iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real food for type 2 diabetics.

Started by Bibbyman, March 21, 2011, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

The other thing to remember is that you are not cutting out carbs (or salt, or fat etc) totally. You are just limiting it.

That means you can eat some bread, or potatoes etc. Just limit the amount. Same with salt, your body NEEDS some salt (and carbs and fats) , just watch the amount you consume over the day. So even if your beef jerky has 50% of your salt ration for the day, if you cook the ration of potatoes without salt (and even add a little butter) then you can still stay within your daily rations.

With diabetes it does seem best to spread your carbs/sugars evenly across the whole day, makes it easier for your body and medications to keep things in balance.

When you try and go on any extreme diet your body seems to instinctively know if it's missing out on something and you get a craving for it. You usually give in, and the diet fails, even if it was a good one to start with. By allowing "rations" of the stuff you like (and actually need) you keep things under control and can stay on your "good enough" diet.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

"(Do those speedos come in a bib style?) "

Just a warning DO NOT Google "Borat + mankini" with Images - you have been warned.

:-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buck

Another diet option is the Mediterrainian ( prolly misspelled). I have a health coach thru my insurance plan that introduced me to it. I like it for more options.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bibbyman

The title of this topic is "Real food...".  The reason I titled it such is that Mary has brought home from the library by the armloads and bought cookbooks for diabetics.  I've thumbed through them and scant little would I chose to eat.  
 steve_smiley
After finding my A1c test results,  I bought the book, "Diabetics for Dummies" to have some reference to start with.   It says in there that historically diet books were assembled with recopies that used the best foods for a diabetic diet.  But these recipes did not appeal to many ethnic groups as they were unaccustomed to those foods.  Newer cookbooks are being written to work with foods that are common to ethnic groups. I need a down home, country redneck cookbook with food that I recognize.

Roxie,  I mentioned I liked the looks of the country biscuits I seen on the web site you recommended.   I see it uses a flour substitute called "Carbquik".  I poked around trying to find it and that stuff is expensive! Even more so when you pay shipping. Do you use that?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

There is also another flour sub that comes from Peru, forget the name, Redmills puts it out. But it's expensive to, $12 for what might be 2 lbs.  ::) :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Yes, I do use Carbquik and I also use Dreamfield's pasta because it is reduced carbohydrates. 

Say when

Bibbyman

Quote from: Roxie on March 24, 2011, 12:30:52 PM
Yes, I do use Carbquik and I also use Dreamfield's pasta because it is reduced carbohydrates. 

I think it retails for something over $20/3lb box.  I seen it on-line for $18 something but the shipping hand handling was $12.00.  Another place had it for lest than $12 and shipping was a flat rate of a little less than $5.00.

Can you find it at a health food store?
Sawing since '94

Roxie

Say when

Bibbyman

I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

I was prescribed two 500 mg tablets a day for my type 2 diabetes.   I would have side effect such as stomach cramps, gas, you name it. And I always was feeling hungry. 

About a month ago we grilled some steaks, had baked potato, and I got crazy and drank a light beer.  I completely forgot to take my evening pill until bedtime so I didn't take it (as I'm to take it with food).  Next morning I checked my blood glucose and it was something like 117.  Well allrighty then!  So for the next few days I'd only take one pill with breakfast.  I still had the uncomfortable side effect but they subsided by bedtime and I slept better.  Then I figured out I could just cut the 500 mg pill in two and take half with breakfast and half with supper.  That's been working out a lot better.  I still had some pressure and other side effects but not nearly as noticeable.

I've had a visit with my Dr. a week ago and told him what I was doing.  He was ok so far.  They drew blood to do an A1c test.  I've not got the results back and don't expect them to be perfect because of the past high readings but I hope they have improved.

I hadn't checked my blood glucose level in a week but did this morning.   It was 108.  8)
Sawing since '94

Don_Papenburg

My wife makes 4 loaves of whole wheat bread at a time . We freeze 3 and put one in the frige.  Put it in an airtight container. It will keep for a week or more that way. We also do not slice it till we are ready to use the loaf. Then we use the meat slicer too make nice even slices.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

There is a slim possibility that three loaves might make it to the Freezer in my house, but the 4th loaf wouldn't have a chance to cool.  It would be placed on the table with a sharp knife and a pound of butter.  Things would be fast and furious for a few minutes.   The only thing left to be put up would be the knife.  :D

SwampDonkey

I make two loaves on the weekend, mostly for sandwich bread and toast, the first loaf is usually gone in 3 days. These are bigger loaves than store bought.  ;D  Aside from the yeast none of the contents are altered with chemicals and preserves.  Sweetened with honey. Just pulled out the second loaf from the freezer. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

SD this winter when things slow down for you look into yeast starters. I keep mine in the fridge and just keep adding to it flour and water then use half of it for my next batch of bread. I still do regular yeast breads too but the starter has a better flavor.  :)

Don_Papenburg

Tom ,In that case only two would make it to the freezer ;D.   Just cant beat warm oven fresh bread cut into extra thick slices and real butter melting into it . Or better yet melting through it. I would catch holyhell if I ate the whole  loaf so I stop at just short of 1/2.  :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jim king

Here hundreds of people have had good results in treating Type II Diabetes by drinking a tea made from the root of the Huasai Palm tree.  They go on a very low carbohydrate diet for one month while drinking the tea and a good percentage no longer have any symptoms.  Huasai is the palm grown for the canned palm heart you buy up there.  After the month of dieting and drinking the tea they lead a normal life eating what they want.

They simply cut  pieces of above ground root as shown in the photo below and boil it and make the tea.  The photo of the root fingers is not from the Huasai but I just took it from a coconut palm in the back yard to show the finger roots.  The other photo is of an adult Huasai tree.

I am not diabetic but have tried the tea and it is just like tea which I donĀ“t like.

jim king

Well, I was close.  I just ask a friend who has been treating people for years for diabetes here and he just sent me this. 

QuoteFor diabetes II: no sugar in any form (that includes no fruits), no carbohydrates, no sugar substitutes and if you must fry something, just use a couple spoonfuls of olive oil. It's an 8 week program taking the "tea" three times a day, half hour before meals.

jim king

This article kind of matches what I was saying but simpler.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/24/low-calorie-diet-hope-cure-diabetes

I did a search for -------diabetes huasai---- and there is a quite a bit of information in Spanish but maybe you can get it in English up there.  I get almost all in Spanish here in SA.

SwampDonkey

Foreign sites might be blocked for access to some sites Jim. I know CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) blocks some ip's.

Thank You Sponsors!