iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pinecones wanted

Started by woodtroll, March 24, 2011, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

We would like to set up a display for kids with many different pine cones.
I can come up with tons of cones... but they are all ponderosa.
If you would be willing to collect some of your local cones and send them to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
And yes I would take fir and spruce cones also. Larch too.
Please id them, save me some guess work.
Email me for the address
Thanks

SwampDonkey

Would be tough getting a balsam cone, they ripen and the wind blows and the cone and seed is like confetti on the wind. Spruce, larch and pine wouldn't be difficult to get except for snow in places under the spruces. ;D

Too bad a fella couldn't send a yellow birch catkin, they look like a spruce cone. Be good to trip someone up. ;D

How about white cedar cones?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Any worry about shipping diseases with the cones?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Certainly may be a concern there. Personally, I was not offering to ship anything. ;)  With that being said, universities ship material across the continent, green.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodtroll

I am not to worried about disease. The cones will not be anymore of a risk then me taking a trip and bringing back a bag of cones. Or a gypsy moth on my grill, or ash borer, maybe something will infect our pine bark beetles.
I am not wanting seed, just the cones.

Catkins are a great idea.
Thanks

thecfarm

I've got some white pines cones.Nothing pretty like others.Went down to the horse run in to make sure they were still there.Have a trash bag full.Wife was going to to something with them.The cones are nice and dry.Will have some hemlock too,whenever they come out.Still have snow on the ground here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodtroll

That would be great.
We are hoping to mount some and have some for the kids to handle.
This will be an on going project as the cones develop.
Thank you

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

What is the timing?  I am planning a trip to the North Georgia mountains where I can get some pitch pine and some table mountain pine, but that is a little over a month away.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

It will be on going. As pine cones come in I will incorporate them.
Currently I have Ponderosa pine, two different spruces and doug fir.
As we travel around we will be picking up more, especially depending on the quality and availability.
Just don't forget when you see a good specimen.

Mooseherder

If you would like these Slash Pine Cones from South Florida let me know.
PM me your address and they'll be on their way. :)

woodtroll

Hey! The pony express came in with a box.
thanks thecfarm
The white pine cones came in and they look good.

woodtroll

Another box got dropped on my desk.
Thank You Mooseherder.
The slash pine cones are similar to our p pines, but thicker or more stout. :)

Mooseherder

We don't grow wimpy Pine Cones here in Florida. :D

WDH

Wait till he gets some longleaf  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

send some sugar pine cones from out northern CA. ;)  along whit some Sequoia  which are rather un-impressive compared to others...   I have addy, but the white pine cones have all but gone bad at my place.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

Woodtroll,

Can you publish a list of the cones that you have?  I got some for you this weekend that are not too common, table mountain pine and pitch pine.  I would like to know what you have and what you don't have so I can do some collecting for you.

woodtroll

Sure, it is not real big yet. Most ever one had snow when we came up with the idea.
E.white Pine
Ponderosa Pine
Englemann Spruce
Norway Spruce (1)
White Spruce
Mugo Pine (2)
Slash Pine
Sugar Pine (1)
Doug fir

Thanks I look forward to seeing them. Show these kids there are more then one kind of pine tree.

WDH

Good.  I should be able to get you longleaf, shortleaf, loblolly, spruce, and sand pine as well.  Let me get my boots on!

woodtroll

Hey all,
Just a reminder I am still wanting pinecones.
We have doug fir, ponderousa pine, e.white pine, limber pine, S Y P, lodgepole and white spruce, one sugar pine and one redwood.

It looks like this might turn into the kids 4h project.

Again
Thanks

SwampDonkey

WDH

I have been recalcitrant in sending pine cones.  You say that you have SYP, but what species?  I gathered up some Table Mountain pine, some Pitch pine, and some Virginia pine to send you.

SwampDonkey

Looks like red pine, red spruce, black spruce and balsam fir are also lacking. The fir however will fall apart when it dries. ;)

thecfarm

I've been watching a cedar tree for a while. It really has alot of cones on it. I will send some to you when they are ready.Still green for now.

woodtroll

The SYP that I have is Slash Pine. Which the cones are almost identical to our Ponderosa.

Thank You Sponsors!