iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing with the times

Started by ElectricAl, December 19, 2003, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

Last week Linda decided to make a change to the door I built last year.

Linda's mom hurt her back and now is an Incomplete Quadriplegic :-[. This means mom spends a lot of time in a wheel chair :'( and walks very little (with a walker).

Our place is at grade and we have plenty of concrete, except going through this door ::)

This is mom's Christmas present. She now has access to everywhere. She only needs a spotter for the step now ;D

We thought Jeff would like to see the improved door. Jeff kept looking at it while he was here, I think he liked it ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D._Frederick

Al,
We are very sorry to hear about your mother-in-laws back problem, may I ask how she injured herself? I am having a lot of back problems from arthritis so I am interested about others problems.

DanG

Hot Dog! That's a purty door. Must be the one that goes to the Brokaw suite, eh? ;D

Al & Linda, I'm sorry to hear of Mom's difficulties. I hope things will brighten up for her in the future. Something as simple as a handrail in the right place can be a very thoughtful gift for someone who needs it. Good job! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mark M

I went through Norway Iowa last week and stopped to get gas at the Cenex station. Noticed the handrail was missing in the men's room. Must be a coincidence? :o ;) :D

That is a DanG nice door - where does it go? Wish your mom well and a Merry Christmas.

Mark

Norm

Good job Al, that was very thoughtful of you. Sorry to hear about your mom Linda. :'(

I guess we know whos name is mud for not stopping at any of the great tourist attractions (By The Foot Sawmill and Mudd Creek Farms) while he was in Iowa. I know the only way I'll ever forgive em is if I find a D-6 Cat under my tree. NO NO the one outside my shed not the Christmas tree inside. :D

Jeff

QuoteThat is a DanG nice door - where does it go?

Mark

I SAID NOT FUNNY!!
 ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ElectricAl

DanG Mark that's a real coincidence :o

But only a coincidence ;)

Linda has a special connection with the guy that controls the LIGHTNING

The thought of Lightning striking me dead keeps me in line :)

D,

Be very careful with the arthritis in your back. That is what partially severed the Mother-in-laws spinal cord.

Linda will post more information soon.

Norm,

The door is my handy work, but the grab bar was Linda's handy work.

She's more than a handyman, she's a handywoman ;D.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

D._Frederick,

Al is correct, my mother has common "arthritis" (Degenerative Osteo-Arthritis to be more medically specific).  The cartilage deteriorates, and somehow causes hard build up in joints, eventually preventing movement in the joints.  The arthritis can be caused by injury or inactivity, but most often is caused by wear and tear of the joints over the years (especially in over weight or physically over worked people).

Mom, 60ish, has had problems for awhile with her hips, knees, and back.  August of 2002, she was lifting a stock pot filled with water from the sink to the stove, so she could cook corn on the cob.  All of the sudden she felt a pain in her back between the shoulders.  She then felt so weak she about collapsed.  My Dad happened to be beside her and was able to help her to a chair.  They called an ambulance.  My mom had had quadruple bypass surgery over Christmas 2001, so everyone assumed something must be wrong with her heart.  The entrance to their home had too sharp of corners to use a stretcher through the front door, so they ambulance paramedics carried her out by her arms and legs (not a good idea for a back injury).  The emergency room found that a "spur" caused by her arthritis had partially severed her spinal cord.  She had emergency surgery and was in the hospital through October of the same year (for rehabilitation).  She continues rehab, and has gone from not being able to move any of her extremities, to being able to walk short distances with a special walker.  She has to have someone help her in case her legs collapse, but she has made great progress.  She still remains in a wheelchair most of time.  She has passed the tests required to be able to drive a car just recently, although she cannot get into and out of the car by herself.  I told her she should have Dad trade her car in for a handicap accessible van.   ;D

I appreciate the concern you all have expressed.  You're a great team! ;)  Thanks!

