iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Critter Quiz...

Started by chet, December 21, 2003, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Photo is not actual size.

Hint: you will normally only see these in winter.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Gus

Boy Chet,
 Ya' got me on that one.
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Stump Jumper

Dem UP bugs are different haven't never seen one in the Lower where we are at. :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

chet

Stump_jumper, ya got dem, ya just weren't paying attention.

SDSaw, I'll bet once ya know what it is you have seen millions of dem.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Stump Jumper

Maybe if it was in color I might be able to recognize it . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

etat

I'm absolutely sure it's not a lightning bug.  Or a candle fly!  Just trying to narrow it down a little! :) :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Mark M

Dat's not a snow flea is it Chet? When I was a kid one warm spring morning (with about 4 feet of snow on the ground) I was walking down our road and the snow banks were covered with little black bugs, thousands of them. My grandma told me they were snow fleas. I've never seen them since nor have I ever heard anyone mention them. They were really small but can't remember any features.

chet

Ya got it dar Mark.  8)  Check out this link for a decent description, Although I disagree with the size they quote. Snow Flea's I have always seen are much smaller, like specks of black pepper.
http://ndnd.essortment.com/whataresnowfl_rhaz.htm

Tom

No wonder I didn't know what it was. :P ??? :D   Snow fleas ::)

We don't know what that is down here.  Isn't it that mushy white stuff? :D

Mark M

It's good to know I wasn't halucinatin again Chet!

I do remember them suckers jumpin like crazy and being about the size of pepper.

chet

You do have them, Tom. It's just that they are so small you can't see them without the white backround of snow. I have pointed them out to people that have worked in the woods all their life and had never known they were there. Most folks just figure it is dirty snow, until ya show-um da dirt can jump.   ;D

breederman

Mark ,ya beat me to it.I've seen um lots a times.About pepper size.
Together we got this !

Gus

DanGit Chet, I worked in the woods for lotta years, seen lotsa dirty snow and heard guys talkin' about snow flea but thought they were full of mulberries. Don't guess if I seen them I ever recognized them.
Gus
DanGed if a guy can't learn something everyday. Even when he isn't trying too. 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Tom

I'm going to have to get my bug net and magnifying glass and go to the swamp.   We don't have any snow so I'll just have to pick a cold day. :D   The mosquitoes will be down but I'll still have to fight the ticks.  Most of them are about the size of this animal you say I can find.  

What comes to mind is that Swamp Thing TV show with the guy all covered in vines.  I hope I don't come out'a there looking like that. :-/ :P :D

chet

It's time to fess up folks. Have ya ever heard of these critters or seen them. Or do ya think someone might be sneaking in one of dem December fools jokes.  :D

pasbuild

you can't get away from bugs in da UP on a warm sunny winter day there they are.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

chet

Went out today ta look ta see if dem dar snow fleas were out and about. Nope.   :(    But I did see one of dem elusive snow snakes.  8)  Not too DanG often ya get ta see one of dem critters.   ;D

pasbuild

I'm suprised you could even spot the elusive snow snake with the weather we have been getting :o been so bad here the bunnys haven't come out from under the porch for three days now :o
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

L. Wakefield

We have the snow fleas every year. Snow snakes- no- heard tell, I'll believe it when I see it. Thar's other kindsa snakes and mythical critters I hear of from time to time.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

etat

I don't know about the abominable snow snakes. Guess not enough snow around here.  However in the late spring I do keep an eye out for the elusive hoop snake.  I hear those stingers in their tail are DEADLY!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ed_K

Find an open spring, and you'll find at least a garder snake under the leaf litter :o.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!