iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2003 woodmizer 40 super kubota alternator

Started by spencerhenry, March 29, 2011, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhenry

smoke was rolling out of my alternator today, think it probably needs to be replaced or rebuilt. woodmizer wants $200 for one, plus shipping, plus tax. there are a ton of alternators on ebay, but i dont have any numbers off this one. woodmizer says it is a 140 amp. anybody got a part number or other info so i can replace it a little cheaper?

glad i hooked up the little alternator on the front of the motor, saved the day. i had a half dozen logs that i had to get milled for a guy before tomorrow. the little alternator cant keep up with the hydraulics if you run them for more than a few seconds, but ran everything else. if i ran the hydraulics too long, the setworks computer would show an error for the voltage, but after a few seconds it would go away.

bandmiller2

Spence,find a local shop that rebuilds alt. and starters chances are they will know brand and model.Get a rebuild estimate from that shop if its anywhere near the new price order new from  WM. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bushhog920

if it will fit, all my tractors and equipment get a GM 2 wire alt. get them from a junk yard out of most gm cars.will have 3 terminals batt, b1, and b2. have to fab up brackets and wire the batt to battery, then a stort jumper from batt to b2 terminal. well worth the conversion, if it ever go bad a reman at the parts house is about $50.

spencerhenry

no thanks on re-engineering the bracketry, i also doubt that a napa is going to have a 140 amp alternator for $50.
it is not an off the wall alternator, i just dont have a part number. and there is NO alternator rebuilder less than 2 hours drive.

i needed an alternator for my skidsteer a couple years ago. the auto electric shop (no longer here) said it would cost around $250 to rebuild and he had to order parts, dealer wanted over $400, found a new take off on ebay for $130 shipped. that was not a rebuild, but a factory new one.

captain_crunch

Kinda got a feeling you may be stuck 140 is lots bigger than automotive type Think even the ones on police cars were only 100 anps and they were huge
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

The alternator is really the workhorse of the mill.  It carries a load of responsibility.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2011, 01:41:35 PM
The alternator is really the workhorse of the mill.  It carries a load of responsibility.

And speaking as a former electrician, if the alternator will not carry the load you probably need a bigger alternator.  ;D

Herb

jdtuttle

I have this marked on my computer from woodmizer trouble shooting articles. This one is alternators & batteries. http://www.woodmizer.com/us/portals/1/docs/743d8322-c451-4676-8e08-89c0c8e77ef1.pdf
Hope it helps,
Jim
Have a great day

sparks

10480381 should be the alternator number.

The alternator relies on a good correct application battery. Not based off of cranking amps but construction. You can get a 1200 amp car battery but it will not hold up like the 1200 amp deka battery or its equivalent. Weak or wrong application batteries cause the alternator to work harder.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

spencerhenry

sounds like maybe i need a new battery too. i replace the original a couple years ago, but i do run the hydaulics alot. with really big logs i turn every couple of cuts. last winter i had one of the levers stick so that the pump would run until i moved the sawhead forward off the power track. then the little lever switch that turns on the pump started sticking. i replaced the switch, and readjusted all the actuators, but one of them sticks still. i try not to use it, but sometimes i have to raise the front toe-board. yesterday the alternator had smoke rolling out of it, i could still mill because i hooked up the little one on the front of the motor. so i dont really know if the big one works or not. can i be causing a problem by having both alternators running at the same time?
my mill has had electrical problems from day one, went through 3 setworks panels, 2 switches that turn the pumps on, 2 of the big flat metal fuses, 2 batteries. occasionally the setworks still does weird stuff. yesterday i set the head to 10 inches for what i wanted left, then hit the auto up. it was set for 7/8" on the bump up, but would only do 5/8", i tried it several times and got the same results. got the project done, now it is time to work on it.

Thank You Sponsors!