iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check out the skidder on NH craigslist

Started by logman81, March 22, 2011, 05:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Was doing some craigslist surfing and cam across a nice c5d tree farmer skidder. Looks like a nice little skidder, they say it needs a little tlc gear for winch and some brake work. Might be a possible replacement for my tractor. :) Check it out and let me know what you all think of it and any info you might be able to give me. 8)
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

I think that's a C4, with a 353, it was called the pulpwood special, it has the light frame, and the small rear ends, i had one just like it.

The biggest problem is it has the old Branden wench on it, i couldn't get parts 25 yrs ago, you would have to find a good 9, 20, or 119 Gearmatic for it.   [ i think i have Branden spell't wrong]

This cross breed c4/c5 is a axle breaker if you try to use it like a c5, it was to much power for the weight of the machine, i called it a wheel spinner.

logman this would make a nice skidder with a few changes and used right, its a fun machine, if i had one again i would put a little fluid in the tires, it would ride better, make it much smother machine. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

Its a Branden mechanical winch, i didn't have the internet to look up parts, this opens it up, you might be able to find them.

I can't see the wench real good, it might be a Hyd Tulsa winch, my dad had one on his c5, it was a very good winch.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Thanks lumberjack48 I also think it might be a c4 not a c5. It's got the good engine in it though so it definitely is not underpowered. If it does have a mechanical winch do you think it would be better to swap it for a gearmatic for ease of finding parts and operation of it? It says it needs brake work what typically goes on them?   

lumberjack48

I would check it out, if winch is a cheap fix, run it on till you can't fix it, the Braden works good, just a little slower putting in gear and taking out  [ if it is a Braden ]
I would look for a 119 or a 20 gearmatic, 25 yrs ago a guy could pick one up for 1200., working order.

The brakes are not a big dollar idem, your a mechanic, I'm sure you would go with disk brakes, something not to get to concerned about when buying, non of these TF's had brakes.

logman81

Sounds good lumberjack48. What is the machine capable of skidding without pushing it to hard? A cord or more? Seems like it would be a good machine for doing thinning work and small saw logs. I would probably do the disc brake conversion need those brakes around here. What do you think it weighs 12,000 or more? Price seems ok if it is a good runner with easy fixes.   

lumberjack48

Its call a pulpwood special because its fast and a puller, it wants to be pushed hard, a cord or more easy, its a big log skidder, don't take me wrong, this will pull a 1000 foot Pine on a straight pull.

I liked the one i had, i didn't like the 18.4x34 tires on it, way to tipsy.

I would run 16.9x30's or 18.4x26's , my dad had 16.9x30's on his c5, they worked good.

I had that skidder for a 1 year, broke 1 axle, this wasn't the skidders fault, it was the operator, he was making to much of a right angle turn with about 2 cords behind him, it was walking on one rear tire, if the axle wouldn't have broke i think it would have powered it self right over, probably killing him, [ It was the last day he worked]

Not sure on the weight, probably a little lighter than 12,000   

logman81

Good info lumberjack48 I didn't think it was that light I figured 12,000 or a little over. Sounds to me like it would be the perfect machine for what I do. Now it will be a mad rush to finish the job I'm on to get the money up for it before it's gone. ;D

lumberjack48

logman check out the C4 on Bemidji craigslist, this is nice, a little bit high, but if everything has been gone though i'm sure he has a lot of time and money in it.

May be its just been painted, to make it look new, this is the same machine i payed 9500. for new

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

logman81

Found another one even closer to me on ct craigslist. It has a Isuzu 80 hp diesel, I think that it might be a repower in it. It's a c4bd long chassis with Rockwell axles. Problem is he is asking way to much for it. :( I'm not sure how much they went for new but I think they went for less.

Thank You Sponsors!