iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live oak

Started by darrenjttu, March 25, 2011, 06:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenjttu

About to cut down a live oak tree.  How is when milling. How is it when drying? What thickness should I cut it if I want 3/4 inch thick after drying?

Tom

It's tough to saw.  Saw it right off of the stump.   It checks quickly and deeply. Seal the ends good and keep the surfaces out of the direct sun (then pray a lot).   Exept for the really crooked trees, it is fairly stable.  It will tear a shop planer up when it is dry, so don't over-size it too much.  Even if it doesn't cup too bad, you will still be dealing with fairly deep checking.  Still keep the thickness for 3/4 finished boards to 4/4 or an inch and an eighth.  You will need that much.

It is heavy stuff.  Make a table and your wife won't move it around much.

darrenjttu

Easier or worse than pecan? That stuff was horrible to deal with. Well no sawyers in this area will touch it I found out. It dulls thier blades they say. Ill just do it with my 19" bandsaw and pray.

Tom

Both are difficult to saw, but Live Oak is more dense.

LeeB

I found it to be much tougher than pecan. A real nightmare on blades. If it is dead from oak wilt, be careful of the dust. It can spread the disease.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Papa1stuff

Sure makes some pretty boards ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

brdmkr

I sawed a live oak log several years ago.  It was fresh off the stump and I thought it cut easily on the Lucas.  BUT, it cupped, checked, twisted, warped and wiggled so much while drying that it is tough to get more that a couple of feet that is straight once planed to 3/4.  The grain is beautiful.  It is HARD on tools.  I have said that if I planed any more, I would borrow some else's planer :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

caveman

You may end up with some beautiful boards.  Jmoore, forum member, built a dining room table for my mother several years ago out of boards from some live oak that was salvaged after the four hurricanes we had in 2004.  It tended to chip and tear when jointing and planing unless the blades were very sharp.  A spiral head planer or a drum sander may have done a better job on these boards due to their highly figured grain.  4/4 would be the minimum thickness I would saw if I wanted to end up with 3/4" finished boards.  By the way, the table he built is incredible.
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

I would love to see some pictures of it after you finish sawing.  I have never sawed Live Oak.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I have heard all the war stories on sawing live oak and the first time I cut it I was nervous so I had a bunch of different blades and profiles. The customer was standing there watching so that didn't help the nerves any. The customer had some live oak cut before by another sawyer and said it had lots of waves in the cuts so the custom started out wanting the lumber cut a little thick to off set for the waves. With in two cuts and no waves the customer said that we could start taking the cuts to the regular dimensions. A long story short is this live oak had been on the ground for over a year and I figured it would be extra difficult to cut but I had no problems at all. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Papa1stuff

Here are a few pictures of Live Oak ,and it is hard to cut ,have to take it a little slower!!

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

darrenjttu

My live oak looks nothing like yours. I have never seen it that dark before. I will get some pics up tomarrow.

Thank You Sponsors!