iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone here replace Kubota front axle Seals?

Started by shinnlinger, March 28, 2011, 10:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

HI,

Out at the barn this weekend and noticed a fair bit of fluid draining from the bottom of one of my front axle portals. A quick inspection confirmed the bottom cap had popped off much like a freeze plug and that the other side was popped as well, but no fluid telling me I missed that one and have probably run the tractor for a period of time (3hrs maybe over 3 months) with no fluid in that side of the axle.

There has been weeping from the top pivot seals for some time but it didn't seem that severe and I tried to keep an eye on the fluid but again, must have missed the first pop. My suspicion was that over time enough water got in the axle thru the leaky top seal and condensation that it froze and popped the cap off.

Having seen similar axle seal replacements on the web they don't seem that difficult, so I asked my father to stop by the dealer and get a parts schematic, since he was going by. He went one further and talked to a tech who in addition to confirming the ease of replacing the bottom caps, also said it happened all the time, but instead of freezing water, thought it was due to the changes in temperature as the castings expand and contract and recommended just replacing the bottom caps and to top up with 80 wght gear oil, not the hydro fluid Kubota recomends

I'm pretty sure the ball bearings are probably fine despite the lack of lubricant, should I follow the tech's advice and just press on new caps and refill. My gut tells me this really will be fine but before the techs report, I had intended to disassemble the portals's and replace the upper seals as well and inspect the bearings.

Would you use silicone on the bottom cap seals? Would you use 80 wgt vs hytran?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

moosehunter

Dave,
I have had one side off the front of my L4330. It was pretty easy. It might be a good idea to pop it apart to check for bearing damage. When you put the cap in use Red Lock-tite, that will help seal it and hold it in.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

slowzuki

Replaced all the bearings and seals in one side of my L5030, wasn't bad, but needed better / bigger snap ring pliers to finish the job.  There are good instructions on Tractorbynet.

Thank You Sponsors!