iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

paring against the grain

Started by Alexis, March 27, 2011, 09:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

Hi, I don't know if it's just me, but I try to do it the less I can. I find that when pairing against the grain, sometime a big "string" of wood fiber comes off and can often go deeper than you wished.

Seems that the less I pare against, and the more I pare with the grain, the better and easier to cut are my joint.

Alexis

canopy

If you are lifting chunks when going against the grain then sharpen your chisel. If that isn't helping then pare shallower. In my experience a sharp chisel should be able to make very clean shavings perpendicular to the grain. I actually have the opposite problem. If going with the grain sometimes the grain dives down and prying up a chunk can happen. That's an indication to me to either go the opposite direction or perpendicular to the grain in that area. But I always use a very sharp chisel with a final polishing with a 3 micron stone. Sharpening is an art in itself.

tyb525

I think Alexis's "against the grain" is your "with the grain".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!