iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how-fast-can-you-gut-and-skin-deer?

Started by Raider Bill, March 29, 2011, 01:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

jdtuttle

Have a great day

moosehunter

Who takes a deer to the butcher with the guts still in it?
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

He must have been using one of those Piranta or Havlon knives with the replaceable razor sharp blades.  He was too fast for me to get a good look.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: moosehunter on March 29, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
someone who wants to get on the internet.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

semologger

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 29, 2011, 04:15:40 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on March 29, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
someone who wants to get on the internet.
One that drank way to many beers the night before the hunt.  ;)

Chuck White

I can tell you that skinning a deer while it is still warm makes a world of difference!

Skinning time will be cut by at least 3/4!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gary

I know a lot of people that hunt on thier own land that don't gut the deer until it is in the barn. They say it makes skinning easier.

Magicman

I very seldom ever gut a deer anymore.  I don't use a saw either.  The lower legs are removed from the upper quarters using only a knife.  The four quarters, backstraps, and inside tenderloins can be easily removed from either a hanging deer, or one that is skinned and quartered on the ground using the "gutless" method.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

MM

QuoteI very seldom ever gut a deer anymore.

I have to ask.  You don't gut the deer? That is the "gutless" method?

What are the "upper" quarters? They the front legs?

Without gutting, how do you get the tenderloins (inside tenderloins) easily removed?

How do you keep the guts from falling out, with all these parts removed?  ??? ???

You've peaked my curiosity.    :)   And then maybe it is just too late at night for me. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

You can speed the skinning up with a air compressor.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on March 30, 2011, 12:07:38 AM
I have to ask.  You don't gut the deer? That is the "gutless" method? 

I devised this in 1984, while on the Magicwoman's Antelope hunt in Wyoming.  There was nothing to hang the animal on, so I skinned out the top side and removed the two quarters and backstrap.  I checked and sure enough, the top tenderloin was reachable just behind the ribs.  Just push the guts down, slide the knife along the inside of the backbone, and out it came.  I now rolled the animal over and completed the other side.  Two quarters, backstrap, and tenderloin.  All that was left was a skeleton and ribcage full of guts.

Since then, I have found that Elk hunters have been doing the gutless method, by necessity, for years.  I've used it on a few elk myself.  They are just too large and heavy to do anything else.  A couple of years ago I said heck, why not on deer?  Sure 'nuff, no more gutting deer.

Quote from: beenthere on March 30, 2011, 12:07:38 AM
What are the "upper" quarters? They the front legs?

I was talking about removing the lower part of the leg quarters, below the "elbows and knees" without a saw.  Just skin it and cut all of the way around the lower part of the joint cutting the tendons, etc. with your knife.  The lower legs will then easily snap off.  No saw necessary.

papow22

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 29, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
I wonder if this guy ever poached.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2011/02/how-fast-can-you-gut-and-skin-deer
I imagine the STRONG taste in the deer meat.Beside the size of of that BAMBI like that up here in Alberta Canada would make you the laughing stock of Alberta :D ;D,Sure that was fast,But what about the taste?I also seen no one mention anything about the SCENT Glands   :o That meat would be yuck,My dogs would walk away  :D
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

WildDog

Papow22 you have my curiosity, where are the scent glands, I get a deer every few weeks (Fallow) for the freezer and only use Magicmans no gut method, comeing away with full backstraps, shoulders and hindlegs, am I likely to get these glands.

We just got back from checking a calving cow and there was 3 young does and a spiker in with the cows :)

Out of interest when you guys do gut a deer do you split the brisket on the ground or while hung up? when I do a goat or sheep I do the brisket on the ground before hanging it up but I've seen others do it the opposite.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

doctorb

Magic-

To me, the "quarters" are the shoulders and the hip joints.  When a human has a "fore quarter" amputation, they not only lose the arm, but the scapula (shoulder blade) and shoulder musculature too.  The hips are the hind quarters.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Yup, I agree.

How about an update on your "hindquarters"??

beenthere

WildDog

The scent glands are at the rear leg hock, and were removed with the hide when the video butcher skinned the hind legs. He missed cutting through them with his knife (and didn't touch them with his gloved hand) so should have had no effect on the scent staying with the knife blade to taint any meat.
Otherwise, I can see no effect from the skinning method used to causing any STRONG taste to the meat.

Over the 50 years I've hunted and dressed/cooked/eaten venison, the many old wive's tales that used to abound on STRONG tasting venison had only to do with diet, age, clean visceration, and most important - separating away the fat and bones from the lean meat during butchering, packaging, and cooking.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I'm a lot slower then that on skinning a deer, but I have a different method to avoid any hair contamination. I hang em by the neck. As like Magicman mentioned, we never use a saw. You can remove the legs at the knees with a knife and a twist.The only cuts I make is around the neck, brushing away any hair, then up the brisket to the neck cut. I pull the hide off the legs like socks. Even the tail will skin.  We always skin as soon as possible after a kill.  Never ever had any problem with scent glands or contaminated meat.  We can usually skin and quarter a deer in less than 15 minutes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

treefarmer87

i have tied a rope and pulled off the skin with a atv, i have seen it done with a truck too. :)

like this
http://youtu.be/nneTTeoPDYU
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

beenthere

I've done the rope trick too, but by the time the neck cutting, the leg cutting, and the stone/ball is rolled up behind the loose neck skin and tied with the rope, then prepped with the pulling vehicle hooked up....

skinning by hand would have already been done long before.
Just wasn't a faster method for me, but may have been easier with less labor. Some good laughs too.

But throw in the time that the hanging rope breaks or the limb breaks, picking up the dirty half-skinned carcass from the ground just makes for frustration. :)
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

We tried that a few times and once the rope broke.  That was the dirtiest and most grass and leaf encrusted mess that we had ever seen.   :D :D

Bill

Up till now our group has always done it the old fashioned way - hung up in the garage  ( w/plastic on the floor ) .

Guessin I'll study up on this new fangled ( to me ) gutless way - esp since as one of the younger ( ? ) folks I tend to help out a bit more .

:)

WildDog

QuoteThe scent glands are at the rear leg hock,
Thanks Beenthere,

My son came back to the farm today to start a new fence, he eats a lot so I got a heap of deer meat out of the freezer. I think I found the scent glands in the steaks I had cut from the hind leg, (see pic on knife blade and in the fat to the left of knife)
I never new what they were and usually cut them out of my goat legs, where the escutcheon starts. Never know what you will learn off the FF :)

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

You can tell where they're at on our whitetail deer by a tuft of hair. I just use the meat saw and cut off the leg above it.

Happy Birthday WildDog!

Thank You Sponsors!