iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to purchase LT-15 or Timberking 1220

Started by maineframer, March 28, 2011, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineframer

Well I am asking the age-old question----AGAIN. Four post or cantilever which is better.
Conventional wisdom tells me that four posts are more accurate.
I am sawing for quality not quantity---I need dead square and accurate beams.

We will be sawing some logs and re-sizing cants.

My goal is to be able to saw 27 feet plus.

Should I go RED or Orange?
David

WDH

You should be good either way as they are both proven mills.  It will come down to personal preference and customer support.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Your question does not compute. An LT15 is not of cantilever design.  Dead square and accurate has much more to do with the sawyer
s abilities and the logs.   These are both sawmills designed to cut rough sawn lumber
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

The backstops (adjusted square) and good clamping will determine how square your cant end up. Check those 2 things out.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Quote from: maineframer on March 28, 2011, 06:44:23 PM
Well I am asking the age-old question----AGAIN. Four post or cantilever which is better.
Conventional wisdom tells me that four posts are more accurate.
I am sawing for quality not quantity---I need dead square and accurate beams.

We will be sawing some logs and re-sizing cants.

My goal is to be able to saw 27 feet plus.

Should I go RED or Orange?

Either cantilever or four post will saw dead accurate. You are spooked by something that doesn't even exist. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Maineframer,
I went through this same issue before buying the LT15.  I did a crazy amount of research on it and emailed both companies about they're design.  It really doesn't matter.  I know what your thinking in your head because I was thinking the same thing, that there is no way this cantilever design that WM uses can be as square as a 4 post fixed design!  Well there is a way, I saw square timbers all the time. 
I've never used a 1220 but that was the mill I was going to buy, then a friend wanted to go in on an LT15 so that is what we did.  I'm sure that if you put two large timbers side by side, cut from each mill, with the mill properly set up, you wouldn't be able to tell which one came off which mill. 

I'm not sure if they're is a difference in how often you have to align the WM vs. TK though? You might want to check on that, maybe the TK is more consistent over time?  Not sure but either way, I see no reason to buy a TK over a WM.  I also see no reason to buy a WM over a TK.  There is a WM dealer in Maine that you probably know of, I think in Chesterfield maybe???
I don't believe there is a TK in Maine but there very well may be.  If not, I would get the LT 15 solely based on that one fact.  Also I think you should get an LT 15 with a lot of extensions, so maybe I could borrow some if the need arises  :D

You can't go wrong with either.  Look through some of my old posts as well. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

I forgot one thing.  One reason that I am glad I have the WM is they're website.  I have a lot of spare time at work to check things out online, where a phone isn't too easy to use, and WM website is way ahead of TK's.  This isn't a good reason to go with one company over another, but I've noticed it has been helpful for my specific circumstance. 

I like the pic in your avatar, what size frame is that? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

maineframer

Thank you all for you reponses. I just want to make the correct choice.
Piston, the fact that Woodmizer is in Maine is a good point---one that I have been considering.
I know Ross Clair fairly well----he is a straight shooter.
I think I just need to try sawing with each model and that will make up my mind.
I am very familar with Wood mizer and not at all with the Timberking.
The three things I really like about the TK are  1. BIG cutting throat    2. Four post head support   3. throttle clutch.
How do you engage the blade on the LT 15? Is there a clutch?
Piston---the frame in my avatar is a 24x36 12' posted barn---all mortise & tenon joinery.
David

Piston

It is an autoclutch, so all you do is flip the lever you see in this pic (silver lever black knob) up and it will automatically rev up the engine to the correct RPM and simultaneously engage the clutch.  It's very simple, I haven't had to adjust anything yet although I don't have too many hours on it yet either. 

I'm not sure where you are in maine and I'm sure I am not very close, but if you can't see a demo at the dealer and can't find anyone else around to let you use the mill then you could certainly come use mine for a test. 
-Matt

ladylake

The bigger cutting throat would be the clincher for me, your going to run across big logs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

taylorsmissbeehaven

I bought an LT-15 March of last year and love it. I only have one extra bed extension but plan to add more. My cuts are very square and accurate (after a little practice) and minimal adjustments and fine tuning have been needed so long as I don't get too rough loading the logs. :-[ I have no experience with the TK I'm sure its great too but I wouldn't trade my WM for any other. Best of luck you can't go wrong with either one, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

fred in montana

I have been very happy with my LT15. I upgraded to the 25HP motor and am glad I did. More is definitely better when it comes to horsepower.

I have since added homemade claw turner, power backstops (2), power cant clamp, homemade bed extension.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

barbender

Woodmizer advertises the LT 15 as a "semi- cantilever",  the head hangs off of the operator side mast like their regular cantilever mills, the other leg stabilizes the head laterally. I think the lt28 head is quite similar to the lt15, but the mast is cantilevered too. Either way, they will saw square lumber and beams.
Too many irons in the fire

VT-Woodchuck

I've cut up a 32" white pine and a 30" cherry with my LT15. Do you really want to handle anything bigger? As stated above, the set-up and sawyer are the keys. I would lean towards WM  because the proximity of Ross.

ladylake

Lets keep in mind that there are quite a few good mills with good service are being built. If a mill is good it won't need a lot of service, and I'd think most companys offer good service when needed. I've went over 3 years without having to call my company which is the best servive . Some good companies I think are Woodmizer, Tk, Baker, Cooks, Logmaster, Peterson,  Lucas and some I can't think of.  Steve

thecfarm

Have you looked at a Thomas in Brooks,Maine? They have one that will cut BIG logs.It does not take a common blade that others brands use. I forgot how big of a log it will cut and this is with no fooling around with it either.Just put it on and cut.I thought about it. I always like to go bigger than what I need at the time I buy something. But turning a log that big really changed my mind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maineframer

I went to see and try a Timber King 1220 on Thursday morning. It was a great mill, very rugged and built to last.
The same afternoon my son and I went to Chesterville to look at the  Woodmizer LT-15 ----I am glad we brought the trailer.
We cut with the saw and decided it was the one. I bought the model with the 10 hp diesel engine with one extension to bring me to 24 feet. I am excited to set it up next week. I think this saw will be just what we need for a beam saw.
Thank you for all of your input and comments.
David

Piston

Congrats Maineframer  8) 8) 8)

I have the same mill as you including diesel.  It's a very capable mill and you will definitely not regret it!

