iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gafner Iron Mule 5510

Started by jd540b, March 30, 2011, 05:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Anyone know where I can get an owners manual for an Iron Mule forwarder, I just became the semi-reluctant (but extremely hopefull) owner of one.  Thanks.

Maineloggerkid

Have you had a chance to use it yet? Do u like it?  I almost bought one about a month ago, but stuck with my 540D instead.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

jd540b

Haven't used it yet.  Need to get it trucked home and put a center pin in it.  Looks pretty good, though.  It will be a learning curve.  We have two skidders and a shear to work with it so it will add a good element-having a loader on the job it key.

quietrangr

Try Roland Equipment in Escanaba, MI for the owner's manual. If you're new to center pinning an Iron Mule, it's not too bad if the pin is not mangled. You might just need bearings. The vertical bearings go out first. I replace mine every two years, before they go bad. I've had to beat the pins upward with a sledge, then hook on a chain, attach it to the loader, and put full pressure up while beating the head of the pin with a sledge. If you have to do that, you'll probably need at least a new set of threads, and maybe a whole new pin if the bearing has come apart and mangled the pin too badly. If the pin's OK, it's not a bad job. I put logs under rear of front half, and front and rear of back half, then slowly drive the front end away from the rear end until it just clears the pin hole. The bearings then come out with a long driving tool, or combination of driving and pry bar. I use a heavy come along to bring the machine back together. Use the blade to adjust height of front half of machine. Obviously, you need to remove the drive shaft. Also check the horizontal pin bearings. I use a pry bar to see how much up and down play is in it. Make sure the pin nut is tight; a loose one will cause up and down play and make you think you have bad horizontal pin bearings.

Thank You Sponsors!