cost .30.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ely

i sell red oak for 1.00 to some folks, down to .80 cents too others.

paul case

i sell oak trailer flooring for $.60 . i think kansas gets quite a bit more for his but it is all in having a good clientelle. most folks i sell to will probably need another one in 20 years or so. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jim_Rogers

When I cut oak for a trailer deck, I cut red oak.

I usually try and get the dimensions of the deck before I begin cutting so that I can divide up the distance between the rails and make up planks that will drop in just right. (Rails run front to back, ribs run side to side.)
For example the last trailer I did was 26" between the rails, I did it with three planks 8 5/8" so that the total adds up to 25 7/8".
Between the center rails was 25" so I did three 8 1/4" pieces.

Now that you have all the lumber sawn you'll have to figure out how to lay it out, and fill in the deck.

One thing you can do is fill it in with the planks you've got and start at the outside on each side and work towards the middle. When you get near each other in the middle cut one smaller plank to make up the finial piece and fill it in. It really depends on the trailer and how many rails you have going from front to back.
Some trailer decks only have the outside two rails, and the ribs go completely across over the base frame.
Try and end any planks over a rib so you can secure it done to the rib.

Also, as mentioned put it down green.

Recently, I asked someone which side goes up. The side towards the center of the tree or bark side.
He told me bark side up.

What do you guys do?

I told my customer to put them bark side up.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom

I've not had a lot of success with trailers decked with Red Oak because they rot from underneath.  I think that white oak would resist that a bit better than red oak.  'Course you have to use what you have available. 

Petroleum products put 0n the top surfaces don't seem to help as much as people will say, and we all forget about about the bottom surfaces.  Even if the wood is dry, the ground moisture will condense on the bottoms of the boards as the sun comes up.  I don't  mean this to be a condemnation, just an awareness.

You were told right about putting the bark side up, in  my opinion.  The main reason is "Shelling".  Shelling is when the growth rings turn loose from the pith side of the board and the sharp edges begin to curl away from the surface.  It's really dangerous on a walking surface, like floors or decks.  I doubt it would hurt a tire rolling on a trailer deck, but it might cause an operator to trip and fall.

Jim_Rogers

I know what you mean about products put onto trailer decking.

One of the other many uses for the lumber we make is planks for cemeteries.  You know when you go to a funeral and the casket carriers walk up and place the casket onto the rig that has the straps on it and lowers the casket down into the ground. That rig is setting one two oak planks underneath the carpet that looks like a lawn.

I make a lot of these for cemeteries all over my county as one of my many customers is the vault company that sets the burial vault. They have planks I made them on each vault delivery truck. And the cemetery workers see these nice new planks and usually they ask him where did he get them. He tells them and they call me.

Well, anyway, I was delivering some planks to a cemetery not far from me where this worker told me he used to be a house painter. And back when he was a kid just learning house painting from his boss/dad or whomever, they used wooden ladders. He told me that the ladders were always outside and in the rain. In order to keep the ladders from ruin they would paint them with 50% linseed oil mixed 50% with turpentine. This would make the ladders last a long time.

When you read some of the labels on can's of "deck protectors" you see that most of them say "...apply to dry wood...."  Well, this oak is not dry at all, usually green right off the mill.

But when you read a can of boiled linseed oil it doesn't say anything about "...applying to dry wood".... what it does say is "...helps wood to prevent splitting and checking.." or something like that. It's my understanding that the oil is absorbed by the wood and it might displace the water and keeps it from drying out too rapidly and doesn't split that much, if any.

I tell each customer about this and suggest that they paint the bottom of the trailer decking before the put down the planks. And then after it is down and secured, paint the top side.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

This part of the country Red Oak is not usually considered suitable if one has a choice.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paper Maker

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 01, 2011, 07:34:12 PM
Never put blades that hit metal back back together with your other blades.  Fear will sweep through the whole box and none of them will ever be any good again.
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 01, 2011, 07:34:12 PM
AW man. I wished you would have said something sooner. I'll let them stay inside tonight. Maybe that will help.

redbeard

douglas fir is popular for trailer decking in our area the fasteners usually blacken the wood.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Tom

The main reason for Oak around here is the transport of metal-tracked vehicles.   If bulldozer transporters can get Live Oak, they are very happy.  Treated pine works great for rubber tires, like farm tractors skidders and feller bunchers.  I suspect that the use of fir might be the same.

Warren

PM,

I did an 8ft x 20ft equipment roll back a couple years ago.  I charged the equipment dealer $800 for the entire job.  I broke it down and quoted it as:

$320 for 320 BF of 2" thick white oak decking

$180 for tear off and prep.  I had to take the old deck off, grind off the remaining self tapping bolts, straighten some metal, dispose of the old, rotten decking.  Figure the cost of at least one 4" grinder wheel for cutting bolts and smoothing things out.

$300 for installation, including 88 new 5/16" self tapping bolts.  the price of steel is going up.   Check the cost on your fasteners, nuts, bolts, washers, etc, before you bid the job.  If you are going to have to drill, or re-drill holes, figure the cost of several new drill bits.  I used a 1/2" drive torx bit and an impact wrench to actually drive the self tapping bolts. Figure the cost of the torx driver bit if you use torx bolts.

You can make good money on the job.  But you gotta add up all of the little things before you offer a final fixed price.

-w-

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

paul case

i spent the afternoon cutting trailer flooring 2x8-16'. i needed 9 and i always put an extra one in. for a 16' car hauler. i had a red oak log or 2 at the mill that would have made them, except when i cut it out there were big black ants and their holes. so i went to the woods and got 2 post oak 16'ers. 1 of those would have made 8 boards but the knots were all nasty and black looking. the last log was bigger and made 12   2x8 and a 2x12 and they were all good. finally got them done but i actually cut enough for 3 trailer floors.

thats how it goes i guess!! :( ??? :-\  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!