iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eagles

Started by cinnabar, March 30, 2011, 09:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinnabar

This is cool, you don't get to see these guys up close and personal on the nest.  We see them here around town and along the roadsides.  When they take off out of the ditch as you drive by, it does take your breath away.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Patty

That is pretty neat. My grandson really enjoys watching them at this site.

We see more and more eagles every year around here, it is awesome.  We don't live far from the Iowa river, so I hope someday to see their nests on our farm.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Put up some nesting platforms. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

The snow geese overwinter here. All up and down the river valley are thousands of snow geese. Quite a few hunters come in for them. Once in awhile we see eagles. A hunter told me they prey on the cripples that  got winged.

cheyenne

Amazing site the babies are growing fast.........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

timerover51

If you want to see eagles, take a cruise on the Inside Passage in Alaska.  They make for an incredible sight.

SwampDonkey

I'd be willing to bet that Price Rupert, BC has more eagles per square foot than anywhere. The phone book had a photo from a contest they ran with over 20 eagles in one spruce tree. :D Go to the dump and there will be 300 or more along with the seagulls and ravens.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

The eaglets are large and stretching their wings.  You might have to sit for a while before one comes into view of the camera. 

WILDSAWMILL

WE HAVE A FEW HERE ops on our farm they take our chickens every so often
but cool to view
Kascosaw2B

Onthesauk

Went on an Alaska cruise last week.  Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka and Ketchikan.  In Sitka went for a tour of the Alaska Raptor Center, about 20 eagles being rehabbed there.  Got a front row seat in a room with a young female eagle.  Can't able to release this one and training it for groups or schools.  Impressive birds up close.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

chain

Eagles make good poacher detector. We have a pair feeding out of our lake, one adult comes early morning, sits in a willow snag. When eagle flys away or does not perch upon the snag most likely someone is near.

Sure enough, one day, an eagle lit and immediately flew away without its fish. I went down to the lake and yep, there's the same fellow that sneaks in everyyear.

"Thought I told you this was a private lake", I said. He says, "this is the first and only time this year", I laughed at him, and told him I had a flying camera overhead. He had a worried look until I told him to go ahead and fish that day.

Randy88

A few interesting notes on the Decorah eagles, first one is even though there are many eagles in the area, hundreds in fact, an eagle is so solitary a bird very few ever mate and have young.   I've flown people who are experts on eagles to do counts of them and also to look for nests that they don't know about to see how many nesting pairs there are in the area. If your not aware of where this nest is located its right across the street from the state fish hatchery in a tree on private property behind a couples house.   I found it ironic that the state fish hatchery wasn't too happy with the wild cranes and eagles eating their fish right out of the fish ponds but since both birds are protected there's not much they can do about it.   

I know at one time the owners wanted the nest and tree taken down and removed from their property but some agreement must have been reached between the dnr and the owners, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, that or nobody would take the tree down, either way its still a good thing.   

Whether the town knows it or not that single camera has done more for the town of decorah than anything else for publicity than anyone could have ever imagined, it basically put decorah on the map for a good thing.   

edkemper

I'm lucky to have property near Klamath Falls Oregon. Second only to Alaska in the numbers of eagles. Saw one on my property just last year. On the ground with some catch covered by his/her wings like a cage. 8)
Old Man

beenthere

Ed
Welcome to the forum.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Ed- welcome to the FF!

If any are interested in nesting platforms for eagles, as suggested by SwampD earlier, they are best placed in the crotch of a "super-canopy tree" ( one where the bifurcations are above the level of the remainder of the canopy so eagles have unrestricted flight to the nest ) and are usually 15 - 25 meters off the ground.  That's a pretty high tree house project for a weekend!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

The osprey will occupy some of them as well. The osprey also have a lot of nests here on steel power line towers. We see eagles and osprey on the river most days when traveling river routes. Osprey of course leave in the winter.

doctorb

We,too, have lots of osprey.  They will nest fairly close to the ground or water (10 - 15 feet).  I have seen the nests in the cross country electrical towers that SD described.  They can be very high off the ground.  The eagles are more selective of their nesting sites.  They require more height on average and do not nest that close together.  Down on the Chesapeake Bay, you can sometimes find an osprey nest on every consecutive navigational aid.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

VT_Forestry

Quote from: doctorb on October 04, 2011, 05:48:07 PM
  Down on the Chesapeake Bay, you can sometimes find an osprey nest on every consecutive navigational aid.

They can get a little animated when you paddle your kayak underneath of them, especially when they have the youngins  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Chris Burchfield

We have Eagles in Tennessee about 120 miles North of Memphis where people go to watch in the winter.  I've never been to see them.  I provide the following link in case someone is interested:   http://www.reelfoottourism.com/eagle.html   

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Bill Gaiche

SwampDonkey

The bald eagle population in New Brunswick has gone from 12 nesting pairs in 1980 to an estimated 145 pairs in 2008. Eagles were not even that common back in 1900. It's still listed as endangered in NB but things are looking up. The osprey was once endangered and has now had a successful comeback and no longer listed as endangered in NB.

Bibbyman

Mary got my attention while I was running the loader.  A bald eagle was circling nearly overhead.  First one this fall.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

I saw an adult hovering over the river just as 100 geese were circling to land on the water.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!