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

D._Frederick

Linda,
I am terribly sorry for the problem your mother is having from arthritis and we pray that she can gain more useage of her legs. I have the same problem with ostro-arthritis in the 3 lowest vertebras in my back. I had the same thing as your mother, I was lacing my shoes and it was like I had been stabbed in the back. The passage that the nerve that runs down the leg has been reduced by half. If I stand up more than a couple of minutes, the pain will bring tears. The doctors are going to try cortisone shots to the spine to reduce swelling of the nerve, if that don't work then surgery.

Merry Christmas to you poeple and we hope and pray that next year will be better.

EZ

Linda,
Never heard of this spur thing until last year a friend had it in her shoulder. Had it operated on and its been 6 months now and still doing the rehab thing. Painful thing that I can see, hope I dont ever have to go threw something like that, but one never knows. We pray for your moms recovery.

Nice door, Al.

Happy Birthday, Jesus.

EZ

Mark M

Norm, I wasn't really in Iowa (where is dat anyway?) I was just fibbin' like Noble does sometimes.

Norm

Ohhhhhhhh, jeez all these years living in Iowa have dulled my senses. :D

Does this mean I won't be getting that D-6. ;D

Bro. Noble

Mark,

What a thing to say,  especially the week before Christmas,  not to mention slanderating one of Santy's helpers :o

Besides that's not even funny :-/

Now Jeff eying that door----------THATS FUNNY !!    :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mark M

Sorry Noble, I must have mixed up fibbin with telling tall tales ;)

Al, just curious but does Norway have a Cenex station? every town in ND bigger than 19 people has a Cenex station so I figgered a place like Iowa must have them too.

Norm, we are fresh out of those little Cat's but I can send you a D11, should I ship that next day air and bill the freight to Jeff? It's only 248,600 lbs.

Bro. Noble

Mark,

Well----OK

But remember and never forget that the embellishment of factual data is an art and should be respected as such ;D

Norm

Well ok but I really need it in a hurry I'll bet Sonic Air will get it here faster. See if they have an Antonov in their fleet. I'm sure Jeff won't mind the little extra cost seemins since it's for me.  ;D

Now about Noble telling a fib, the only time I've ever heard anything from him I doubted was when he was telling about Iowa. :D

ElectricAl

Mark,

We have a D11H sitting at the dealership waiting for delivery.

Wow, What a ride!

Norm

Mark I was thinking about your question if we have as many cenex gas stations in Iowa. I'll bet Jeff can give you an idea of how many there are between the hot dog place and Al's home. ;D

Bro. Noble

Norm,

I just love it when you guys make fun of the 'Big Guy' :D :D :D

Now as far as embellishing the facts about Iowa,  Whitepe gave me a tape by that Haywood Banks feller.  He sings a little tune describing his tour of Iowa that pretty much says it all----------corn, corn, corn,corn--------what's that smell?-----corn,corn,corn----etc.  

About the only thing I can think of that he missed was --------wind,wind,wind ::)

Norm

Actually he missed beans, beans, beans.

Now don't get me in trouble with the 'Big Guy', I was only trying to help answer Marks question. I figured since Jeff was just in that part of our state not long ago he might remember.

Mark M

Dat pesky Noble is a toublemaker, better keep an eye on him. ;)

What's corn Noble? Is it sumpin like cottonwood?

Bro. Noble

Mark,

those things aren't grown here much.  I think they are pretty much the same except I think corn makes tolerable stove fuel while cottonwood is pretty much just a weed.

whitepe

Linda,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's spinal problems.   :(
I will keep your Mom and your family in my prayers.
This reminds me that each and everyone of us
needs to thank the almighty every day for the health
that we have.  Everyone of us will have to deal
with medical problems some day.  It has always helped
me to remember that the Lord never gives us more than
we can bear.    

As for Jeff,  
I sure wish his posts on this topic were a little bit
more CHARMIN.      ;D ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Thank You Sponsors!