iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

guys that cook

Started by northwoods1, March 22, 2011, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Something burlkraft was talking about in the other thread got me to thinking, it seems like there are a lot of guys on this board that like to cook, and eat :D

It always amazes me when I meet or talk to some guys who couldn't cook a boiled egg or even make a decent cup of coffee.

I know a lot of guys who are in charge of grilling the meat on the outdoor grill when it needs to be done, kind of seems like that is more of a "guy" thing... but man I just don't understand how some guys can get by not knowing how to cook when it is so easy in a lot of cases. I like to do it. Oh I have had my share of kitchen cooking failures but once you get the basics figured out there is nothing to it :)

You give me the basics like a good cut of red meat, chicken or fish, some potatoes, onions, or other veggies from the garden, some flour, salt, pepper, and other basic herbs, some eggs milk, baking powder, and sugar...maybe some fruit,  and I could easily cook up a 10 course meal including appetizers and desert :)

Jeff

Its probably one of my favorite things to do.  :)  We have a deal here that works great for both ends because I love to cook, and she does not, but I hate to do dishes.  If I do the cooking, she does the clean-up. We do have a dishwasher so it's not that bad. I'm not a messy cook.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

I can eat and cook my way out of the kitchen into the dinning room.
 Surf & turf is one of my favorites to stir up. I just got myself an Espresso machine for the coffee, man is that some good coffee come out of that.
 I make my own sausages and use a little electric grill to cook them on. This grill is sold as a grill cheese maker/cooker, but I find that it is best at making hamburg patties and sausages, cooks both sides at the same time. Tried my hand at smoking some sausages and meat this winter, that was a nice sucess  digin_2
I aint worth a dime at salades though, I figure I can eat them greens in my steak.    :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Burlkraft

I do all the cooking here.

I'm DanG good too!  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Sprucegum

I make supper every Sunday and any other day I get hungry before the cook does  ::) She is a far better cook than I will ever be; I just make some thing to eat whereas she makes a meal worth eating.

I have a brother-in-law who will sit at the table and starve if no food is set before him.

Bibbyman

I'm pretty good at cooking if I can use a skillet or the microwave.   I have made a lot of biscuits in the past but that's the extent of my baking skills.   Breakfast is my time to cook.  When I ask, "What's for breakfast?" Mary says, "I'm having toast."  That's when I get out the bacon and eggs.  In the last month or so she's taken back up making breakfast again.  Our usual is a bacon and egg omelet – heavy with green pepper, onion and taco style shredded cheese.

My dad did at least as much cooking as my mom.  He does most of the cooking now.  I got them a half gallon of milk the other day and when I put it in the fridge,  I noted a nice big steak about 2" thick and well marbled.  He'll cook it to death but that's the way he likes it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norm

We're pretty much the same way as Jeff and Tammy, I love to cook and Patty cleans up after me. I do a fair amount of dishes too but unlike Jeff I'm a messy cook!

sandhills

I really like cooking too, but about all I know is cooked low and slow on a smoker which my wife hates because a lot of the time it may be 9 oclock or so before I get home for supper.  Before I married her it never mattered if it wasn't ready until 11:00, now it's a little different, but it doesn't matter cause she can out cook me any day of the week. :)

LIL

I just yelled to Ian in the kitchen, that he should post in this thread ;)
He does ALL the cooking in this house, I used to do roasts, but now
I don't even need to do that.  He cooks, I clean, works for us  ;D
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

SwampDonkey

:) Amen. Nothing to it.  8)

Some people can eat out of boxes and cans, not me. ;D 

And I don't waste food. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

I like to splurge occasionally but for the most part I'm pretty frugal in our cooking. If we have extra rice I'll save it for fried rice, extra beef roast gets made into a beef stew. I shop the grocery store ads for what's on sale and ours runs a special on chicken hindquarters for .49lb every month or so. $10 of those get put in the freezer for bbq, chicken noodles and other recipes.

Never let it be said I'm not a cheap date.  :D

Roxie

Cowboy Bob is a remarkably good cook, and he knows spices and is not afraid to use them. 

We work together in the kitchen. 
Say when

Texas Ranger

I'm with you, Roxie, we team up in the kitchen.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

I'm just a poor Single guy that has to cook in order to maintain my boyish figure.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Yup, was there, done that.  What was the original cooking experience was growing up with my mom's cooking.  I was forced, as well as my sister, to learn to cook in order to grow up.  Bless her sainted soul, my mom could not cook, and father could not cook.  So we learned in self defense.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

submarinesailor

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 23, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
my boyish figure.

I'm going to have to think about that for a few minutes-----------NOT. :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

Burlkraft

Hey Bruce...had any egg rolls lately?

Them were the best egg rolls.......

Fulla veggies too  ;D ;D

isawlogs

I almost had some, Steve was ahead of me though  ::)   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

De ja vue about them egg rolls. We already know who the culprit(s) was/were. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

On the subject of eggrolls and the pig roast, IF we make it this year, the plan is to bring about 200-300 of them.  Last time we only had about 125.................and Steve had about 57 of them. ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Burlkraft

That's a nice round number  :D

submarinesailor

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 24, 2011, 08:54:57 AM
That's a nice round number  :D

Yes, eating too many of them can make you VERY ROUND! ;D ;D ;D ;D :o

Bruce

LeeB

I love to cook and in the past had even considered profesional training and going the chef route. I am a totally messy cook. Lindy loves my cooking but hates to clean behind me. Why use one pan when three will do?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

People say I should have been a chef, but I chose truck mechanic instead.

Cooking for me is pure enjoyment now and I wouldn't even want to do it professionally part time. That would wreck it, besides it's nice to just say let's order pizza cuz I don't feel like cookin'  :D :D

AdamG

I can cook pretty good, If I do say so myself.
One of the best gifts my g/f got me was a Calphalon Unison set for x-mas last year. Works out nice since I'm single now  :D
I love to smoke, but my smoker is a pos... waiting patiently to upgrade. After the owb purchase, maybe. Number one priority after I got the house was a grill, plopped down the dough for a Weber Genesis. set there for quite a while.
I commited myself to making a black forest cake for my mom on mothers day... That'll be my start into baking lol.
My brother and his wife are completely content eating boxed dinners... don't know how they do it either.
It's hard as a guy to find other guys to talk to about cooking. Grilling can spark up a convo all day long- but actual cooking and baking everyone just calls you a homo  :o

Thank You Sponsors!