Did you mean you bought 2 extra bed sections?  Or is it now coming standard with 3?  I bought one extra bed extension but the mill only came with 2, so now I have 3 total which gives me about 17' of useful cut. 

I know your not too close but if you need to borrow an extension for the once in a while long timber then shoot me a pm. 

Good purchase!
-Matt

Piston

Also wanted to mention that after about 10-15hrs of milling with mine, I had to retighten a couple bolts.  The drive pulley/whatever its called (attached to the shaft coming out of the engine had its bolts come lose and it vibrated closer to the end of the shaft, I had to put it back on and retighten the bolts, which was very simple to do after calling customer support.  Just something to watch for, I haven't had any other problems since. 
-Matt

Magicman

I really admire your game plan for deciding on a sawmill.  Ask direct and information seeking questions.  Learn from the answers.  Actually put your hands on the different alternatives and then make an informed decision.  Follow through.

Congratulation on getting your sawmill.  You can now spend your energy sawing instead of second guessing your sawmill buying decision.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hershey

i bought one of the first lt 15's over 10 years ago, back then suffolk machinery was telling everyone that the blade speed was wrong on woodmizers, i thought it was all a gimmick until i bought a mill w/ a different blade speed. i am assuming that issue has been addressed by now, but it does matter.

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on April 02, 2011, 08:57:18 AM
I really admire your game plan for deciding on a sawmill.  Ask direct and information seeking questions.  Learn from the answers.  Actually put your hands on the different alternatives and then make an informed decision.  Follow through.

Congratulation on getting your sawmill.  You can now spend your energy sawing instead of second guessing your sawmill buying decision.   ;)

So does that mean if he bought a TK 1220 he would be spending his energy second guessing????  We don't need slams on here.   Steve

red oaks lumber

steve,
idon't think that was m.m comments. i took it as he did his homework looked at all his options and made the decision based on what he thoughtr was best for his situtian.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ladylake

Nothing wrong with his decision, there is with mm last sentence.   Steve

terrifictimbersllc

MM couldn't have  mean that. He's not the slamming type.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Piston

He certainly meant that since he did his researched and tried out his options and went with the one he liked better, he can be confident he chose the right mill for him. 
It wasn't a slam on timberking or any other mills.    ;)
-Matt

thecfarm

I doubt MM meant anything bad.He's not the kind that thinks his stuff or his ideas are better than yours.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maineframer

Thank you. I do feel like I made an informed decision----I like both mills ---i just felt the Woodmizer would work best for our situation. I like the fact that service is local (only 1 hr. away.) I feel the set works on the woodmizer is more positive with 1/16th inch detents.
Piston, the mill now comes standard with three sections and I purchased a fourth.
Thank you for the bolt loosening heads up ---I will watch and listen for that.
I love my new mill. 8)
David

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on April 02, 2011, 10:38:26 AM
Quote from: Magicman on April 02, 2011, 08:57:18 AM

So does that mean if he bought a TK 1220 he would be spending his energy second guessing????  We don't need slams on here.   Steve

Steve, it does not mean anything other than what I said.  Your last statement was yours, not mine.  Adding words or other meanings to my statement was inappropriate and unwelcome.

I have never recommended a particular brand of sawmill nor have I ever "slammed" any particular brand.  Each sawmill owner needs to make his own choice regarding a sawmill purchase.  It's a big and sometimes expensive investment.  It is also usually a long term investment, and the sawmill owner needs to be comfortable with their own decision.

Congratulating a person for making such a decision is also a confidence builder for that buyer.  I admired maineframer's decision making process and told him so.  If he had made a TK decision, my response would have been exactly the same.  No one would like to think that they maybe made a bad decision, and certainly everyone likes to be recognized for making an informed and rationalized decision such as mainframer did.

I thank the other posters for not adding to or attempting to change the meaning of my statement.  I will stand on and be judged by my past record.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I did things backwards from a lot of folks. I did my research and decided which brand of mill I was going to buy, if I bought a mill. Then I agonized over which model go get, if I bought a mill. Then I couldn't decide if I should really buy one or not. Took me a year to make up my mind.

When I decided to buy there was a tremendous feeling of relief that the deciding was done. MM's last sentence describes exactly how I felt. It was nothing to do with what the decision actually was -- I was finally done deciding!
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

Both companies sell very good mills and both are long time much appreciated supporters of the forestry forum and I personally am tickled pink when a prospective sawmill buyer does his research here and chooses a mill from any one of the companies to the left. When they do, I know the forum did its duty to help those that come here looking for answers find the answer that works for them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Piston

I think a pic from maineframer with his new mill would be a good addition to get this thread back on track  ;)
-Matt

redbeard

Congrats on your sawmill venture, Now you can enjoy the rewards that all of our sawmills bring us. Welcome Maineframer.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!