iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FMC Tracked Skidder

Started by Bobus2003, March 28, 2011, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm trying to figure out how hard they are to work on.. I have to pull the tranny out of one in the next few weeks and well.. I honestly have no clue so just lookin for insight before i dive in

barbender

I've only seen pictures of the beasts- have fun ::) I think they are built and used out west, like Washington and British Columbia.
Too many irons in the fire

Coon

I don't really think they are all that hard to work on.... just expensive undercarriage parts.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

kiko

I think the transmission is a clark 2800.  Should be simple once the trans is out of the frame. Is the torque converter seperated from trans and connected with a drive shaft, or is the torqe converter housing bolted to trans? Either way there could be a flex plate between engine flywheel and torque convertor. If so these bolts must be removed one at a time by rolling the engine and removing one at a time through access hole. If it has a fiber gear simply unbolt torque converter housing and slide apart.

Bobus2003

How will i know about the flex plate or fiber gear? I have done many truck tranny's and a few JD skidder tranny';s but this is a totally new endeavor

oldseabee

If the converter is a C270 series and seperate from the tranmission mst likely a drive gear. If trans and converter are one unit, could go either way. There should be a plug in the front of the flywheel housing about 2" in diameter, some are a plastic or rubber plug. some are a steel plug with pipe threads or a plate with 2 or 4 3/8" bolts holding it in place, this gives you access to the bolts that go through the flywheel into threaded inserts in the flex plate. You have to remove the bolts one at a time, rotating the engine for access to each one.  If there is no plug, you may have to pull the starter and look  through that hole to see if there are bolts and thenundo them, no bolts then it will be a fiber gear. The only Clark transmission that I am familiar with that has a flex plate is the HR 18000 series.

captain_crunch

Get use to working on the Beast ;D ;D When they work have heard they will out log a D-7 cat where you can bring fairlead up to cab they get the weight up in center of machine and really move. The one I played with goes faster than I was able to think :o :o But as far as I know also extinct. Last one I saw had been converted to a go anywhere brush fire tanked with a 500 gal tank and pump. Guy i knew had 3 of them at one time but High Maintaince
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

simplicityguy92

are fmc and kmc owned by the same company they look very similar

Coon

Yes they are the same company  KOOTRAC/Kootenay Tractor and they are still being built/refurbished from what I recall.  They are out of Crescent Valley, BC.  The newer ones are all badged KMC and are very high maintenance and expensive machines.  I checked them out a few years ago and even went to see a couple being worked in BC the last time I was there.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

kiko

A parts book for this machine would be the best way to tell fiber gear or flex plate. If it is a cummins engine the access for flex plate bolts will be located on flywheel housing right behind blow-by pipe. Two bolts hold plate on. Flex plate bolts go through flywheel and thread in flex plate itself. If it is a flex plate these bolts will be visable (might require engine rotation)I was on a roll and may have repeated something already said. I have worked on one of these machines 15 to 20 years ago, so my perception may be foggy.

simplicityguy92

yup kmc's shop is 45 min  over a pass from me

treefarmer87

i have seen a bunch of them for sale for parts, alot of them were burnt up. here is a good vid of a one.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZsW7pRq38MQ
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Heres the Beast waitin for the transport:

Ironwood

I saw one several years ago at the sale in Central Ohio. Impressive but scary$$ if something goes wrong

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Quote from: treefarmer87 on March 31, 2011, 09:45:38 PM
Detriot powered?

I believe So, Most FMC's were if i'm thinking correctly.. I Haven't had the engine covers off yet and prolly won't till next week

simplicityguy92

there a nice skidder i wouldnt mind havein one

Ironwood

looks like the cat's meow for soft ground, but that wet would probably create other permitting issues for impacts and such. But WOW cool vidoes in the slop.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

arojay

Everything that those guys build looks like an old FMC streetsweeper mounted on something else!
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

grassfed

Sounds like a 6v53 just like my truck.

Mike

treefarmer87

it would be good for swamp loggin, they make a swing boom grapple version also :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Has a 6v53 Detroit i here.. she screams!!

Thank You Sponsors!