iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E2300 problem

Started by firechief, March 22, 2011, 06:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firechief

Hey all,

Came home after work today and found son wrapped up in a blanket on the couch , and according to him it was freezing in the house. The temperature is normally set to 70 and the thermostat was reading 66 so I knew I had a problem.  Nothing but cold air was coming out of the registers.  Went out to the 2300 and found that the taco pump was no longer running, VERY hot and smelled of electrical burning.  So I assumed this was the problem and would go to my dealer in the morning and replace it. Luckily it was in the 50's here today.
  Took the taco pump off, let it cool a bit and plugged it in to see what would happen.  Well it seemed to be working fine after plugging in !  Not really sure how these things work.  Does this sound normal ?  Am I missing something here ?  Is the taco pump my problem ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is my second winter with this unit and so far this is the only issue I've had.  I've read alot about the e2300 here on this site and have learned quite a bit from all of you.  Thanks again in advance.

Firechief

ronwood

Firechief,

Maybe a silly question but do you have water running through the pump.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

firechief

Yep have plenty of water.

firechief

Anyway, replaced entire Taco pump and unit is working fine now. 8)

ronwood

Firechief,

How old was your pump? I been running mine for 6 years without any issue but I have a sawmill customer that is having issues with his Taco pumps. Replacing it a least once a year. Will hard water effect the pump? The customer has hard water and my system I am using water that ran through the water softener.

Ron

firechief

This is my second year with my E2300 and the Taco pump so it probably would have been the 2009-2010 model.  Like I said earlier after I took it out and plugged it in, it seemed to work but when I tried it this morning nothing.  I do have a water softener but not sure if that is an issue or not.  I probably would have shopped around online a bit if I would have had more time but my dealer had some on his shelf so he got me for $180.00 for the pump.  My Lowes does not carry this particular model number.  Anyone else find a Taco 009-F5 online or elsewhere ?
I plan on looking around and buying a backup now but not looking forward to shelling out $180.00 every year or every other year for that matter.

superwd6

Unscrew the four bolts that hold the motor to the impeller & see if the inner cartige is stuck(the small impeller should turn freely). You can replace just the cartige on Taco , check out EBay.

firechief

Thanks superwd6

My dealer did tell me that and wanted $80 to replace the cartridge, so I may take it apart tomorrow and check that.  If that is the issue I  may get a cartridge for the faulty motor, but being that I smelled that "electrical" burning smell I'm not so sure that pump is good anymore.  Not real thrilled that it didn't make it even two seasons.

trapper

$80 is what I paid for a replacement cartridge at the local menards store so I think your dealer is in line for price
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Snowbear

If this is your 2nd year with the 2300 your Taco pump should still be under warrantee.  It has a 3 year warrantee.  CB just sent a new 009 to a customer of mine that had 2 months left before it was 3 years old.

firechief

My dealer said it was a 1 year warranty, I better look into that.  Thanks for the information.  Like I said I would have thought it would have lasted longer than this.

firechief

Taco website says 1 year warranty.  3 year warranty on 00 or 2400 series.

doctorb

I have posted previously on a conversation I had with CB a while back.  They made a verbal rec. that I run my circulating pump year round, to prevent sedimentation within the system (I think that's the reason they gave).  With these reported pump failures, why would I do that?  Any opinions on that issue?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firechief

After reading on here about the possibility of my Taco pump under warranty I called and talked to CB.  They said the Taco pump 009-F5 are under a 3 year warranty and I needed to look on the unit to see date of of manfacture which was 3/09.  Too bad my dealer thinks it's a 1 year now that I spent $180.00 yesterday for a new one, so we'll be having a chat with him later.  CB never mentioned anything about running that pump year round although during the summer I do run it for several hours every other week just to get some water moving around.

beenthere

Quote from: doctorb on March 24, 2011, 09:28:49 AM
I have posted previously on a conversation I had with CB a while back.  They made a verbal rec. that I run my circulating pump year round, to prevent sedimentation within the system (I think that's the reason they gave).  With these reported pump failures, why would I do that?  Any opinions on that issue?

dr
Makes one wonder about where this sedimentation comes from, and if it is accumulating (and there is no way to remove it [i.e. filter, or bowl to catch it]) , then what good is it to just keep it in suspension?  Over time, would get higher and higher concentration of the sedimentation...seems like to me, and then harder and harder for the pump to move it.
So, is there a filter or catch bowl of some sort to remove sedimentation?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ronwood

firechief,

I do not run my pumps year around on my CB and they been working fine. I flushed my unit out last year and I seen a little settlement. My main issue with my water has a high mineral content and the water had a bit of light brown color to that.

Replace is with water from another well that did not have all the rust.

Ron

firechief

I don't understand this Taco pump thing.  Replaced it yesterday with a new pump.  Well this evening wife called on my way home and said OWB was squealing like a little pig.  Went to the backyard and new Taco pump had a high pitch wail to it and temperature was down to 180.  Turned unit off and waited a few minutes, turned back on and pump has been quiet as ever for the last 2 hours.  I'm stumped.

thecfarm

How long are your lines to your house? Mine are only 40 feet away. I was going through them too. I went down to an 007 and had no problems for a couple years. Was only getting about 6 months out of them before that.The pump was too big and the return water was hitting the fins at a good speed and causing the fins-motor to turn too fast. Still nice and warm,so something must be right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firechief

thecfarrm,

That's interesting because when I put my unit in I bought 45 feet of pipe which was enough for my run plus both ends so sounds like you and I have about the same distance.  Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said a guy bought the same pump a few days before mine and had the same squealing noise, said it must have been a bad batch of Taco 009's.  He said he would look into the 3 year warranty thing and get back with me.

albirk

firecheif you may of had a little air pocket in your pump and when you turned it off the air went back into the stove and out the vent did the pump have a raddel and a growling sound to it and if so when you turned it off did you hear any bubbling sound because it sounds a lot like air      air is one of the biggest killers of the pumps

firechief

I did hear some air in the system when I installed the new pump.  Maybe that was part of my problem but I know for sure the high pitched squealing sound lasted for a minimum of 10 minutes that I'm aware of, not sure how long it was sqealing prior to my wife actually hearing it.

Thank You Sponsors!