iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut question

Started by 123maxbars, March 28, 2011, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Hello new to the forum and hope to get my first sawmill this summer if finances are good, I have a walnut tree in my back yard that I recently dropped, two days ago. I want to save the tree for my sawmill when I get it this summer. My question is how long can I store the log  before I mill it? Also i assume it needs to be stored off the ground, but does it need to be covered from weather? thanks for any suggestions,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

terrifictimbersllc

Get the freshly trimmed ends heavily coated with Anchorseal and keep it on the ground.  Walnut lasts a long time and in my opinion drying out is the worst danger, simply because of cracking. Even so it is pretty resilient to that anyway.   Wet walnut might lose some of the sapwood to certain insects but they don't go for the heartwood.  I've cut walnut that was half buried in the ground for and covered with vegetation which was quite beautiful even after 3-4 years.  Somewhere I read once that burying walnut logs in a barnyard for years gives great color.   Shouldn't be any problem sawing those logs this summer. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Left Coast Chris

Since it will warm up pretty soon you should also keep the logs out of the sun.  If you have no anchor seal you can use latex paint but give it several coats on the ends.  Another thought is find someone with a sawmill and see if they will teach you how to saw it on thier mill.   It is good to get the air drying of the boards going before the heat hits also.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

First, Welcome 123maxbars, to the Forestry Forum.  Good luck with your upcoming sawmill purchase.

Get the logs off of the ground.  Sealing the ends will help also, but I wouldn't worry about the rain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!