iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processor hydraulic pump

Started by EricR, March 26, 2011, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I am looking to build a small firewood processor.  I have some questions about the hydraulic pump.  the small processors, say with a 16 to 20 hp engine say they have lets say a 22 gpm pump.( This was the hudson badger)  I  assume these are 2 stage pumps.  seeing thats a lot of pump for a 16 horse motor if it were a single stage.  so does that mean on these small processors you can only do one function at a time.  I am looking to build something with a auto cycle valve for the splitter and be advancing my log and clamping it  while it is cycling.  I will be using a gas powered saw for cutting so i dont need a pump for that.  anyway, i guess my question is is there such a thing as a 2 section pump in which one of the sections is a 2 stage and the other a 5-10gpm single stage pump. 

Warren

Eric,

I do not recall seeing any multisection two stage pumps while I was collecting parts to build a FW processor. However, two forum members GF, and BlackFootGriz, have both built pretty nice processors in the recent past with engines in the 20-24hp range.  You might want to do a search on the forum for recent firewood processor threads and read those.  They can probably answer some of your questions...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

bushmechanic

I'm not sure about a two stage pump and another pump but I do know that you can get say a tandem pumps,I mean that there is probally two 10 gpm pumps joined internally and they will most generally go to two seperate control valves.We had a C5D Tree Farmer forwarder with that system-one pump fed the steering valve and the other fed the boom control valve.Also do you think it's a good idea to have a chainsaw for a cut off?I think that if you don't put some kind of throttle on the saw it will overspeed and bye bye saw.There are calculaters for hydraulics just google it.Good luck :P

oldseabee

Years ago Clark used a two stage pump on the main hydraulics. I know that they would be too big for your project, but the pump was made by Tyrone and would run both stages until what ever pressure you set then one stage would drop out and dump back to tank. Tyrone may make a smaller version. They also made a steer pump that would drop one section by RPM for good flow at low RPM but would cut back on the flow so the steering wouldn't be jerky at high RPM

Thank You Sponsors!