iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ashtrol

Started by talldog, March 29, 2011, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talldog

Does everybody use Ashtrol?A container came with my E-2300.I've almost used it up.What does it do?How often do you guys put some in?My compliments to everyone here for being so knowledgeable.Especially the Doctor and Dean.I've learned a lot from you guys.Thanks

doctorb

Talldog-  welcome to the Forum!

There has been some mention of it sporatically on the FF.  I would use the search function at the top of the page to get all previous comments on the subject.

I have never used it.  Some think its just expensive lime.  I don't know if it helps or not.  I think a really hot fire takes care of any creosote problems pretty well.  Await others experience.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

tonto

I use it, a jug lasts me about a month - month and a half. I think it works best in the summer months because we don't get a hot fire but only about every three days. I agree with Doc that a hot fire definitely takes care of most of the creosote. I have always wanted to try masons lime to see it it does the same thing and it only costs about $12 for a 50lb bag. Also interested to see what others have found. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Dean186

Talldog,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.

From the Central Boiler manual we have the following information on Ashtrol.

"Ashtrol is a pH modifier that helps to neutralize acids that may form in the firebox."

I have never read anything from the stove manufactures where it helps with creosote build up.   I believe its only purpose is to neutralize acids, which will help with corrosion.   This is just my opinion, I don't really know and I am just blinding using the Ashtrol in hopes that it helps.  I can't tell if it helps or not.

I have just finished my first jug after 2 years of use.   I most likely will buy a bag of lime to use next season.

superwd6

$13,000 dollars for the stove, think I'll use it. I use 2 jugs per year & keep records of water quality. Does it work ? Don't know about the ashtrol but was amazed @ water with no rust inside of the black nipples used on my pool heat exchanger last season ;D

Gary_C

Quote from: superwd6 on March 31, 2011, 04:53:24 PM
$13,000 dollars for the stove, think I'll use it. I use 2 jugs per year & keep records of water quality. Does it work ? Don't know about the ashtrol but was amazed @ water with no rust inside of the black nipples used on my pool heat exchanger last season ;D

That almost implies you are using ashtrol on the water side. I sure hope not.  :)

As Dean186 related, ashtrol is a pH modifier and it will only modify the acidity of the ashes in the firebox. Does not do anything about creosote or tar formation.

I am sure that Central Boiler will not divulge what's in it, but there are many pH modifiers used in fireboxes and all will work. There is nothing magic about any formulation and you can use any of them with good results. Soda ash, sodium hydroxide, sodium silicate, sodium phosphates, and lime are some that will give good results.

lime

a. Calcium oxide, CaO; specif. quicklime and hydraulic lime. The term is
used loosely for calcium hydroxide (as in hydrated lime) and incorrectly
for calcium carbonate (as in agricultural lime). AGI
b. A cubic mineral, CaO. AGI
c. A term commonly misused for calcium in such deplorable expressions as
carbonate of lime or lime feldspar. AGI
d. A limestone. The term is sometimes used by drillers for any rock
consisting predominantly of calcium carbonate. AGI

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!