iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

940 allis chamers lift?

Started by semologger, March 30, 2011, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I am looking to buy a new lift and this one came up.  But of corse there is always a catch. The motor is a 2900 series. He said that he can get it started up and run but after a few minutes it starts rolling black smoke out of it. He said it is loading up on fuel. He said he had changes the injector pump and checked the return line. But was unable to fix the problem. Its is a turbo motor. He wasnt able to start it up for me cause he was running the mill at the time. Any sugestions on what it  may be he is asking 4,000 for the rig. Or know of anyone that may have back grounds with these motors.

snowstorm

if the injectors dont have a good spray patern they pop off at to low a pressure or drip. lok at the exhaust manifold is it black an wet around a cyl?

jamesamd

Sounds like the Turbo is DEAD!
More info is needed  about the type of injection pump.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Ford_man

The 2900 engine was used on the gleaner Lll Combine and was an efficient engine . The one that I had started a little hard in cold weather if it wasn't plugged in And was very dependable.

red oaks lumber

pour a quart of tranny fluid in the fuel tank, run it if the pump and or injectors are dirty this will clean them if it doesnt run any better after awhile then it might be the turbo or something more serious.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

snowstorm

its pretty easy to check the turbo. pull the air intake off .....turbine  spin smoth move up an down in an out? signs of oil? black smoke is fuel more than it can burn. some of the old ih motors were very rich running just the way they were. like a old mack . if the pump is fine then the injectors need to come out to be tested. they do wear out.

semologger

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to take a good hot battery with me first of next week and go out and start it. I had a guy tell me there is also a check valve in the return that goes to the injector pump. I will give more info on it when i go out and try starting it. All in all the machine looks pretty tight. The guy selling it came buy today and said every thing else works great its just the motor problem and he is just wanting to get away from it.

Thank You Sponsors!