iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yard tree

Started by smwwoody, August 27, 2011, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

One thing about being in the north, is that a large tree is always old. I cut a 20 inch dbh white ash one time with 22-25 rings to the inch, so 220-250 years old, forest grown. Some old white pines on grandfather's place are probably over 300 years old, they were never properly aged, but survived two forest fires in the last century. Charcoal still on some that burnt a little into the heart, at least 130 feet tall and well above the average canopy height of the forest, 4-5 feet through the but maybe even 6.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 04, 2011, 02:44:00 AM
One thing about being in the north, is that a large tree is always old. I cut a 20 inch dbh white ash one time with 22-25 rings to the inch, so 220-250 years old,...

those oldest trees in world (known oldest) are not all that big in wind blown areas of California for diameter they are really only bushes when looked at next to that popular that came down...

mark

edit in I think those are in the 3500+ years old range Bristle cone pines & sequoias what a difference in form ;).   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_longaeva  and oldest living one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_%28tree%29 at 4842 years young. 

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

There has been a few red spruce aged up in the NE here and some are over 400 years old, almost 500 actually, and no where near 20 inches. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I cut a few hickory saplings in the shadow of my BIG red oaks in my forest, the hickory was 4-5" and 50-60 years. Neat.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ironwood

Photo's 3 and five are awsome.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Ron Scott

Very trustworthy that there were no widow makers above. ;)
~Ron

OneWithWood

Pretty awesome tree!

Do you always cut without personal protection equipment?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

clww

That one made a thump when it hit the ground, didn't it?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

smwwoody

Ron And One with wood

You guys caught me at one of my very bad habits.  When I am in the woods I would not even think of working without all of my PPE. 

when I cut a yard tree every now and then I never even think about putting it on.  This has to stop now.  I just changed my estimate templates to read on the bottom "PPE SAVES LIVES".  Maybe this will help remind me.

Thanks for the reminder

Woody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

WDH

That definitely exceeds my capabilities!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Here was my wake up call...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

customdave

Ouchhhh! , Tim now you have to tell the story....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

beenthere

Tim
Hope that isn't a fresh one there. Seems you had one somewhat similar a while back der.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

We need to give yard trees as much or more respect as the wildland trees. More injuries/deaths seem to be caused by risks taken with yard trees.
~Ron

WH_Conley

Here is another one. Don't have any idea the man's level of experience. I would guess homeowner.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man_Trapped_Under_Tree_129263968.html
Bill

mad murdock

Quote from: Ironwood on September 04, 2011, 06:36:22 PM
I cut a few hickory saplings in the shadow of my BIG red oaks in my forest, the hickory was 4-5" and 50-60 years. Neat.

Ironwood
Man, that would make a NICE baseball bat!  woudl be one strong hickory stick!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Banjo picker

It was the same lick...I have not cut a single tree without a hard hat on since...Promised the wife, and have kept it....For those that didn't get the story first time...a condensed version is I cut a gum to finish a load of pulp wood , and didn't notice the grape vine wound around a smallish cherry....that was close by...as the gum is going down it pulls the cherry which eventually breaks and blind sided me...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

metalspinner

smwwoody,

What are the plans for that poplar?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

smwwoody

Still looking for someone with a swing blade to break it down. If not I will quarter it with a chain saw and bring it back to our mill
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!